Still sick…jeez

I haven’t been writing because I’ve been sick and the last thing you want to do when you are sick is anything that requires an attention span of more than a few minutes. I’m not telling you this because I feel guilty; I don’t. I’m just filling up that blank space on my blog where my most recent posts should have been. It’s kind of like I tell job seekers not to leave significant date gaps on their resume. So also with the blog. I haven’t run off to join a start-up, I haven’t fallen without the ability to get up, I haven’t stopped loving you.

I have been neti potting (holy mackerel that feels good and it’s gross in an entirely gratifying sort of way), eating vitamin C, making return trips to the drug store…oh, and visiting the McDoctor (urgent care). You would think they could do something about the customer (let’s not call them patients…I don’t buy it…the guy spent 3 minutes with me) experience in those places. I get that urgent means that people kind of go there as a last/only resort. But at some point, I do believe that people will cause great harm to themselves so they don’t have to suffer the irritation and indignity (did I mention the long wait and rude receptionist?). I was out of town (and have had much better experiences with our local offering), so I don’t want to paint them all with the same brush. But it was bad.

Also? So incredibly sick of the taste of cough drops. Anyway, things are clearing (so says the neti pot…sorry….TMI). Hoping I’m turning the corner with the help of some antibiotics. I was going to tell you that I am not complaining but I totally am. This is exactly what I get (literally about a day) after telling someone I never get sick. Serves me right.

1. Matt says:

Hey!  Another neti pot user.  I swear by that thing.  Literally, changed my life.  The trick, of course, is to start using it when I think that I might be starting to get sick.  I’m not that "self-aware" yet.

Hope you fell better soon.

2. I never get sick either and then this weekend my whole family caught a stomach virus almost simultaneously. I’ve never been so sick in my life.

You are so right about those ‘Urgent’ Care places…

3. Steve says:

Wow, sorry to hear you’re under the weather. Have you tried Chicken Soup or Pho GA?

Ok ok, seriously. I was in NYC, definitely under the weather holed up in my hotel room. I had to give a speech at a big user group meeting and was not looking forward to doing it when I was feeling so bad.

So I made my way to a local deli, had some chicken soup and it was miraculous, within a couple minutes I felt great.

I’m not saying it will definitely work, but it might be worth a try.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Matt – yeah, my mom had been trying to get me to use it and then a reader recommended it. I can’t hold me breath under water so I had some fears about the water in the nose thing but I cannot believe how great and effective it is. In a sick way, I find it enjoyable. I’m allergy girl so I am going to be doing this frequently. I just think about that feeling after I mow the lawn (like: oh crap, i just breathed in a bunch of stuff that is going to make me sick). I’ll definitely be using it when I feel any allergy symptoms. And as of today, feeling so, so much better! Thanks for the wishes.

Chris – I saw that in your facebook status. OK, a little homeopathic tip that might help (not sure for a virus, but I used to have serious gastrointestinal problems when I was younger): yoghurt and burnt toast. With the yoghurt, I think the enzymes restore the bacteria level in your intestines. And the carbon produced by slightly burning the toast does something good too. I know that when I am sick, I am willing to try just about anything (hence the awkward but lovely sinus irrigation), so maybe it’s worth it. Also, I think gatorade does amazing things for the body when one is sick. Hope you all feel better! Laying in bed and moaning like an injured animal helps a bit, I swear!

Steve – I did the chicken soup early on and day before yesterday I did thai food. It may have been a sign that I was getting my appetite back but spicy food seem to help with the sinuses. I think I read that there’s some chemical produced by the chicken (probably when it’s scared out of it’s tiny little mind about ending up in soup). I also think that the saltiness helps your body retain some water which it needs when you are dehydrated. Oh, also? NYC chicken soup may be way better than the rest of us get. I was watching Ace of Cakes last night (don’t judge) and they made a cake that looked like a bowl of matzo ball soup and it reminded me of how good that is; though you don’t really see it much here. Maybe I need to look for it after my dim sum excursion!

5. Wine-Oh says:

Im a big fan of the greek yogurt. It sits better than danon or any of the kind with fruit. I put some honey in it and its awesome. Even good when your sick.

6. NativeWizdom says:

Boohoo!! Didn’t your Mama teach you how to take care of yourself??

Since I have been on my own since my high school days, this is what I do when I get sick:  Take Nyquil. Get in sweats and go to bed.

Drink OJ.  In the morning, take a luke warm shower, take Alka Seltzer daytime medicine.

You will be well in an 24 hr period.

-NW

7. HeatherLeigh says:

Wine-Oh, i haveheard that it’s good.

NW – just who exactly did you think was taking care of me? It’s good to know that all illnesses are cured in 24 hours using Alka Seltzer. Geez, you are a crank today.

8. Lucie Newcomb says:

Hey Heather –

Hope this finds you feeling much better…should a similar scenario ever befall you when visiting the Mountain View, CA office (hope not), thought you might like to know the El Camino Urgent Care facility here (prob 10-15 mins from this office) defies the norm.  I was expecting the worst, and walked out with the best (i.e., good, quick care that didn’t break the wallet – after health insurance deductible). – If you gotta deal with it, this is a great resource. – Sounds like you’ve found sweeter tools in any case!

Well wishes,

– Lucie

9. HeatherLeigh says:

Thanks Lucie, good to know! I just sat in the reception area for about an hour trying to go to my mental happy place. Just one that can get you in and out quickly would be fine! I just walked in, told them what I had (sinus infection), let them look in my nose and I was pretty much done. An hour for that!

10. Lucie Newcomb says:

Thanks for the update, Heather; sounds like they should call it "Occasionally Urgent Care" ; ) – great to hear you sounding better in any case (and there went the case for a video blog…! UGH!).

Skip to main content