A little disconcerting

I just had one of those moments at the gym where I think someone recognized me from my blog. This happens every once in a while. Someone looks at me as if they know me and I have never seen the person before. Kind of like they are greeting someone they know until they realize that there’s absolutely no glimmer of recognition on the other person’s face. Because the person writing the blog can’t see you reading it (really, I can’t, so carry on). I’m OK with people saying “hey”. In fact, I want them to; just at the right time.

I seriously thought she was trying to get my attention to start a conversation on the treadmill. Like my huge headphones weren’t a clue that all I could muster energy for at the time was running, breathing and sweating profusely. Oh, yeah…and lip synching. And a teeny-tiny bit of air drums when the mood strikes. I think she realized what she was doing.

I’m a master of avoiding eye contact at the gym. You don’t look at me, I won’t look at you. If it was you, don’t feel bad…you just freaked me out there for a second : )

1. Jay says:

That’s a classic case of poor gym etiquette.

As for seeing the reader… The current security model for avatars on MyBlogLog has a few issues to work out, but it represents one way to "see" who is reading your posts.  Well, technically, it is a way to "see" who clicked through a post but avatars aren’t always representative.

2. Brandon says:

Heather,

Maybe she was just checking you out and was looking for the opportunitiy to hit on ya, I here that happens everyone now and again.  Well at least that is what some one told me once personally I have no idea what that would be like.

But then again I am not famous either so I wouldn’t know what that would be like.

3. darrencox says:

I have figured out the perfect solution to this problem…I don’t go to the gym.

I only run when chased or playing with my kids (and most of the time they already recognize me)

I have had this happen to me many other times and it usually ends up being someone that I either went to school with or that I have met in my business career at some point.

I am absolutely terrible with faces and only remember names if I find out the name before I meet someone, so I usually just acxt like they are a long lost friend that I haven’t seen and act like I couldn’t be happier to see them.

The folks at the gym that really bug me (ok so I go occasionally, but only in spurts) are the guys who start talking to you like you care about theirworkout habits, or any other part of their life, just because you are sitting in the sauna with them.

"I am in here to sweat dammit, not to hear about why you have to come to the gym late at night. (turns out he slipped on some ice fell off the loading dock and hurt his back…blah blah blah) doesn’t he know that I think its funny when people fall down… NO he doesn’t because he doesn’t know me.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Jay – hmm, seeing a person = seeing an avatar? Seems alittle Second Life to me. I’m happy with First Life : )

Brandon- I’m not famous either. Just recognizable, I guess. I know what it feels like to be hit on and that was not what was going on.

darren – I’m bad with faces too. I forget people I have met before all the time…same thing for me…if they have a name tag or something, I can figure it out. Seriously, avoiding eye contact keeps people from being able to talk to you. I know that makes me sound unfriendly but at the gym, it’s just a different thing.

5. Wine-Oh says:

Sorry I will try and not stare next time. 🙂

6. Patblue says:

HH –  I have had this happen to me before at the gym, at least this happened to you in the gym on the treadmill rather than in the locker room, it is much more awkward when this situation occurs there.

7. HeatherLeigh says:

Wine-Oh..I always thought you were a dude : )

Patblue – there’s NO eye contact in the locker room! None!

8. HH  I dont think I could identify you based on 72 X 96 measly pixels- gotta be some kind of savant to do that !

Or do you post other pics on your blog?

Are you somehow indicating that you are not at a Microsoft gym ?

How rustic 😉

9. HeatherLeigh says:

I have posted other pictures. There’s actually no Microsoft gym. Microsoft pays membership to the Pro Club but it’s open to public membership as well. Did I say something that made it seem like I was at a certain type of gym? It’s just the same gym most gym-going Microsofties go to. Largest gym in North America, actually. Pretty cool, huh?

10. Wine-Oh says:

Somehow that word Microsofties doesnt sound right. Sounds like a clan or a tribe (which it can be) Maybe Microsoftians is a better term. Im not sure…

11. Margo says:

I would say Microsoftie sounds like a type of desert…

I exercise in my apartment complex gym.  But only with my boyfriend with me.  I hate being stared at.

12. London says:

That has happen to me in the past, in some cases it may come off as amusing, other times, just plain ole’ rude. At the gym, I am sure most are like me where I am in the ‘zone’…now although motivated to work out, i am so not motiviated to talk to anyone else…hence the reason i do this solo, with the occasional friend wanting to use the guest pass….You are breathless, tired, sweaty, and quite frankly not in the best frame of mind…or appearance to entertain a conversation. So I totally understand and empathize…

p.s. Air drumming ROCCCCCS!