Darn you, clocky

I rarely use an alarm clock anymore, but when I do, I frequently do the snooze button routine. In my groggy state, I can generally make deals with myself about what I will eliminate from my morning routine to allow myself a few more minutes of sleep time (I don’t HAVE to stop off for coffee). If I can mentally plan my outfit, I can do it with my eyes closed. No need to get up yet. I set the clock ten minutes fast, so I can add those ten minutes back in. It’s ridiculous.

Enter clocky. Little electronic jerk.

1. Wine-Oh says:

I am a chronic snooze button-a-holic. I set my alarm early so I have a built in 30 minutes of extra snooze time. In my house Clocky would fly out the window. It wouldnt last. Besides I have a backup alarm in the form of my dog. She is up when the alarm goes off and gets impatient when I hit the snooze bar too many times. Maybe I should change my dogs name to Clocky.

2. KW says:

I’m the opposite. I use alarm clock everyday….except sunday cause I would like to have one more hour of sleep before my kids wake me up. I normally have 2 alarm clocks next to me. When I’m on the road, I will have 2 alarm clocks (the alarm function in my blackberry and the alarm clock provided by the hotel)….and, I will also request the hotel to give me a morning call………just to make sure I wake up for morning meetings 🙂

3. HeatherLeigh says:

Wine-Oh,  that’s a great dog name : )

KW – people with kids most definitely need an alarm clock. As I get older, I find that I wake up naturally unless something has kept me up the night before. I’d say  that kids would fall into that category. I have a tendency to fall asleep on the couch while watching TV. So I guess that getting to sleep when my body needs it is what allows me towake up so early. Every once in a while, I’ll be up at 4-30 or 5 just because my body says it’s time. Those days I tend to need a nap though.

I think traveling is a different thing altogether. Flying just completely throws off your body clock. I’m always concerned about using a foreign alarm clock (did I set it right? what if it doesn’t go off?) so I also do the wake-up call as well as pre-arranged room servie with coffee!

4. Wine-Oh says:

"Here Clocky" or "Sit Clocky" or just doesn’t have the same ring to it as my dogs name. Only one that works is "BAAAADDD CLOCKY!!" 🙂

5. Steinkamp says:

My kids are early risers (6 and 4) and I had to teach them both at an early age that they couldn’t wake me up until the first digit on their clock was a six.  My son freaked out when he woke up a few hours after he went to bed and the clock said eleven.  He thought he missed the whole day!  Alarm clocks ARE brutal – whenever they go off it always feels like some horrible mistake.

6. Cosby says:

You think Clocky is annoying?  Check out this alarm clock:

You have to get out of bed to snooze it.  May as well get up at that point.

Remember the film Dumb and Dumber?  The bit where Harry and Lloyd ask the guy if he wants to hear the most annoying sound in the world?  They should have just used my alarm clock.

7. HeatherLeigh says:

Wine-Oh, here, try this one: "BAAADDDD Wine-Oh"…haha!

Steinkamp – cute. I still have dreams from time to time that I slept through a final exam. So I know what that feels to be freaking out like that. "Eleven? Hey wait…why is it dark out?"

Cosby – I guess they both kind of have the same idea. Though that flying one would be just like that weird dream thing I have where a big bug with long spindly legs is dive bombing my head (OK, I’m just now noticing how weird I sound when I talk about my dreams…please think of me as more eccentric than nuts, OK?).

I have to admit that I have never seen Dumb and Dumber. I know a lot of people think those kinds of movies are funny but I just can’t get into them. I must have a different kind of sense of humor. I watched Napoleon Dynamite a few weeks ago and once you get past the Idaho-as-alternative-universe-where-everything-is-kind-of-eighties-like-and-these-things-could-happen concept, it wasn’t funny. I know a whole bunch of people are probably going to tell me I "don’t get it" and think I am evil, but I can’t help it. So, I missed that part in Dumb and Dumber, but I’d much rather you tell me what the most annoying sound in the world is than have to watch the movie : )

8. Derek Bigelow says:

Why don’t they just have alarm clocks that shoot water at your face?  And am I the only one who thinks they should eliminate the generic buzz sound that all alarm clocks have?  Can’t they aim for something more gradually soothing?

9. HeatherLeigh says:

How about a bed that keeps tilting until you fall out?

10. Tim says:

I agree, I don’t like Clocky. I don’t like where he comes from, what he represents, or his offhanded buzzing when I am trying to dream.

I am, however, glad to hear that many of the people weighing in have little children that wake them up before their alarm sounds.

I don’t have Clocky, I have Wiggly and Snorey. The both sound off around 4:30am if they are in bed with you.

Any takers?

11. HeatherLeigh says:

Aww, Tim…Wiggly and Snorey are cute though!

12. Wine-Oh says:

I have a wiggly and snorey too. But its the all in one model. This morning she was in Clocky mode and was raring to go and wake me up on my 4th snooze attempt.

13. RJD says:

>I’m always concerned about using a foreign alarm clock (did I set it right? what if it doesn’t go off?)

Yes, metric time always throws me, too.  Stupid foreign countries!

Simple alarm clock + dogzilla (aka, canine the barbarian) is all I need.

14. HeatherLeigh says:

RJD – foreign alarm clock = not my own alarm clock…not an alarm clock in a foreign country, silly. I finally trained my dog to stop nudging me in the AM with his cold wet nose but I do hear the jangle of his collar after the alarm goes off…not enough to get me out of bed though.

15. Margo says:

My boyfriend thinks I am weird because I set my clock 2 hours fast….

Somehow seeing 8am on the clock makes me think I have slept in… as opposed to what it really is… 6 *yawn* am.

16. RJD says:

It’s extra worse when you have to deal with 100 minute metric hours, and a clock whose buttons you don’t know.

That’s some serious dog training!  Dogzilla pushes the bed back and forth when it’s time to get up.  Would be funny if it wasn’t me he was waking up.