When does Hillary throw in the towel?

My mom and I are betting on when Hillary announces her withdrawal from the race for the democratic nomination. Can I just tell you how weird it is that my mother and I are voting for the same person? The only other time that happened was when I was 17. I wasn’t very politically aware, but was excited about the idea of voting (what an idiot), so I voted for the person my mom told me to vote for. A lot has changed since then. A LOT.

Anyway, watching the Dem nomination race unfold, and listening to the “experts”, the only question that appears to remain for most is when Hillary withdraws from the race. Statistically, the race is pretty much already decided. Seems like she is still in it because she can be and because she is relentless (I admire that quality when it’s driving toward a result). My feelings about that are political and so I’ll just keep them to myself. But I think there’s a lot of speculation going on, irrespective of political affiliation, about when Hillary calls it quits (and maybe focuses 4 years down the road).

I think Wednesday is the day.

My mom thinks it’s late Tuesday.

I’m sure that the Hillary supporters will not want it to happen and I feel for them. I miss Bill Bradley. Anyway, what do you think? I’m not looking for your political preference (and let’s keep it civil….people get fired up about politics). Just looking for an idea of when you think it’s going to happen.

It may be the length of the race this year (when was the last time you can recall that they weren’t campaigning? I’m pretty sure I was wearing bell bottoms back then) and the ridiculously copious media coverage but I am ready to move onto the elections.

1. jackbond says:

As a former Hillary Clinton fan, I sincerely regret ever defending her in the past. Her ongoing efforts to steal the nomination from Obama, which have included deception and some other truly repugnant acts, have convinced me that she is a person of absolutely zero character. If by some miracle she were to gain the nomination at this point, I would actively support John McCain (someone I truly truly despise.)

2. HeatherLeigh says:

OK, so what’s your bet for when she calls things off?

3. n4cer says:

FYI, jackbond, Obama is trying to steal this election, and the "Dems" helping him do so at their peril. Saturday, they violated the rules and the charter of the Party when they stole delegates from Clinton and assigned them and Uncommitted to Obama. The RBC has no authority to do it, yet they did after a backroom meeting. Obama is McGovern ’08, and his nomination will guarantee a McCain Presidency. Ignore the media, who’ve been in the tank for Obama from the beginning, (and will be until he’s the nominee and they turn their support to McCain) and check the electoral map. Obama has consistently tied or lost to McCain for weeks (if not months) while Clinton consistently wins (and this was prior to the RBC guaranteeing the defection of core Dems by making it clear that they are not interested in fair reflection). When the Party no longer counts the votes, follows the rules, and represents the people, the Party is no longer needed.

As for repugnant acts, it is the Obama campaign that floated a memo urging the media to latch onto factual Clinton statements and call them racist. It was an Obama surrogate that openly race-baited following Clinton’s NH win claiming she didn’t cry for the victims of hurricane Katrina, and Obama himself, doning a southern accent, talking about the Okie-Dokie and how they Bamboozle you. It was also Obama who was responsible for many sexist, misogynistic remarks about Clinton (e.g., "Periodically, when she’s down, she lashes out", "the claws come out", she’s likeable enough, ad nosium). He and his surrogates have also threatened Black SDs that didn’t support him for "standing in the way of the first Black President".

And if Clinton had belonged to a racist, anti-American church for 20 years, named her book after the pastor’s sermon, was supported by the likes of Ayers, Auchi, Rezko, et al., she never would’ve been allowed to run. If she had the light resume of Obama, she also never would’ve been allowed to run. But there’s an obvious double standard at play, not to mention those in the party that just don’t want the Clintons in charge again, despite all they’ve done supporting the same people over the years that are now their backstabbers.

It’s truly disgusting. Prior to this campaign, I never considered voting for a Republican President. I have zero reason to as I’m Black, but I shall join millions of others in voting for McCain should this farce play out. It’s the only way the Party will learn not to interfere with people’s votes.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Oh crap. I am taking responsibility for the fact that I should have known better. Perhaps the statement: "I’m not looking for your political preference (and let’s keep it civil….people get fired up about politics)." No more diatribes from anyone. I won’t publish them. Go watch CNN or Fox News or MSNBC. Write on their blogs. When can I just get voting buttons on my blog so I don’t have to invite the heated conversation. Mea culpa.

I was just asking a simple question. Sheesh.

5. HeatherLeigh says:

n4cer – thanks for the follow up comment and yeah, I’m not going to publish it, but I appreciate you reading what I said 🙂

6. deb says:

my preference, as i’ve been pretty open about, was hillary.  i think it’ll be wednesday.  there are more meetings, super-delegates who will declare, and while i think negotiations for how hillary exits and what she gets for it are going on….i think it might take until wednesday to work all that out, as well as who is going to say what when, etc.

so i’m going with wednesday.

all the best!

7. Joe Enos says:

Based on what I’ve seen so far, I’d guess Hillary isn’t going to give up even after this week.  You never know what’s going to happen at the convention.  Lawyers can drag things on forever, and if enough people have their way, some of these controversies may just pop back up long enough to warrant a recount, a revote, or delegates just changing their minds.

She just really doesn’t seem like the kind of person who quits.

8. Lauren Smith says:

I don’t think it makes sense for her to drop out so soon after the elections are all decided. She’s still within closing distance if she and her supporters can convince the super-delegates that she is the only one who can win in the fall. As n4cer has so eloquently shown above, there are plenty of attacks still to come against Obama.

If this were the end of the road for Clinton, she’d be taking a much more conciliatory approach, but as we are seeing increasingly, the anti-Obama, "I can win where he can’t" rhetoric is hitting full stride. I’m sure that a lot of it is just frustration on the supporter’s side with the lagging performance of their candidate, but the rhetoric doesn’t come from nowhere, and if the Clinton camp is pushing the line, then they aren’t ready to bail just yet.

Even if Obama were to hit the "magic number" of delegates, those supers are not truly pledged until they finally vote. My guess is that she will be in it until the convention when all the super votes will need to be counted. Until then, we’re going to see increasing attacks on Obama’s electability and more attempts to paint Obama as a racist hatemonger.

So to give a guess: August 28.

9. HeatherLeigh says:

Oh no…not August 28th!

10. mdapsauski says:

17 million people have voted for Hillary, and I don’t think the democrats can afford to alienate those voters with a drawn-out battle about superdelegates.  I think that we will see Clinton and Obama start to make joint appearances starting tomorrow in New York, which will lead to Hillary joining the ticket as VP.  That would put some pressure back on the republicans to come up with an equally strong vp candidate.

11. Wine-Oh says:

I sense today (or this week) is the day. How much longer can she keep these shenanigans up?

12. HeatherLeigh says:

mdapsauski – I’d be very surprised if Hillary is on the ticket.  I don’t think Obama will be forced into it by negotiations about when she will leave the race. My guess is that he will pick someone else because he can.  Other dems will rush to his aid to unify the party. Just what I see in my crystal ball 🙂

13. patblue says:

I am late in the game here, I was undecided until last week, picked Hillary – and now hear news that I am essentially to late with that.  I hope she doesn’t bow out, but realize it is probably a reality that she does.  I am not sure who I would vote for in that case, it’s not Obama, and it’s not McCain.

14. HeatherLeigh says:

Well, Patblue, I don’t think you’ll have much in the way of other options. How can you go from undecided to only ever voting for one person in one week? Did something happen?

I guess not voting is voting in a way.

15. deb says:

guess your mom was right.

all the best!

16. HeatherLeigh says:

Hmm, I could still be right. Clinton has not spoken yet!

17. Patblue says:

I was Hillary all along – and then I faltered and ran w/ Obama mainly because of peer pressure, then I found my voice again for Hillary after the most recent church hubub that caused Obama to denounce his affiliation with it.  And (sigh) yes, I think I will be doing the the no vote option for my vote now.

18. NativeWizdom says:

My bet is Friday. Remember she had over 16M votes for her. She can take her time and she should. I want to vote for HC but I will vote for BO.

JMC is too old, I cannot relate to him, altho he is my senator for AZ, I just think, we need a new direction for the US.  Lately he as too many "senior moments" and well I guess I don’t want the red button pushed while he is having a "senior moment".

Just my thoughts….

19. HeatherLeigh says:

patblue- as long as you are doing it for a reason, and not out of laziness, that makes sense to me.

NativeWizdom – I do hope there’s not a red button anymore! I thought we lost it after Reagan.

20. Paul says:

I just want to know when Mike Huckabee’s throwing in the towel.

21. HeatherLeigh says:

Either any day now or several months ago.