New Microsoft website for job seekers….and it’s actually good

We recently launched a new website to give a funky little peak behind the curtain at Microsoft. If you don’t have a sense of humor, you’ll hate it. Trust me. Don’t click on the singing cowboy videos.

The site is primarily aimed at tech folk, but a lot of the content makes sense for the rest of us non-coder-types as well. These are real Microsoft employees (disclaimer: the cowboy is an actor. Just thought I would let you know in case you wondered if we was on staff). I have long been, well, kind of complaining, that we don’t do a good job of showing our real employees to the world. Past marketing has been full of clips of two-dimensional, perfect-looking people. I like the people on the View<myworld> site much more. Check out Jasmine who writes one of my favorite blogs Pike/Pine. There are lots of videos too with people discussing a bunch of roundtable topics like careers at Microsoft and making an impact.

Yeah. so it’s obviously marketing. But it ‘s real people telling about their actual experiences. In the staffing industry, recruiters lament the lack of any valuable career site content. Most corporate pages are transactional and <yawn> boring. So although I had nothing to do with this web page going up (though you may see a video I produced up there in the future), I’m pretty proud of this.

1. Sushant Bhatia says:

Ahhhh…it requires flash! Oh No!!!

Quick someone get silverlight in there 🙂

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah, the development process for the site pre-dated the Silverlight launch.

3. William says:

Interesting!  Very creative!

A couple of recommendations:

Going from <my World> to the official career page is quite a jolt user experience wise.  It had me "running" back to <my World> to do more exploring, but not looking at the opportunities.

User experience when looking at blogs list/scroll… I went for the browser scroll, when there is this grey bar mid-page to slide up and down (confusing, not intuitive).  Would recommend making the user experience consistent (and simple).

The BIGGEST mistake… where is your blog on the list?  Who should we lobby for this change?  8~)

It’s great to see the boundaries pushed to better articulate life in an organization to people on the outside!

4. I am just quoting below what has been put on One Louder Blog. Check out this nicely designed site View&lt;

5. Steve Boyko says:

“give a funky little peak behind the curtain”

Please, please – you PEEK behind a curtain, you reach the PEAK of the mountain, something can PIQUE your interest.

So many people use “peak” when they mean “peek”.

Sorry, I had to rant.

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Do you have any opinion to offer on the blog post other than correcting my spelling? Really, the spelling corrections are boring. Yeah, I spell stuff wrong sometimes. Sometimes it’s a typo, sometimes it’s the fault of spell check and sometimes I don’t give a rip.

I’d rather talk about the content of the post than my spelling. I actually remember writing the post and trying to type peek, not that I need to justify it.

7. Paul says:

Interesting idea, but it still felt over-produced.  I just watched a handful to get a sense of what you are trying to portray.

The video that I would strongly recommend is Lisa Brummel.  I was most skeptical of what kind of message would come from an SVP of HR, but she was impressive, and seemed more ‘real’ than the techie roundtables.  If she was running the whole company, I think you’d be a stronger place.

Also, Blaise (Seadragon/Photosynth) seems to be very sincere/authentic and not trying to act for the camera — disappointing that he is described as a cynic. (Whoever felt the need to add that editorial comment should be advised to edit it out — I think that comment is more negative than any borderline cynicism he may express).   I didn’t see that at all.  Just a hard core techie who loves what he does.  Besides, no one who is smart enough to work at Microsoft needs to be told what type of person he is — it’s an insulting characterization, doesn’t add value, and isn’t necessary.