Cricket players are the cleanest players of any sport

So this is what all those guys in white are doing on the junior high school field. I frequently see them when I drive by and was wondering what was up with cricket lately.

I like the white unis but really, how does one keep them clean? I guess there’s no tackling in cricket, huh?

1. Graham says:

Teaching Americans cricket is a hopless task (I have tried many times!!). Just getting past the terminology takes several days (try LBW, googly, silly mid on or silly mid off, for starters).

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Hmm, well the terms sound fun but I’m not going to be able to pretend to want to learn anything about it during college football season. But the outfits look very nice! 🙂 Seems it may be more genteel (sp?) than most Americans look for in a sport. However, I feel compelled to point out that I do like to watch tennis on TV. And their outfits are white too and I hear that tea and scones are sometimes involved.

Maybe I’ll watch one of the cricket matches just to get a feel for it; as much as one can without understanding the sport at all.

3. Gautam Ghosh says:

Hi Heather

well, you can get acquainted with the nuances of the sport here

Yes it is a more genteel sport compared to American football, and is apparently the sport from which baseball was derived

4. wine-oh says:

Off topic but wanted to mention this… Nice quote in yesterday’s E mail blast. 🙂

5. HeatherLeigh says:

Gautam – I’ll check it out. I;m just glad I spelled genteel correctly!

wine-oh, I didn’t know I was in it. Can you send it to me? It’s funny that they don’t even ping me on that stuff anymore.

6. Native Wizdom says:

Enough of this cricket talk…talk about USC impending loss to NU this Saturday.

I will be in Hawaii prepping for the Maui Marathon.  So I will be watchin’ from afar.

I know you are a USC alumni and would like to know your thoughts.

7. HeatherLeigh says:

My thoughts are it’s easy to make crazy statements like that when you are anonymous. If you think USC is going to fall to Nebraska, then man-up (or woman-up….whichever you are) and put your name and link on your comment.

Unless of course you are afraid to be proven wrong/crazy/horribly unknowledgable in college football 🙂

The whole "anonymous coward" thing don’t work with the smack talk, my friend.

8. Rob says:

baseball was derived from stickball, a game children played

9. HeatherLeigh says:

does that mean cricket and baseball are related?

10. Jessica says:

Both have a bat and a ball (cricket actually has 2 bats, as there are 2 batters), a number of people on the field and you have to hit the ball then run to a certain place to be "safe" and score points. Think of cricket as being a bit like baseball with only 1 base, and 2 guys run back and forth until one gets out, he gets replaced with another etc.

No tackling really, some diving and skidding and dirt/grass stains though, it is very much suited to tea and scones.

I’m sure my lack of baseball knowledge makes you cringe as much as a lacking of cricket knowledge does to me, but that’s not our fault of being American and Australian where the two sports are almost mutually exclusive in the popularity.

Next weeks sports lesson: netball

11. HeatherLeigh says:

Jessica, that was a good explanation. Totally makes sense to me. I don’t cringe at limited baseball knowledge at all. I find it hard to hang in there with baseball sometimes because compared to football (the American kind) it goes so slowly.

Anything that involves tea and scones is OK with me (though I am doing a little maintenance dieting right now and the mere idea of scones is about enough for me to lose my mind….there are definitely scones in my future….the real kind, not the starbucks kind).

Looks like I’ll be traveling to Autralia early next year. I hadn’t thought abuot it but perhaps I’ll get to see cricket players in their natural habitat.

12. HeatherLeigh says:

Gee, what are the chances that Native Wizdom comes back? I mean after that resounding beating Nebraska gave us today.

13. frenchie says:

Baseball (and softball for that matter) did NOT evolve from stickball.  I think it’s most likely the other way around.  Here ya go:

Rounders (Irish: cluiche corr) is a sport which originated in Great Britain and Ireland. The game is regulated by the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) in Ireland and the National Rounders Association (NRA) in the UK. Both have different, although broadly similar, game-play and culture. Competitions are held between teams from both traditions with games alternating between codes, often with one version being played in the morning and the other being played in the afternoon.

Game-play centers around innings where teams alternate at turns being batters and fielders. A maximum of nine players are allowed to play in fielding positions at one time. Points ("rounders") are scored by the batting team by completing a circuit around the field through four bases/posts without being put ‘out’ – for example, by a ball they batted being ‘caught-out’ or touching a tagged base/post.

The earliest nationally formalised rules of play were devised by the GAA in Ireland in 1884. Liverpudlian and Scottish associations were formed in 1889. The NRA were not formed until 1943. Baseball (both the "New York game" and the now-defunct "Massachusetts game") as well as softball evolved from rounders (see origins of baseball) and bears a striking resemblance to the GAA version of the game. Rounders is closely linked to British Baseball, which is still played in Liverpool, Cardiff and Newport. In fact, literary mention of "base-ball" pre-date those of rounders. Rounders is now played on all levels from school-level to internationals.

14. Lloyd says:

Baseball was derived from "rounders" which is what was considered a "girls’ version" of cricket. Cricket has the oldest history of any current sport in the world and has a long history in America. George Washington,John Adams and other early Americans played cricket and cricket was our "national" game until about the 1880’s .

Baseball then surpassed it mainly because the people of

British descent wouldn’t allow the newer European immigrants to play. For more see