Bill Gates Joins LinkedIn

Article in WSJ. How many bets that he is going to be a super-linker? I don’t care, I just want to be connected. OMG…I’m scared to send the LinkedIn request!

1. RB says:

Is this some sort of veiled message that MS’s not putting all of its social networking eggs in one basket? Either way LinkedIn is a spam machine.

2. egcarter says:

Bill is not accepting connection requests.  I believe that the ability to configure the account profile to not permit them is why he abandoned Facebook for LinkedIn.

3. HeatherLeigh says:

RB – and an sweesome tool for my team. We make a bunch of hires using it.

egcarter – are you sure? I think connection requests are different than intros and Inmails. If you clikc on the link to connect with him, all you have to do is fill in his e-mail address. Wonder if it sends back a message that he’s not taking them or were you referring to the line at the bottom about Introductions and Inmails?

4. lisabe says:

No dice just tried it myself, spent so much time agonizing over something witty to say…finally found something after much mental grind…only to have it say his email address won’t accept invitations.  Oh well, it’s still cool to see him on there!

5. RB says:

Well how about that. I didn’t even read the article before posting that.

How accurate is the info you use?

6. Wine-Oh says:

I couldnt find him doing a people search. I’d think he would be swamped with requests.

7. HeatherLeigh says:

Lisa – thanks for being the brave one! You are a super-linker anyway! Oh well.

RB – your point? What info?

Wine-Oh – yep. In my experience (which is limited, it’s not like he and I have an ongoing dialog), he has someone helping with his inbox. They take on the random stuff (which sometimes trickles it’s way down to us in Staffing). I cna’t imagine the amount of mail.

8. Wine-Oh says:

Ok I clicked a link at the top of LinkedIn that had a quote from Bill Gates. When I clicked his name it told me I didnt have any one in common with him and cannot connect.

9. --Lisa says:

I wonder if Bill Gates ever responds personally to email messages?  It is recent corporate lore at the F500 where I work that one of our front-line engineers had a problem, went online and sent Steve Jobs an email.  He figured it would get filtered down to the right person by whoever was managing that inbox and he’d eventually get an answer. Imagine his surprise when SJ personally called him back at his desk in about 2 hours. He got his hand slapped for not going though the proper partnership channels, but I am sure that brief 15 min conversation was worth it!

10. HeatherLeigh says:

Wine-Oh, that stinks. Are we connected? I can see his stuff so maybe if you connected to me, you could too?

Lisa – Steve probably just called him to do the hand slapping. Ooh, was that too cynical? Sorry 🙂

11. Wine-Oh says:

No but I will send you a request now. Then I will let you know.

12. wine-oh says:

Hi Heather,

I am still getting this response when i try to link to Mr. Gates:

You and this LinkedIn user don’t know anyone in common

You can only view the profiles of users within your network. However, as you add connections, you may discover people you know in common.

So I take that as him not taking any requests… Doesn’t surprise me. I will let you know if something changes.

13. RB says:

Whoa Billy boy is now #3 on the world’s rich list. His uncle is #1 and some guy named Carlos is ahead of him. Heather work harder so he can get get back to the top of the heap.

14. HeatherLeigh says:

Probably because he has given so much if it away. This defnitely calls for more blogging.