Gary Coleman

So Gary Coleman says he’s secretly been married. Well, really? Is it a secret when nobody cares?

I (vaguely) remember when the media was used to tell people things of importance, not help disgraced child stars hold on to a shred of career prospect. OK, now what am I going to do with my day now that I know that Gary Coleman has been secretly married?

1. Wine-Oh says:

Mr. Drummond would be proud. :)

2. RB says:

They had to keep it secret otherwise the Gooch would break up the festivities.

3. Tim says:

You could have a split of champagne. I mean, Gary Coleman married AND Valentine’s Day? Like a two-fer, I tell you.

4. Josephine Miller says:

A bit harsh, I think.  Gary was not a child but small because of long term kidney disease.  Plato and the other boy had less than a good time after the show – arrests I believe.

If you remember "when the media was used to tell people things of importance" – you must be prehistoric.   Gossip existed before the printed word!

5. Lauren Smith says:

Not interested in this?

Whutchootalkinbout Heather?

6. Kevin Eshbach says:

This is all part of the build up to the announcement of Gary Coleman’s secret reality tv show.

7. HeatherLeigh says:

Josephine – yep, sure am. You remember that prehistoric media printed on stone tablets. Whatever. The news didn’t used to be full of all of this kind of crap and I’m sorry that Gary Coleman has a medical condition, but that’s not a basis for stardom, even the d-list variety. And also….gossip and news; not the same thing. Confusing the two is part of the problem.

And all the rest of you….well, you are very funny! I was waiting for one of you to mention Mrs. Garrett. Also, didn’t he have a goldfish with a funny name?

8. Wine-Oh says:

I think the goldfish was named Abraham, and Mrs. Garrett was way better than Adelaide and Pearl, her replacements.

9. Wine-Oh says:

PS- I hope VH1 does not make a reality series for Gary. I think we have endured enough with Scott Baio and Christopher Knight. Some things should remain in the 80s like Gary Coleman.

10. Darren Cox says:

I have been secretly married for 7 1/2 years.  The media has, remarkably, shown almost no interest.  Although, I know there MUST be rumours swirling around; probably started by nosey paparazzi, skulking around my daughter’s gymnastics building.

11. HeatherLeigh says:

Abraham! That’s it!

And Scott Baio- ugh. I wish he would just go away but someone must be watching.

darren – it’s true. I heard about it on TMZ.

12. Wine-Oh says:

And to show off my geekyness even more… the character of Sam had a fish too named Montgomery. If memory serves me correctly, Abraham didnt live much longer after that.

13. HeatherLeigh says:

Oooh, now you are scaring me

14. RB says:

I wish I could tell you about three of my friends on a golf course naked with Scott Baio’s cousin half way through senior year. But of course you would just get mad. Oh well.

15. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah, that’s right. Please don’t tell. When it comes to Chachi, less is more.

16. NativeWizdom says:

Whatyatalkn’ about Heather! (I can never "write" slang too well).

It is our culture to watch the Gary Coleman’s, Britney’s and Paris Hilton’s etc. Is it news, gossip or entertainment, pick one. This is what America has become.   You gotta love it!

Except for Lindsey Lohan, now that is news!

-NW

17. HeatherLeigh says:

I would have gone with "whatchootalkin’bout", but who knows what was written into the script.

I was happy when all that stuff lived on Entertainment Tonight and the newscastered delivered the real stuff. I don’t know…I just feel the need to compartmentalize. I generally feel good about watching the news in that I am educating myself on what’s going on in the world. The celebrity stuff feels a little icky.

18. Hey , I thought I heard rummors about a possible marriage of Gary coleman. I think He is a strong man to have gone through tough times while tv audiences were as mean as they were and for him not to be on drugs and violent in jail. I am glad it took him this long before telling the world what he was doing.

For me it seemed like the man knew how to make life pleasant and knew who to partner up with to get places and to direct the "older" brother, a young man, how to respect other people wether colored or white.

19. HeatherLeigh says:

Dale – I don’t people use the word “colored” anymore (not that it was ever OK). Also, I have a hard time praising someone for not ending up on drugs or in jail. Sheesh, talk about having a low bar.

20. crawdad13 says:

I am SO not the guy who thinks it is beneath him to watch TV, or that other people’s lives aren’t nearly as interesting as my own, but it honestly makes me feel a tiny bit sick to my stomach when I catch even the smallest glimpse of ET, TMZ or anything like that.

I have never been accused of being particularly sensitive to the plight of strangers, but the problem is that many of the "trajedies" that we hear about on TV are manipulative and/or self-inflicted.  It would be like me hiring a publicist to tell people where I am going to be so they will show up to take pictures of me, then getting pissed off when everyone points out that I am fat.

The thing that makes me ill, though, is that the game that these people are, in many ways, "forced" to play, is the same one that exposes their lives to the ET/TMZ phenomenon.  The fact is; if most of us were as well known as Gary Coleman, our daily decisions wouldn’t stand up under the harsh light of scrutiny any better than most celebrities’ lives.

In this particular case, I think it is sad that this guy, 22 years removed from the only career-related success he ever had, must resort to publicizing his "secret" marriage.

Wouldn’t it be cool if ET spent 1 minute per show (Hell…Per Week even) televising a story about a family that is completely or even remotely average, not at all famous or rich, where the parents actually love each other and the kids are polite, smart and focused on positive goals.

I know that might sound a like "Little House on the Prairie" (one of my least favorite TV shows of all time, but it couldn’t be any worse than spending even a fraction of a second watching Cojo.

Oh yeah…Vote Obama!  ;>)

21. crawdad13 says:

Nice spelling huh?  "Tragedies" is what I meant to say

22. BR says:

During the dotcom boom, ugo.com had Gary Coleman as an advice columnist. I was one of the few readers. He seemed liked a genuinely good person.