Recycler guilt

I have recycler guilt. I check everything for recyclability (huh?). I wash out the containers so my recycling bin doesn’t get stinky. As we know, I hate “stinky”. Unless it’s pleasantly stinky (gasoline, magic markers), then I love it in a lightheaded-I-don’t-care-about-my-braincells-they’ll-grow-back kind of way. Also, clean wet dog is kind of nice and some other things, but I don’t want to scare you and that’s beside the point.

So anyway, I don’t feel guilty enough for this. Let’s see, can we weigh the value of making a dramatic (and valuable) point with the fact that you probably smell like the liquid that leaks out of the bottom of a trash dumpster, for 2 weeks? Two weeks of stink! Unbearable.

On the flip side, I had to move some stuff around in my garage yesterday so I could get my new garage door installed and I’m a little peeved about the fact that I have been storing some old crap in my garage simply because it’s difficult to dispose of. Namely, one computer monitor (that Goodwill won’t take….I know! I could give you a list of things they don’t take) and an unused box spring that was rendered redundant. Plus some furniture and electronics (anyone want a 27 inch TV? A broken Tivo box?). I can’t bring myself to take this stuff to the dump, but I am POed every time I pull into my garage and try to get out with an armful of shopping bags and minimal lateral clearance.

I see those people that actually, like, do stuff in their garage. You know, stuff with screw drivers and table saws. Yeah, that’s not me. Lately, it’s been a drop-it-and-go kind of a situation. But I guess it could be worse. I could be carrying around last weeks leftovers in a bag around my waist. Gross.

1. Wine-Oh says:

Gasoline is a pleasant smell? Oy. Desserts are a pleasant smell 🙂

2. KJJ says:

Have you heard of  I am sure you could post your items on there and somebody would want them.  It’s sort of like craigslist, but all of the items posted are free.  I "freecyled" my old computer monitor and it felt great.  After somebody emailed me that they wanted it, I gave them my address, put it outside my garage door, and it was gone when I got home!  Very easy and much better than throwing things away.

3. Mike Dunn says:

There must be a geek somewhere at work that could use a TV, or wouldn’t mind fooling around with the Tivo. (You could at least scavenge the HD out of it.)

You could also take the stuff to an e-waste recycler:

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Wine-Oh, desserts are so pedestrian 🙂

KJJ- tried it for the box spring and no takers. I should put the other stuff up there too or put them on our classifieds at work. Still a bit of a hassle. I’m generally not a lazy person. I think that this is just an issue for me because when I am done with something, I want it to disappear! But you are right. I should do this.

Mike- well if any such geek is reading this, they know where to reach me. Maybe I’ll check out the e-waste thing for the monitor (I really can’t imagine anyoje wanting it).

5. Wine-Oh says:

yes but desserts are good and tasty. gasoline while a necessity, smells and your hands smell all day from gas.

Tell me you were one of those kids who sniffed white out, rubber cement and mr. smelly markers:)

6. HeatherLeigh says:

mostly the markers and you don’t have to be a kid to enjoy that.

I find sweet smells cloying. I think that the vanilla candle thing ruined it for me.

7. crawdad13 says:

my best friend just moved to seattle…I’ll tell him about the TV and see if he wants it

8. Rick Pennington says:

The smelly markers were like crack when I was a resident adviser.  People would literally fight over their favorite smells. I know I know.. I laughed at first too, but then someone nearly ripped my arm off for the red cherry marker.

9. HeatherLeigh says:

I’m partial to the blue respberry.

10. Tim says:

Dude, there’s blue raspberry? Dang it, I’ve been out of the loop.

11. HeatherLeigh says:

I hate to admit but I experienced it recently at a training. Yeah, I was the weirdo in the corner sniffing the markers.

12. Rob says:

One day it’s markers and White Out, the next you’re under an overpass huffing gasoline with a guy named Rub A Dub. It’s a slippery slope.

13. HeatherLeigh says:

Nah, I’m pretty sure I have it under control. Anyway, it sounds like you have a personal story you want to share.

14. RJD says:

I was an Environmental Science major in college, and the project in one of our classes was to measure the College’s waste stream.  This meant getting up at 3 am every day for six weeks (or so) so we could beat the trash people to the bags in every building, weighing the bags of trash, and collecting "random samples".  AC is in the snow belt, and we’d sometimes have two feet of accumulation while doing this.  At 3 am.

At first, the Campus Center sounded like a bad deal, but after seeing what girls throw out, I’m glad I didn’t have the girl’s dorms.

Pass the markers?

15. HeatherLeigh says:

Haha…no details please! We girls need to keep our secrets!

After that, you might need the gas can, not the markers, what do you think?