Fun team events in the Redmond/Seattle area?

This is a question for any locals that read my blog. I know a lot of teams do fun/morale events locally but there’s really no repository where someone can go to find out about them. I’ve come across a couple things (there’s a ropes course at Red Hook….who knew?), but was wondering what some of the fun team events were that you have done. We’ve got team members coming in from out of state so we want to make sure we show them a good time.

Any ideas?

1. Mike says:

Our team at Microsoft did the Mystery and Scavenger Hunt. It looks kinda cheesy at first but it was a lot of fun and you end up seeing a lot of downtown Seattle in the process (although you’re in a bit of a hurry).

2. HeatherLeigh says:

That actually looks fun!

3. Ariel says:

I still miss http://www.forrest-pruzan.com/location/locbased.html. I worked there 10 years ago and it was a great place for team-building.

That said, I now have a soft spot for http://www.whirlyball.net/

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Ariel, you links got wonky, so I fixed them. Those games look amazing. I’ve never seen anything like that. We have done Whirlyball before (I’ve done it twice now) and it is fun. You can definitely tell who are the Type-As (ym, all of us?). I want to spend some more time on that first site though. There might be something interesting there! Thanks for the ideas!

5. upton says:

lord god don’t do a ropes course. it is the biggest corporate cliche. if you must make them partake in physical activity then that whirlyball thing looks good.

you should rent a drunk bus for the day. take a tour of the city with planned pitstops. go bowling. go to shorty’s for lunch (http://www.shortydog.com). check out http://www.yelp.com for ideas of places to go during the day. just my two cents.

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Ropes are a corporate cliche? Really? Sounded like fun to me. I had no idea it was viewed that way. Even Oprah did it 🙂 Hmm, something to think about. We’ve already done Whirlyball several times (I even posted pictures at one point), so I think that we’ll probably skip that. We’ve done bowling as well (I hate to say that I am not a fan with the shoes and the balls and the pins). We’ve got meetings so I’m going to say that a "drunk bus" is probably out of the question. We are probably more of a team that wants to do/experience something. So probably more interested in activities than attractions, if that makes any sense. That’s kind of what we are shooting for with our morale events. We’ve got a mix of local and field people that don’t get to see each other face to face very often.  This is kind of like buying a present for the person that has everything. I’ll definitely check out your link.

7. Josh King says:

The hike to the top of Rattlesnake Ledge (just past North Bend) is fun, and the views from the top are amazing.  It’s 2 miles each way and only requires moderate fitness (my kids have been doing it since they were 5).  For those who don’t want to climb, the lake is pretty and there is an amazing conference center (the Cedar River Watershed education center) that would be a great spot for your meetings.

8. HeatherLeigh says:

Josh- hiking sounds interesting. My first morale event at MS was hiking and I thought I was going to pass out, but it sounds like the hike yoiu suggest is more moderate 🙂

9. Julie says:

I need suggestions too!!  I have a small group of 3 people. Any other ideas?  I looked into that ropes course at Red Hook – but couldn’t find it.

Help!

Thanks!!

julie.kemp@chpw.org

10. HeatherLeigh says:

Julie – we ended up doing a wine tasting at SeaStar in Bellevue. The gentleman who did the tasting is a Vassar professor who knows anincredible amount about wine and was really engaging. If anyone else is intersted, I could probably put you in touch with him.

11. Barb Peterson says:

Our staff had a blast doing The Electric Boat Company scavenger hunt on Lake Union. We had four boats of six and it was very competitive.

From their website:

Scavenger Hunts:  A scavenger hunt event is available for groups with multi-boat parties.  Here, the boats compete with one another to find various locations and points of interest on the lake and take pictures with Polaroid cameras provided by The Electric Boat Company.  The first team to come back to the dock with all of their pictures wins.  Length of Time: 3 hrs.  Cost in addition to boat rental: $19.95 per person with a 8 person minimum.

12. Hallo says:

We did a cooking class at Starry Nights in Kirkland and it was the best morale event ever (had full attendance!) and everyone cooked together and ate together.  A few folks hated cooking, but still got to stand around drinking wine.  Good times.

13. We are a local event planning company that specializes in Morale events.  I do over 20 Morale type picnics every year in all locations, we can bring in Jet Skiis, Climbing Walls, Concessions, Inflatables, Euro Bungee Jumping & much More.  We have the only Mobile Rope’s Course on the West Coast and we can handle all of your planning needs.  Please check us out at http://www.clownsunlimited.com or you can contact me @ lance@clownsunlimited.com.

Thanks for looking!

14. Ashok Kamath says:

Nice event ideas here, so I'll add one more for future visitors' benefit. Mini golf at Willows Run in Redmond can be a fun outing as well (http://www.willowsrun.com/…/layout9.asp).

15. Jim Johnston (MSFT) says:

This is an old thread that I just stumbled across after our team just did a bicycle team building event on the Commons. We used http://www.seattle-team-building.com) and the two facilitators were awesome.  It was really, really cool when the kids came at the end to pick up the bikes, it definitely put that finishing touch on.  We had looked at some of the other activities but we have mixed fitness levels in our group so the ropes course etc were out of the question.

jimjoh