BCS…who’s in?

What a year. What do you do about the BCS? If I had to guess, it’s LSU and OSU in the National Championship Game (and don’t tell me Les Miles didn’t soak up every bit of TV coverage regarding the coaching job at Michigan mostly to get his teams name in front of voters). I’m always happy going to the Rose Bowl, but I guess there’s an outside chance we are in the NC game. Unbelievable. There’s really no obvious choice.

And I hate to say it but neither Missouri nor West Virginia sounded right as an NC contender. Sorry, but they just didn’t. And now theywon’t.

1. Heather,

What is it like going to the Rose Bowl? Or it being an almost given you will go?

Not yet in my lifetime have my Gophers made it. I am eating right and working out,  just in case it is a long wait.

2. HeatherLeigh says:

MN Headhunter – Awww, now you are making me feel bad. So what’s it like, you ask? Honestly, it’s kind of like breathing. I’m trying not to be too spoiled. I hung in through some rough years for the Trojans (two words: Paul Hackett). Living in Chicago at the time, it was NOT fun. Yet, we still kind of had that legacy of going to the RB so we knew we could again.

It wasn’t a sure thing at all this year (and were it not for Denis Dixon’s injury, we may not have been talking about this at all). But it does seem that we are always kind of in it. It feels normal. We are used to it. Whatever year we don’t end up going, it’s going to be a huge let-down and you will hear me say something ridiculous and untrue like "it’s only football". I hope it doens’t come to that.

And the eating right and working out should get you through those winters!

3. NativeWizdom says:

BCS…scrap it.  Develop a playoff system. Like a Sweet Sixteen, played in a month time frame.

As for my Huskers they are out. I too am living through some bad Husker football years (Bill Callahan and Kevin Cosgrove). We lost games we should not have and barely won some games that we should have dominated, (Ball State) But, the future is BRIGHT!  Per the latest on Huskerpedia.com, we have BO back!!

I agree Missouri and W. Virginia are not NC contenders. Wacky CF this year, but perhaps the most exciting. Who would have thought BCS’s 1 and 2 would lose on the same day??

BTW…posting on a SAT night?!?

Until later,

-NativeWizdom

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Native – I know. Exciting Saturday night here. I’ve been traveling so much that I spent most of the weekend in. Well, that the fact that football was on and O recorded games and watched them later in the day. Excuses, excuses 🙂

I don’t think there will ever be a playoff system. The University presidents will never go for it. I think we are stuck with what we’ve got for a while.

5. Bad_Brad says:

As a fan of a school that hates Mizzou, all I can say is that it’s almost like God said, "You know, if West Virginia plays Mizzou for the national championship, there will be way too many slack-jawed yokels at the same venue.  I don’t know if the world would be able to take it.  I had better make both teams lose."

On the other hand, the Big East conference and the referees did their best to hand the West Virginia / Pitt game to West Virginia.  Two phantom holding calls on Pitt and then an unbelievable no-call on West Virginia.  The conference knew that they needed West Virginia in the title game but Pitt ruined it for them.  Sometimes good prevails over evil.

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Bad_Brad, I know who you are now. You blew your cover on that comment 🙂

7. crawdad13 says:

No, you don’t understand, Paul (err…ummm) MN Headhunter is right, rooting for USC, or any other school in the big 10 or Pac 10 is just not even close to the lifelong beating that we fans of the Gopher’s football team have had to endure.  I have actually been at games with Paul where we have been up big going into the fourth quarter and ended up getting beat.

And don’t tell me that the Stanford game this year is somehow similar.  You guys are 10-2 were one 19 yard, last second, missed field-goal, by a BAD team from being 0-11 this year.

Paul (MN Headhunter)is a WAY bigger gopher fan than I am ( I won’t attend another football game until we go to the Rose Bowl) but I think we would both agree that we just have to live our college football lives vicariously through those of you who consider the rose bowl a "Down Year"

And don’t even get me started about coaches…But I’m not bitter!

8. crawdad13 says:

And don’t tell me that the Stanford game this year is somehow similar.  You guys are 10-2, while we were one 19 yard, last second, missed field-goal, by a BAD team from being 0-11 this year.

And don’t even get me started about coaches…But I’m not bitter!

9. HeatherLeigh says:

OK, I need a map to keep track of which readers/commenters know each other.  Crawdad, you are a little feisty today. I’ll conceded that rooting for USC during the rough years doesn’t compare to being a Gopher. You’ve got me there. Since I couldn’t empathize, I was trying to sympathize. That was me trying to be nice. Don’t make it hard for me 😉

Love it when people get sassy about college football! Whee! Though most manifest it through a discussion of a team that actually has, like, a winning record or something.

Now you boys behave and don’t let it get you down! There’s always next year.

10. crawdad13 says:

When am I NOT feisty?  I make no apologies for being passionate, (like I could change if I wanted to) It is what makes me a (dare I say it) great marketer.  I know how to get people all wound up about something.  Plus it is easier when it hurts the way Gophers football hurts all of us here in the frozen North.

I will say, however, that as far as Minnesota football goes, I am really only passionate about my longing for a team that is, at the very least, competitive.  I once attended a 83-13 loss that came in a season that saw our team lose 2 other games by 51 points(each).  That team gave up a Big-Ten record 518 points…That record still stands.

As for who I know, Paul and I actually went to college at the U of MN together.  We were both on the Interfraternity Council together (he is a DKE and I am a Theta Chi)  so we lived a block away from each other for a few years.  We also worked together when I founded my second company (or, should I say, my first "really big failure!")

Paul is a great guy!

Finally, You are always nice to me and I find it hard to believe that it even occurs to you to have to TRY.  I think it probably just comes naturally for you.

Good luck in the Rose Bowl, I hope you CRUSH Illinois (not you… but…you know, the Trojans)

Darren Cox

11. HeatherLeigh says:

OK, let’s just call it "mindful niceness". Trust me, I am not always nice. I have references 🙂

You know, if they let me suit up, I’d love to have a hand in crushing Illinois! I’d love to play safety and hear the sounds of the pads crashing together and the other guy hitting the ground. Is there something weird about that?

12. RJD says:

My Gators haven’t been close to a national championship since 1991!  That would be the Alligators of Allegheny College, if anyone was wondering.

And, to everyone in Columbus and Baton Rouge, you’re welcome.  Love, Pittsburgh.

@crawdad13,

I’m a Theta Chi, too!

13. HeatherLeigh says:

Pittsburgh and University of Oklahoma. It’s sweet that Pitt signs off with "love".

Allegheny Alligators…I like it.

14. Funny how I bump into an old friend here on your blog…

So be more honest than usual, how much pleasure does it bring to see the UCLA coach let go?

15. HeatherLeigh says:

MN – you didn’t know the other one was here? I’m really confused about you 2!

More honest than usual? I’m usually very honest. Are you asking me to be a little less filtered than usual? OK, in all seriousness, I don’t take any pleasure in it at all. First of all, I enjoy UCLA losing and would hope that they continue to (haha). For all I know Karl Dorrell is a nice guy. I think it comes with the territory in coaching, but how much would it suck to basically be publicly fired any time you weren’t in the top half of performers in your job? To have all the media talking about you, picking you apart? I know that this is how it is and the coaches know that going in, but I still think it’s got to suck. And I never disliked Karl (and there are many coaches that I dislike, becasue that’s part of the fun of college football). But I really don’t feel much about this one. If anything, I feel a little bad for the guy. You know how important it is for a coach to do well against their rival; it’s a big part of whether or not they are deemed successful. Aside from them beating us one time last year, can you imagine what it’s been like for him having to hear about how great USC is? Or trying to go after the same recruits as us?  Anyway, I hope that answers your question 🙂

16. Christien Louviere says:

Well, I’m happy LSU got in.

Keep the BCS scoring, but derive an 8-team playoff from it.

Money is the reason that there is no playoff; but it’s not all university presidents…it’s only two conference that keep it from becoming a reality…Pac-10 and Big 10, err.. Big 11.  The money from the Rose Bowl is a huge reason for lack of a playoff! ;->

17. HeatherLeigh says:

I’m glad LSU got in as well….though I could go quite a while without seeing Les Miles’ mug on TV and be just fine!

Skip to main content