Paperwork

You know how you used to say that you were catching up on “paperwork”? OK, so maybe I am dating myself, but I’d guess that a good 2/3 of you know what I am talking about. Well, what do you call it now that it’s not paper? It’s not just e-mail. I hate the word “administrivia”…too cute. What is it?

1. sean tooley says:

what’s up with Rockin’n the Empire?

2. HeatherLeigh says:

it’s new….like it?

3. yag says:

I call it ‘Retreat and Regroup’ 🙂

4. HeatherLeigh says:

That’s a good way to look at it. Mine seems more frenzied than that though : )

You should have seen me attacking my inbox. I think people were a little scared at how quickly I was responding to mail but I just wanted to touch it once and get it out of there ASAP. I’m the master of my inbox now!

5. RJD says:

My euphamism: redeploying GTD processes by better leveraging my core competencies into forward thinking win-win scenarios.

Honestly.  It keeps my nosy coworkers from peopletrending me.

I don’t get many "hey, how’s it going" questions at the Flavia machine anymore.

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Haha…peopletrending. You probably don’t get much eye contact in the hallway either!

7. Pat says:

I still like to call it paperwork.  Much like I remember my gramma saying she had a day full of housework.  Do you do ‘housework’ or ‘chores’?

8. HeatherLeigh says:

I do housework. But since I live alone, it feels different than "chores" because they don’t really get assigned to anyone. There’s no question about who does the chore in my house. : )

But on a similar note, my grandma had a "pocket book". It neither fit in your pocket, nor was it a book. But I can still hear her saying it when she told a story about how a goat ate her pocketbook at the petting zoo.

9. RJD says:

Tecnically, we don’t have hallways, we have aisles.  But no, not much eye contact there.  That’s OK, I’m taller than the cube walls, so I can still keep track of what’s going on without actual interaction.

10. HeatherLeigh says:

Sounds a little ominous!

11. RJD says:

I only use that knowledge for good.  And chocolate.

12. HeatherLeigh says:

Spotting it or blackmailing people for it? "I saw what you did in your cube".

13. RJD says:

Spotting it.  Blackmail can backfire, and I really don’t want to know what people are doing in their cubes.

14. HeatherLeigh says:

That’s a scary comment. Have you seen something you didn’t want to? Wait…don’t tell me.

15. Tim says:

Here’s one for you: Do you call them "Soaps" or "My Stories"?

16. HeatherLeigh says:

Huh? You don’t like that tech companies put "my" in front of everything, right?  Hey, don’t blame me. I’m sure there’s some significant market research somewhere that show that not only do people want that but that you, in particular, asked for that, Tim.

17. It’s kipple: "unwanted or useless junk that tends to reproduce itself."

But I did the David Allen "Getting Things Some" show last week here in town at the W, and now I’m so organized I can be two PM’s for the price of one.  In my spare time, I’m buying for the 2008 holidays.  I mean, I’m so organized, I’m planning for the unexpected.

Okay, I’ll stop now.

18. HeatherLeigh says:

Wait…what? Kipple?

Nothing wrong with being organized. I’ve been known to stash away a few extra gofts just in case.

You’ll only get a hearty round of applause for being organized here! 🙂