"Professionals typically resort to unconventional tactics after bouts of rejection"

Is that enough of a reason not to don the gorilla suit? I think the point is to know whether the person you are targeting with your efforts is receptive to the gimmicks. Me, not so much.

1. crawdad13 says:

Hey Heather,

FYI the Gorilla-suit link isn’t working.

BTW, I have been sending links to your blog to kids I know in college who are trying to decide on grad school.  The MBA posts are gold for them.

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Crawdad13 – link should work now. Thanks for the heads up….I’m getting sloppy on the links. I should be more careful. Glad you think these posts are helpful. That makes me feel good to hear that! Thanks!

3. MeetGeorgeJetson says:

Now we could do it with conventional tactics but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody’s part.

In a whimsical blog reply, yes.

I don’t think I’d try it to get a job.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

That must be a movie quote or something because I don’t get it.

5. MeetGeorgeJetson says:

Yes, from Animal House 🙂

See Otter’s 2nd line

6. thompson says:

Heather, what sort of ridiculous attempts have you witnessed first hand?

7. HeatherLeigh says:

thonpson – not much other than people trying to use "free lunch" as a reason for me to meet with them. Some people can get pretty pushy.

8. Tim says:

I’ve heard of the person who sent a tennis shoe and a resume saying he’d like to get his "foot in the door" to a Hollywood production company, but I wasn’t sure if it was an urban myth or not.

Dealing in a company (like yours) that gets hundreds upon hundreds of resumes a week, my best advice is have someone else proofread your resume. That’s worth more than every gimmick in the book.

9. HeatherLeigh says:

Tim – I have heard that one so many times. That is THE story that goes around, isn’t it? At the very least, I am sure that someone heard the story and thought it sounded like a good idea to try.

Re: the proof reading, that is so true. You should have them profof-read it for spelling, grammar, punctuation and whether or not it makes sense. It’s still pretty shocking to me how many people have blatant spelling errors though. I see it all the time.