Just like 1985

In time for my high school reunion (thanks guys), Van Halen is reuniting (kind of). How far through the scheduled tour dates before Eddie Van Halen wraps his picking hand around David Lee Roth’s throat? Any guesses?

1. Jim S says:

The last of DLR’s money must’ve gone up his nose.

2. HeatherLeigh says:

I’m not sure if the drugs make you permanently annoying though. Is that possible? Outside of my realm of expertise (the drugs part,  not the annoying part).

3. Jim S says:

I guess he’s been keeping himself busy:

I feel dirty linking/reading Fox News.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah…I just read the headline and then switched quickly back to my blog. If you don’t look at it for too long, it doesn’t count.

5. Lauren Smith says:

"third singer"?!

Man… You front Extreme, Van Halen, and give the world "More than Words", and all the recognition you get is that "third singer".

This is why I never became a professional musician.

6. wine-oh says:

Yes its trippy to think Van Halen is reuniting. What remains to be seen is how well Eddie’s son Wolfie does as the bassist. Hes 16. Whats next, Bananarama?

7. HeatherLeigh says:

Lauren- Extreme was definitely seen as a one-hit-wonder here in the US. And I can’t remember that guy’s name. Gary something; something that starts with a C? The album he did with VH was not well-reviewed.

Wine-Oh, I hope you aren’t saying that VH and Bananrama are the same! Thanks to a boyfriend in high school, I think I know every word to that 1984 album. Ironically, he also loved Sammy Hagar but this was well before any inkling of him joining the band. And he also loved ELO. So stay tuned, maybe Eric what’s-his-name will be joining VH next.

8. William says:

I would wager the just after the first chorus of the first song of the first set… however, it (obviously won’t be the "first" time Eddie has thought this…  I’m playing 1984 right now…

9. wine-oh says:

No VH and Bananarama are totally not the same. Was just trying hard to come up with some band from the 80s and thats what popped into my head. ELO? Wow thats a band I havent heard in years.

Remember the short lived show on VH1 called Bands Reunited? They got Flock of Seagulls, Scandal, Kajagoogoo, and Romeo Void. Ahh the 80s!

10. AmyT says:

–> How do you feel about Charlotte, NC? I’d say fly out to see that first show if you want to see them. On the otherhand, I’m thinking that show may never happen either. Just go home and listen to your fav Val Halen album really loud – that’s your best bet.

11. HeatherLeigh says:

william- yeah, after DLR decides to do a comedic monologue (sp?) between the first and secind song.

wine-oh, I still love ELO (you can hear Mr. Bluesky in a bunch of commercials…and also on my workout playlist…good stuff). I do remember that series on VH1. I think Patty Smyth is awesome so obviously the Scandal one was my favorite. Man, all those bands had some "issues" huh? Kind of like a marriage that broke up.

12. HeatherLeigh says:

AmyT – love Charlotte but I was just in Charleston…long flight! Hmm, I’m going to be in Chicago a few times over the next couple of months…

Listening to that music brings back crazy memories, including really bad fashion. Jelly shoes? Anyone?

13. Bad_Brad says:

Sammy Hagar is a better artist than David Lee Roth.  Roth was more of a showman, Hagar was the real deal, and Van Halen had a more authentic sound with him.  IMHO.

14. HeatherLeigh says:

Bad_brad, I agree but I think the song-writing was better pre-Sammy.

15. wine-oh says:

Is it Sammy Hagar who owns Cabo Wabo Tequilla?

16. HeatherLeigh says:

Yep. I saw a profile of him on MTV or something and he was WAY into the tequila. Dude should make sure he’s got another hobby for sure.