Stuff…quickly

A few things either not worth a whole blog post or else I am lazy…

…you may be wondering what I know about the Microsoft/Yahoo thing. I know about as much as you do (though I have to chuckle a little bit at the google response). No matter what my opinion, someone here knows much more than I do and they are the decider, not me. So anyway, I’ll reserve my opinion until I know more. Until then, business as usual, though I am finding the drama surrounding the announcements interesting. Way better than reality TV.

…I am super distracted today by Super Tuesday. I don’t know that I have ever felt such a level of suspense surrounding an election. So in the interest of transparency, and considering that we all can be smart and choose different candidates, I’ll just say that I’m looking forward to seeing if Obama takes California (hoping my old home state comes through). Also, much better than reality TV.

…awesome to see Mardis Gras in full force in New Orleans again. I hope to go to New Orleans (prolly not for Mardis Gras but in general) someday, as soon as some of my married-with-children girlfriends decide they need a girls weekend that involves ridiculous amounts of southern food and mint juleps (girls?). Ever since Katrina, this has been on my to-do list. I’ll get there.

…and saw No Country for Old Men last week. Good gawd! OK, the person that I was with didn’t like the ending (which I think he referred to as “unsatisfying”). But if you are like me and enjoy character-driven movies (where you are constantly analyzing why the person just did that), then you will love this movie. It’s got blood and guts but it was just awesome and Javier Bardem was incredibly creepy and amazing. If you don’t need a tidy ending, go see it! You’ll thank me.

1. Jason says:

Oddly enough, I never went to New Orleans before Katrina. Since, I’ve spent about a month total there, quaffing Abita Turbodog on Frenchman Street and scarfing Pain Perdu at Petunia’s. Though I cannot comment on how it’s changed in the wake of the storm, I can say that it is my favorite city in the United States based solely on post-Katrina experiences. Well, favorite if you don’t count Madison in May.

I did my part for Obama here in California!

2. HeatherLeigh says:

I’ve heard about Madison! You can’t live in Chicago and not hear about Madison! Yay for your vote!

3. RB says:

Also, Madison is such an incredible place to be.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah, RB, your first comment was edited. We all know what beads or for at Mardis Gras, At the same time, I blog for work so gotta kind of keep it clean.

5. NativeWizdom says:

>>Super Tues – history in the making.  Looking at the issues, HC is much stronger  BO still needs policy work, great speaker tho, caught his speech on CNN last night and was pumped!  Excited for the prospects of the US being a better nation/steward for the world to follow and admire.

>> MS/Yahoo – Google Baby!!  B/c of stock and search preference.  Goggle needs a good chat client tho. Sorry.

>> NO .. been there before and after Katrina. Still a beautiful city, but we as a nation need to do more to help our citizens when needed.

>>NCOM .. movie is awesome. I saw it a few wks ago. A movie you have to watch at least twice to catch the nuances of the movie.  Heard There Will Be Blood is a good movie also. On my to watch list.

-NW

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Native – I had trouble sleeping last night…kept checking in with CNN. History for sure. The idea of stewardship….would be good for us to focus on that!

MS/Yahoo – no need to be sorry. Use what you like.

No Country….I’ll probably buy it when it comes out. I heard the opposite about There Will Be Blood but may be worth it just to see Daniel Day Lewis’ performance.

7. RJD says:

Turbodog is awesome, especially with Dreamland BBQ, but I preferred Purple Haze otherwise.  Turbodog probably not an HLH type of brew, though.

Mint Juleps aren’t so much the drink at Mardi Gras.  You’re thinking Hurricanes at Pat O’Brien’s.  Juleps are more a Kentucky Derby thing.

Feeling homesick now.  And oddly thirsty.

8. HeatherLeigh says:

I’m not into microbrew stuff. Too hoppy. I know this will garner tons of criticism, but I like Bud Light. In some ways, I am such a midwestern girl.

I bet I could have a mint julep if I wanted one! Juat seems sothern to me. I wasn’t thinking hurricanes though (who the hell is Pat O’Brien?). I’d be hard pressed to name another sourthern cocktail. That is the problem. How about a Tom Collins? One of my favorites…is that southern?