Memorial Day

Never really thought about it much before but appreciated the day off. That’s really too bad but I guess unless you have lost someone in war (or lived in a war zone), it’s not as real to you. Anyway, both of my grandfathers were in the military and both are gone now.

So I have decided that today I am thinking of them. Whether the war is right or wrong, the commitment to country is honorable. Miss my grandpas. And I am going to enjoy the day off in their honor.

1. Al says:

Isn’t it great that you have the freedom to say what ever you like.  You can start thanking the men and women you sacrificed their lifes for this great country.  They are the ones that have made your freedom possible.

“Never really thought much about it”

Wow.  How insulting your comment to these great men and women you have sacrificed their lifes and for those who serve today.  Too many people in this country take everything for granted and don’t think about the sacrifices that have been made that makes your life more enjoyable.

I want to thank your grandfathers for their service and I’m sorry that they have passed on, but Memorial day is about more than just your grandfathers.  It’s about all the men and women who have served and you can honor all of them for your day off.  I haven’t lost any family members in the service but I still think about all the men and women who have served.

“Whether the war is right or wrong”

Did you mean all wars or just the Iraq war?  I take it as you meant the Iraq war.  Nobody wants war but there comes a time when war is needed.  Don’t forget we were attacked and we went on the offensive.  It’s better to fight them in a foreign land or would you rather have the battle in your backyard.

Al

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Al, I am not going to argue politics with you. I have no interest in that. Just want to enjoy my day and think about my grandfathers, like I said.

Interesting that a post about remembering my grandfathers can elicit an ugly argument. Thanks for that, Al. Happy Memorial Day.

3. Wine-Oh says:

Al, need some guacamole for that chip on your shoulder? I don’t think your post is fair to what Heather wrote how she is using the day to remember people close to her. Sheesh!

4. Al says:

Heather,

I wasn’t talking politics and I’m interested in what part of my argument do you think is ugly?

My main point is that Memorial Day is about all who have served and I think a lot of people in this country don’t think that and that is a shame.

Have a great day off!!

Al

5. wisemx says:

I am a Patriot Guard and really appreciate your post today.

Also published a Memorial Day tribute on my Blog.

Salute,

Mark Wisecarver

P.S. Honor Guard duties is what I use my Harley for.

Ooh Rah!

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Wine-Oh, thanks!

Al, like I said, I don’t care to argue. I’ll just let your initial comment sit there and people can think of it what they want. I’m having a great day off!

wisemx – what is a Patriot Guard? Similar to the National Guard?

7. gareth says:

The 1950 Joint Resolution of Congress which created Memorial Day says: β€œRequesting the President to issue a proclamation designating May 30, Memorial Day, as a day for a Nation-wide prayer for peace.” (64 Stat.158).

A day to pray for peace πŸ™‚

8. Mike W says:

Like you, I’ve been lucky enough to have never lived in a war zone and have never served in the military. Growing up on the liberal side of the ledger, I looked down on the miltary until I got some life experience under my belt. Now that I see the bigger picture, I’m forever grateful to those who have fought for our freedom. Thank you for your thoughts regarding Memorial Day.

On a different note, I just began reading your blog and really like it….even if you are a USC fan:) I grew up in Lincoln, NE where it was in vogue to dislike the Trojans, AKA the University of Spoiled Children. There’s no denying that the Pete Carroll era has produced some great teams that are lotsa fun to watch. And methinks those Husker fans were jealous of y’all sunnin and funnin’ on the beaches when they were shoveling snow in a blizzard.

Keep up the good work.

9. gareth says:

Al who was it that attacked you? Iraq?

15 of the 19 hijackers were from Saudi Arabian, a US ally.

NONE were from Iraq.

Osama bin Laden is from Saudi Arabian.

He did shift to Afghanistan to help fight the Russians, the US helped train and supply him, he was a good fighter.

Could it be you made a little mistake and invaded the wrong country? They are after all not that far apart, easy to mix them up.

When you did turn up in Iraq there were no WMDs and No al-Qaeda.

Saddam Hussein hated Osama and al-Qaeda and kept them out.

Iraq NOW has al-Qaeda πŸ™

gareth

10. RB says:

All of the WWII vets in my family are dying left and right. It really sucks to lose people who worked and faced death for the greater good of the planet (one was a member of MacArthur’s personal guard). Same goes for all military.

Al has a pretty good sized high horse.

11. HeatherLeigh says:

gareth – that sounds like a great interpretation! And by "pray", I assume that those of us that don’t do that can "wish" for it πŸ™‚ I think that could be another inspiration for celebrating it! And what you said about Iraq is right. Most of us here in the US know that. I guess the news didn’t get to everyone. πŸ™‚

Mike W – thanks! I will add that 75% of us were on financial aid. I was mostly on scholarship, but had student loans that I finally finished paying off when I was 36! I’m not saying that there weren’t some spoiled kids there; but most of us weren’t and the spoiled ones still had to be pretty smart (even smarter now that the average GPA has risen so much over the last 15 years….geez, I was fortunate to get in when I did). And yeah, it was totally sunny and fun and aside from academics (I was a business major so it was really between USC and Indiana U for me), I have to admit that played a role in my decision. Half of the college experience is outside the classroom. And I also admit that I am proud of our football team, but I’m no fair-weather fan. I sat in a sports bar in Chicago through the games of the Paul Hackett era and had to put up with everything the Big Ten and ND fans dished out. It sucked big time! πŸ™‚

RB – yes, that was/is a great generation of Americans. I hope that someday people look back on later generations the same way.

12. wisemx says:

Hi Heather,

Patriot Guards serve roles of Honor and Protection for active U.S. Military personnel, Veterans and at services for our Missing in Action (MIA/POW).

By the way, Ray Wisecarver, my younger brother, is a Naval officer with more than 25 years of active service now.

We grew up with no father and embraced our nation as family. πŸ˜‰

Salute,

Mark Wisecarver

13. HeatherLeigh says:

Al – I’m not posting any more of your comments. Perhaps I should make one thing clear here: this blog is not a democracy. If I think you are being nasty (which the comment you posted but I moderated out certainly is), then I can and will delete your comment. You post comments here at my pleasure. You have no rights here. You have paid for nothing.

On a less mature note: if you dish it out, you have to be able to take it and based on your comment, I don’t think that is the case. So perhaps it’s best if you move along now. Getting nasty with someone who disagrees with you is not part of the culture I want to have on my blog.

14. Bill says:

"I am going to enjoy the day off in their honor…."

That is exactely the reason most of us were in the service Heather. I hope you enjoyed the day.

15. HeatherLeigh says:

Bill- thanks for your service! I had a great Memorial Day! The sun was out.