Whilst the TV is off, I can get stuff done

I’ve kind of lost interest in TV lately. It’s the whole “is it making my life better?” thing that I have been going through. It’s amazing the other places that your mind can go to when it’s not overstimulated by commercials for Proactive and reruns of shows you have already seen before. I’m not saying that I don’t watch TV anymore. I just pretty much only watch things I have recorded (with the exception of the news on occasion) and I only record things that I care about. I’m sick of being bombarded with crap. My brain wants peace. Which is why I am also 86ing a bunch of the magazine subscriptions and why I haven’t gone through my bloglines account in about a week (until this morning).

Some of the things I don’t care about and therefore don’t want to hear about: Brad and Angelina, Jenna Bush’s Wedding, American Idol, DWTS, Nicole Ritchie, anyone’s “baby bump” for that matter, Mariah Carey, celebrity weddings, the fourth hour of the Today show (mind numbing and irritating all at once), Miley Cyrus, weight loss makeovers, contrived reality TV, Jessica Simpson’s heartbreak (again?), pro football, pro baseball, gas prices (you can’t do anything about it except for vote), oh yeah…Hilary Clinton, the rain in Seattle (yeah, haha…we never heard about that before), celeb DUIs, bad plastic surgery, post-baby weight loss secrets, celeb tattoos, stuff you can buy on sale (Tuesday Morning is so not interesting to me anymore), fast food or crappy food of any kind, the problem with today’s youth, whether we are buying Yahoo!, whether John Travolta got hair plugs, anything related to Tom Cruise, EVOO (the acronym, not the food), economic stimulus (how ’bout we drop some interest rates guys?), bloopers, getting Punk’d or Punking, dresses on the red carpet, movie premieres (though I have to say: hated SJPs hat but love her for wearing it), paparazzi, carboydrates, did I mention American Idol?

Anyway, it’s amazing what the silence sounds like, or doesn’t. Last weekend, I took a 4 day weekend so I could spend 2 days “doing” and 2 days relaxing. That’s called progress. I’d forgotten some of the things I loved like reading and doing creative things. I’m going to create some artwork for my living room this weekend. I bought a big picture at Costco to fill up some empty wall space in my living room a few years back. This was before my “don’t buy it if you don’t love it phase”. Now the picture just annoys me.

I’ve become addicted to this blog, because I like looking at beautiful interiors. It’s inspiring. I get ideas that feed my creative side (oh yeah, I’m right brain dominant for shizzle). About 5 years ago I did some artwork for my house that I got a lot of compliments on (think Mondrian meets Pigpen)…it’s in my attic and I don’t feel like going up there right now or I would take a picture. I also scanned all my family photos over this past year since my grandparents both passed. So I am going to create some new artwork that works with my colors here and I am going to incorporate some images from family photos. I’ll post a picture when I’m done. I may just paint right over my Costco canvas.

I’m not sure why, but I am relieved to release some of the noise from my life and focus on something enjoyable and creative. Also, the sun is out; how can you not feel good about that? Now my whole “TV off” thing should not give you the wrong impression. I am working my way through seasons 1-4 of Nip Tuck (I’m one of those dorks who will buy the DVDs so they can watch the series in order…feel free to pass judgment). But I am doing it slowly.

As for the rest of the weekend, aside from dinner with part of the fam and a birthday get-together with friends, I’ve got nothing planned. NOTHING. And that’s the way I like it these days. There will be minimal e-mail checking (hello, ego. Because e-mail means people like you and you are important…jeez).

1. Programmerman says:

I’m so with you on ditching TV.  Sure, I have a couple shows, too (my big one is Doctor Who), but I don’t just sit and watch TV.  It’s really allowed me to get close to my camera, trying to figure out how to take great pictures and why I thought a self-portrait-a-day project would be a good idea.

And something I never would do when I was younger — just sit quietly.  It’s not boring, it’s refreshing.  My mind is finally starting to open to my surroundings.  It’s no longer about attacking boredom, which is nice.

2. wisemx says:

We must be related. 😉

In our house my lovely wife and I have very strong rules regarding TV and our three young children.

I do have admit however that I really enjoy Dr. Who and the new Battle Star Galactica.

It really ticks me off big time the regular channels can use the "A" word in front of children now.

I’ve made it a personal challenge to never use words like that, which used to be the norm.

3. Roger says:

I think what I like the most about limited TV is not having to see another commercial for that credit report outfit. Man, those commercials are annoying.

Buying a set of DVD’s so you can watch the show on your terms with no commercials is being a dork? Sign me up.

Enjoy your quiet weekend Heather.

4. Wine-Oh says:

Im all about tuning out the TV. Especially now that its summer and there’s nothing on. I don’t like reality shows and dont care who can sing or dance or make a wedding cake. Im about re-discovering my city and venturing out of my zipcode. I hope to find new restaurants to eat at along the way.

5. HeatherLeigh says:

Programmerman – the photography project sounds cool. And I’ve been doing the sitting quietly thing myself. It’s great when the weather is clear.

wisemx – I’m still surprised when I hear words like that on TV. Not that I don’t use them, but I don’t have kids 🙂

Roger – now that you mention it, that commercial is annoying!

Wine-Oh, Seriously, how many dancing shows are there? I can’t even count! Perhaps we blame the writers strike? Or just that we have all lost any sense of decorum or taste? I do like Top Chef though but I’m a big food dork.

6. Wine-Oh says:

Top Chef rocks. I agree. Just cut back on the dancing shows please? It goes to show how little rhythm the US has. I was at a division meeting for work the other day and they used this dance clip to kick off the meeting called the Evolution of Dance: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dMH0bHeiRNg

7. HeatherLeigh says:

I know. The dancing shows are novel at first , but the boredom sets in quickly; especially with all the filler. I’ve seen that clip before. Pretty cool, huh?

8. Programmerman says:

Self-portrait-a-day project: http://www.flickr.com/groups/365days/

9. HeatherLeigh says:

I don’t think I would be able to take my picture every day. I consider myself unphotogenic (not ugly…just that I appear much worse in most pictures than I do in person, bad angles, washed out, etc). I would sit there and take picture after picture trying to get a good one. I can usually get to a decent shot but it always takesd me a while to find one I am satisfied with.

10. Wine-Oh says:

I stayed up way too late watching the Top Chef Marathon. So glad Andrew is gone. He spooked me. I like how at the end he was like "no need to call security. I will bow out honorably." I really thought they would have to take him kicking and screaming out of the kitchen.

11. HeatherLeigh says:

Wine-Oh, he didn’t really bug me. So I fully know that the producers create "characters" out of the chefs by being selective about what footage they air. So none of us can realy feel like we know them. But there have been others that I would have liked to see go before him. The arguing between Dale and Lisa (is it Lisa?) is starting to get to me. I hope Antonia wins. Love her!

12. Wine-Oh says:

Antonia is great. I hope she wins too. I also like Stephanie. That group did a great job with restaurant wars. Not every day that Anthony Bourdain gives compliments.

Yes the Lisa and Dale show was a bit much to handle. I wonder who turned up the heat on her rice? Hmmm…. Maybe it was just Andrew’s speech pattern that bothered me.

13. HeatherLeigh says:

Oh yeah, Stephanie! I really like her too.

You know I love me some Anthony Bourdain. It’s so hard to understand why I love him so. 😉

I thought Andrew said some pretty funny stuff. Didn’t notice a speech pattern. Interesteing.

14. Wine-Oh says:

Wow cant believe Spike is gone. I thought Lisa should have been booted. Spike can carve meat like no one can. I predict either Stephanie or Antonia will win.

15. HeatherLeigh says:

Argh, I recorded it but haven’t watched it yet. You’re forgiven, Mr. Spoiler.

16. Wine-Oh says:

LOL. Oops my bad. Next week I promise to keep my comments to myself and will wait for your lead. 🙂