Never go to bed angry

Whomever invented that little gem had no idea what they were talking about. Either that or they directed it a small portion of the population; the people that didn’t need to chill out until some of the madness wore off. I don’t anger easily (though I can be easily annoyed), but when I am angry, a little chill-out session is in order. It is a gift I give to the people in my life. It’s all about the most effective method of communicating. For me that happens when I am not totally still stinging from something someone did to intentionally piss me off (I kid) or some bad thing that happened to me. A little time and my perspective absolutely adjusts. I didn’t always know this but I do now.

Same goes for blogging. So before I write about the fact that four out of the last 5 times I have traveled, things have totally gone wrong (the worst of which took place over the last two days), I am going to let the bitterness subside.

You’re welcome.

1. Ah…sorry to hear you had a rough travel experience…although I’m often interested to hear what happened and which airline it was with!

I’ve learned not to get upset anymore. With the amount of travel I have to do, I’d have a heart attack when I’m 30 if I actually got annoyed when things went wrong (which is probably >75% of the time). Now I just smile and laugh it off…

…I also never check bags.

2. crawdad13 says:

No…Wait!  Tell us now, PLEASE?  Let it out.  I love bad travel stories.  Let me guess…Ummm. United Airlines ( or maybe Alaskan) the TSA wrecked something  then you sat on a tarmac while they did nothing.

3. Traveling is totally stressful now…delays, cancelations, equipment problems and weather…Ugh!  Aside from security, what’s going on?  Let’s hear your travel nightmare.  Too bad it wasn’t just a dream…

Julie for WOW!

4. Andy says:

Come on tell us. We are all dying to hear what happened.

5. NativeWizdom says:

Perhaps you had a bad experience traveling. However I am sure you saw the video of the Lufthansa jet landing at a Hamburg airport, now THAT is a bad traveling experience.

-NW

6. Wine-Oh says:

Someone once told me "Be sure to pack your sense of humor." I was going to China and anything could have happened. Now its sort of my mantra for everything. Pack your sense of humor when you leave the house to go to work… Pack your sense of humor for a meeting…" It would make a good title for a self help book. And know what, it works…

7. tyson says:

Not to get all religious or anything, but I think that saying stems from the Bible.

Paul wrote "Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry" in Ephesians 4:26.

8. HeatherLeigh says:

Andy – be patient, I’m still ticked off.

NativeWizdom – for every sucky situation, it can always be worse.

Wine-Oh – I’m trying not to say something mean to you right now :0) If I do end up saying something mean, I hope you have a sense of humor with you today!

tyson – that may be helpful to the religious folks out there.

9. Wine-Oh says:

I do have my sense of humor with me today. Sorry you had a bad experience.

2 yrs ago I had to make an emergency landing when 30 seconds after take off the plane blew an engine. So I know all to well what sucky is when travelling. It was a day trip for work, and I think I misplaced my sense of humor that day… Hang in there. You’ll be fine.

10. patblue says:

Dear Dear HH.

Let the anger go.  I have flown 45k miles since January 1 of this year.  I am a very good sounding board for any type of travel mishap, the one bit of advice I will leave is to leave it all at the airport, life is short.

11. Mike Wood says:

At least with the clocks going forward on the weekend you were annoyed for one less hour than you would have been otherwise.  :)

Mike

12. HeatherLeigh says:

Um, Patblue, I still love you dear, but that is the opposite of helpful:) That is the last thing an angry person wants to hear!

Mike – you have the right idea. That is the kind of optimism I can appreciate!

13. Patblue says:

You are so funny HH.  Thank you for sparing me a verbal lashing!   I am very interested in hearing about your Dallas/Chicago strife.  I want it to be good as the suspense is killing me.

14. Sally says:

I heard something from Phyliss Diller…

Never go to bed angry….Stay up and fight!

15. HeatherLeigh says:

Sally, I love that!

OK…so I still don’t want to talk about it but here it is. ANd just keep in mind that I am a total girl and I hate camping. So flying out Monday, my flight is canceled bc they had snow or something in Dallas. I’m rescheduled for a flight later in the day. I’m flying out a day earlier than my peers because I have some team members in Dallas and scheduled a planning day with them. So then e-mails start going around about possibly canceling and rescheduling for the next week due to the "snow storm". Anyway, I fly out a little worried about being the only one to be able to get out there. land in Dallas in snow; people driving 30 MPH on the freeway with their hazzard lights on because it is snowing. Unreal. Anyway, there for my meetings, my peers show up. On the day I’m supposed to head back, I pull out of the garage and it’s chunky rain. OK, big deal. People fly out in this all the time. Get to the airport and my early afternoon flight is canceled. Lots of people in line with canceled flights to all over. I stand in line for an hour + and get re-booked on a 7PM flight. Check my luggage and go off to the terminal to drink some beer. Then that flight is canceled. I get back in line…a line that is not moving. People on the phone trying to go to Seattle too; no flights. Nothing you can do. So I find some normal-seeming people in line from Seattle and we go to the bar to drink (terminal A, not exactly an lovely place to be). At some point, the airport starts handing out cots. I end up fenagling (sp?) my way into getting a meeting room with a pull-out bed in a booked hotel (long story, but I got a confirmation code on a room that didn’t exist from a confused reservation agent).

So anyhoo, day 2 with no luggage, it’s back to the airport to get in line. So I end up getting a flight out via Chicago (I just wanted out of Dallas…figured Chicago knows how to handle weather), which ended up being a 12 hour trip with the Chicago to Seattle leg including 2 obnioxious people behind me (total strangers) talking loudly the whole way ("who just bought Amazon? Was it Microsoft? No, they just bought Google. Someone bought Google. Wait, Google bought Yahoo"…honestly, it’s so enchanting when you have only gotten a couple hours of sleep and have been wearing the same clothes for 36 hours straight).

Anyway, that’s it. All of it due to the fact that Dallas doesn’t have enough de-icing equipment. Evidently they don’t have TVs or newspapers either because hello? Have you heard of global warming? Are you confused because of the "warming" part? It makes bad stuff happen in winter too.

So it’s not worth it’s own blog post. I probably hated it more than most people would because I like to have my stuff and I like to be clean and I like to eat healthy food and I am an introvert and I like to look cute and I really wanted to get home. So what? Two days in an airport with no luggage at all. That is it.

16. wine-oh says:

Ugh I hate people like that, that you described. Know it alls who know nothing. I would have taken my pillow (if they still have them on the plane) and put it over their mouth’s. Sorry you went through all this.

17. Ben R says:

That’s a good Story! Travel insurance sometimes helps. However, it gets expensive fast.

Don’t you hate it when your suitcase is on its way home and you’re not! Happened to me a few years ago. Unfortunately, my luggage insurance didn’t cover it. Since, it only covers me getting there before the luggage and not the other way around.

Now, when I travel, my carry on has more clothes in it even if I document other suitcases.

Better luck next time!

18. patblue says:

Oh I do understand your pain HH.  Nothing is worse than airport/airplane grime. You just want to wash your face in a clean single use bathroom and snuggle up with your own sheets at home.  I have lived this.  Out of your whole story, the part that quickly raised my blood pressure were the airplane talkers.  I have NO tolerance for that anymore.  Anywhere around me, i don’t fly w/ out the noise canceling headset any longer.  I have gone so far as to request a move of seat if there are any available when faced w/ clueless people. That  part of your story was worth making me wait, because now I am angry for you.  Look outside here in Seattle.. Spring is springing and you are home!

19. HeatherLeigh says:

wine-oh, I was just ridiculing them in my head. I didn’t have the energy for anything else. Oh, also, the lady next to me decided that she wasgoing to crawl over me instead of asking myself and the person next to me to get up so she could use the restroom. Awkward and uncomfortable!

Ben R – yeah. but travel insurance wouldn’t have gotten the planes off the ground. It was a work trip so I’m not out any money. But I will be loading up my carry-ons in the future.

patblue – OK, don’t laugh at me, but I had noise canceling headphones but didn’t realize until I got home that there is an on/off switch. I’m a big dope. I have to admit that the words "punch someone in the face" have come out of my mouth quite a bit recently. I know way too much about those annoying people sitting behind me. At that point, I was just thinking that with each moment I was getting closer to home. And I took 2 showers withing 12 hours of getting back.

And yeah. springtime in Seattle is pretty nice right now. I had to mow my lawn this past weekend! It’s official!

20. Andy says:

I love camping but what you describe is my worst nightmare when traveling. I HATE, HATE, HATE being stuck in airports! I hate flying to start with so being stuck in an airport is not my idea of any kind of fun. I used to wait it out, now days I don’t have the patience. I rent a truck or SUV w/ 4 wheel drive if the weather in the area is bad and a car if the weather is good and drive home and bill it to my company if it is going to be more than an 8 hour layover. I would rather drive for 24 hours straight than be stuck in an airport for 8 hours. You have my sympathy on this one for sure.

21. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah and the terminal I was in felt like it was in black and white (and shades of gray) if you know what I mean.  And there was nothing to rent, my dear. It crossed my mind to drive to another airport where the approach to weather wasn’t so wimpy. If I had a car, I would have gone shopping and got a good hotel room farther out and generally made due. Wish that was an option! Now, I understand how riots start.

22. patblue says:

You made me remember this experience w/ not as long and painfully long, amplified by the high school kids:

23. Bad_Brad says:

Heather – I feel your pain on this one, we’ve all been there.  All-in-all, though, this was pretty tame as far as travel horror stories go.  Trust me, as an ex-airline guy, I got stories at cocktail parties all the time from complete strangers the instant they discovered I was an airline employee (as if somehow I was personally responsible for their misery).  I heard some doozies.  On a scale of 1 to 10, yours is about a 3.

24. HeatherLeigh says:

But it happened to ME!!! :)