Dear Blog

Dear Blog,

This isn’t the type of thing that I should write in a letter but I’m not sure I can tell you to your face. I have tried to tell you before, but every time you open in my browser window and look at me like that, it reminds me how much I love you. I really do love you. I have never stopped loving you. It’s just that I am weak. And one night, while you were sleeping, I opened a Facebook account. It just caught my attention. And it’s been fun. I can’t deny that. I’ve enjoyed it. I even played with it while I was on vacation. I am so ashamed.

I’m not sure what I am asking you for. All I can do is tell you that I still love you, but I am not going to stop seeing Facebook. It fills a need in my life that you don’t. Now that I am sharing all of this with you, I should probably tell you that I have been seeing LinkedIn too. I’m not trying to hurt you, but I thought you should know.

I feel a little guilty about all of this. What do you think? Can we work this out?

1. Gautam says:

Hi Heather,

I guess you haven’t clarified expectations upfront with your blog.

My blog and I have an "open relationship"

I can choose not to post, and other people can still see her 🙂

I agree that Facebook and Linkedin fulfil other aspects that a blog can’t. But am quite comfortable because my blog relationship is still the "deepest"

:-))

regards

Gautam

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Yep, same here. Facebook kind of surprised me though.

3. RJD says:

Harlot!

Maybe I need a Facebook account now, since all the cool kids have one.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

I know. "Trollop!" as my mom would say. I guess I just have too much love to give. Haha.

You should definitely get one. Do it when you have some time to spend though. You’ll get sucked into it for a while. I have been told it wears off a bit.

It’s definitely more of a "personal" space, but I suppose that I feel that way since I’m blogging on msdn.

If you do, don’t forget to ping me.

5. Bad_Brad says:

Be very careful here, Heather.  Blogs have been known to fly right off the PC and attack cheaters in fits of rage.  Tread lightly.

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Hee! My blog seems more mellow than that. He never officially asked me to be exclusive. Also, technically, we were on a break 😉

7. crawdad13 says:

That’s not a "dear John" letter worthy of Microsoft’s standards…But This is:

Seriously, read this…you’ll love it.

Bill G is a GENIUS (and proved it in 1985)

8. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah, guess I wasn’t going for the genius thing. If people are coming here for some kind of insight into the direction of the PC industry, I’m afraid they have the wrong gal 🙂

9. Pat says:

I did this HH, I think I am the one that helped you start ‘looking around’ to Facebook.  I am suffering from the same media crisis in my life.  The Blue Blog ™ has gone by the wayside for now and I have no guilt.  At least you are going through the motions.  I can’t even bring myself to look at anything but facebook as I am so deliquent.  Great.

10. crawdad13 says:

you know I was just joking arounand NOT criticizing…Right?

That’s the problem with written communications; no nuance.

11. HeatherLeigh says:

Of course! Only way to add nuance is those stupid smiley face thingswhich I hate to use but I feel like I have to anyway. I hate them so!

12. HeatherLeigh says:

Yes Pat, you did this. But I still love you.

13. Here’s an interesting and original way of putting it. I’ve read loads of posts about Facebook and how it has taken over their lives and how it has become somewhat dear to them. It’s pretty funny. Thanks for injecting humor into this. It makes all of us a little less guilty.

14. tod hilton says:

Have you heard about Facebook’s Beacon? You should read this: http://burningbird.net/technology/face-about/

Even though a few people have asked me I just haven’t had the desire to join, but this alone is reason enough for me to never do so.

15. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah, I have. But it hasn’t really impacted me yet. I just bought a bunch of kids books for my friends’ kids. I’m sure that’s fascinating to someone. If I am going to buy anything humiliating, I prefer having the full experience of buying the humiating item in person. It’s one of life’s great pleasures 😉

Seriously, tod, you are missing out. I get the concern about not having them spy on you (though I have to admit that I don’t fully understand how the spying works), but at the same time, it’s fun; which is why I think people are getting so bunched up over it.

Are you buying something online that you don’t want us to know about? 🙂

16. tod hilton says:

no comment on my purchases 😉

Seriously though, I’ll do a post sometime regarding my thoughts on social networks (Facebook, MySpace, etc.), but in a nutshell I think they’re more of a time suck than anything else and the value I get out of them doesn’t outweigh the time I would put in to it.  That’s just me though and judging by their obvious popularity I’m a minority (which I’m used to).

17. HeatherLeigh says:

tod – you aren’t weird enough to be the consistent minority. I’ve met you and I’m a good judge of weird 🙂