Hot spots in and around Redmond

I love my home office (and the fact that I can work from home), but I’m starting to lose it a little bit. Not enough to go into the office. But I’m starting to talk to the dog (more) and look forward to the sound of the postal delivery truck. Most of my collaboration at work happens virtually (my manager is in NC and my team is all over the US). I get plenty of human interaction during the day, just not face-to-face. And I’m totally fine outside of work (and we know we don’t talk about that stuff here); just need a little change of venue for me and my tablet PC.

So for any local readers, what I am looking for: fun hot spots in and around Redmond where I can park it for an afternoon and work; preferably ones with some kind of caffeine delivery system. What do you know?

1. kip says:

MaryMoor park has free wifi, provided by MSN (SSID: King County Parks).  May be a little cold this time of year, but always good for a stroll through the dog park with my Shadow, checking email and rss (and waiting for my dog to finish sniffing the bushes)

2. Rob says:

Sounds like you’re in the early stages of cabin fever. You’d better get out before you start dressing your dog up in holiday costumes.

3. HeatherLeigh says:

Oh man, I just bought Jonas a plaid jingle bell collar today. It’s totally out of charater for me (and clashed with his skull heads collar). I’m not sure why I did it. I’ll keep the tags on for now until I fully deal with what I bought and why (and how Jonas might feel about it…he’s not a big fan of accessories).

Wow..I’m just trying to figure out what happened to me today. It’s not holiday spirit; maybe a lapse in judgement.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

kip – yeah, I did know about that. Unfortunately, it’s a little cold for me (I admit it…after living in the midwest for much of my life I’m a huge weather wimp…hate to be cold) and also, my dog is a bit of a butthead around other dogs. Good concept, just not practical for me.

5. Wine-Oh says:

I dont live in Redmond or anywhere near that part of the country, but why not a Starbucks or some version there of. Always good for coffee and people watching. Im sure theres lots of Wi Fi hot spots in your area. When I was in grad school I used to go to a Starbucks with the iPod and work and study. I too got cabin fever, and would watch random useless tv just not to work. So I found getting out of the house and a change of scenery to be the cure for that.

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Hmm, I guess. SBUX isn’t as interesting as it used to be though.

7. Ariel says:

#1: Try yelp.com for cafe recommendations! It’s great for this kind of thing.

#2: Can we trade offices? There are two of us sharing a windowless office around the corner from you — and it makes me so sad to think of your office window casting beautiful natural light on your storage unit. 😉

8. HeatherLeigh says:

Ariel –

#1: Thanks! I’ll give it a try!

#2: I know that someone is moving into my office (to share)and I am not allowed to officially move out. I do feel horrible about leaving such a nice office empty for so long. Are you fairly mobile? Want a key to my office? It wouldn’t be official but you can use it whenever. Someone should enjoy it.

9. John says:

Not really Redmond – but the new MS Cafe on top of the lincoln square building in Bellevue is an awesome place to hang out and work…(I am there right now) – 28th floor – best view in bellevue, complete with outside seating (when the weather is nicer…) – best yet – when you need a break – walk across to belsquare and get some holiday shopping done…

10. HeatherLeigh says:

John – that sounds like a winner! I was there last week (14th or 15th floor) but didn’t go to the top. The proximity to shopping is key!