Caucus

In case you were also wondering what a caucus is and it’s impact on party nominees. For some reason, I’m very interested in the process this time around.

1. Bad_Brad says:

I’m personally baffled by a process that gives such insignificant states as Iowa and New Hampshire such great power in determining who the next President will be.

2. HeatherLeigh says:

I don’t think that they have any more "power" than other states, it’s just that candidates that show well in these states tend to do the same in the states that have regular old primaries.

3. Rob says:

Who are you going to vote for Heather?

4. HeatherLeigh says:

I’ll tell you but I am hoping that there’s no political debate that follows because I don’t want things to get too off-topic here (and I thought twice about bringing up the caucus thing). Barack Obama.

5. Rick Pennington says:

Well, the caucus/primary season is always interesting.  Technically the early states don’t hold more power than any other.  In practice the voters in the later states tend to vote for the "winner" of the early states, and the money and news coverage flows to those candidates. Many people probably don’t even know Mike Gravel is still in the election.

The thing to remember about these early votes is that it is just a way for state parties to proportion their delegates for the national convention.  For example, Hillary Clinton got 39 percent of the democratc vote in Ohio, while Barack Obama got 36.  Therefore, Hillary got 39% of the delegates (8, as it were) and Obama got 36% (also 8 due to rounding).

The most interesting thing to me, though, is that about 40% of the total delegates at the convention are not affected by the vote counts. They are "super delegates" and are made up of sitting congresspeople, high ups in the parties, current and former presidents, etc.  They can vote whichever way they want….

All that said, it sees this year that both races are going to go to the respective conventions, and it should be an entertaining political year.

6. Rob says:

Obama? Omfg Heather! I had expected more from you. This is highly distressing. Hehe

7. HeatherLeigh says:

Rick – interesting. How do you know all this? Involved in politics on some way?

Rob – you keep commenting like you know me. It’s just a blog, dude.

8. Rick Pennington says:

Well, its a hobby of mine.  I try and stay connected to the processes, and I was curious.  I am a very enthusiastic learner when curious.

9. HeatherLeigh says:

That’s cool, Rick. Now we know whom to ask when we have questions!

10. Rob says:

I’ll use the <sarcasm> tag next time.

11. Rick Pennington says:

Off topic, but big ups to the marketing team for their new kid’s book…

12. HeatherLeigh says:

Thanks Rick. That was worthy of a whole blog post!