What I think about The Apprentice…

…nothing yet. Was it my subconscious that kept me from adding the show to my list of programs to be recorded? Uh, maybe. I’ll be recording it on CNBC (I think) where it airs a day or 2 later. Whatever. It’s hardly breaking news.

I’m not sure that I’ll be doing recaps but it became clear to me that people liked talking about the Apprentice. I never did watch last season. I missed the outlet. I think I may have overreacted to Fast Company describing me as a blogger with a Trump “obsession”. It’s OK FC, I forgive you. To the extent that one can have an obsession with something that they don’t necessarily admire but that is a total spectacle and curiosity, then color me guilty. Is “campy” the right word? Over the top?

What I truly wish for in the New Year is that both Trump and Rosie zip it. You are both bugging me. Though the Donald gets a little more of my disdain because I feel like we went through something similar right before last season. Quel surprise! He can’t be stupid. He must think we are. And having the daughter defend him on the Today Show. Please.

Companies that advertise during The Apprentice, I want you to know that I am watching, but I am fast forwarding through the commercials. Those companies that participate in the challenges, well, I am sure that you will get your own punishment (Tide! Tide! Tide to go!).

So, what can you expect from me during this season of The Apprentice? Something. I’m not quite sure what yet. I’ll let you know after I watch the first episode. Tonight is all about college football (I’d be singing a different tune if we were in the NC game, but since we aren’t, “Go Buckeyes!”)

1. Tod Hilton says:

I’ve given up on The Apprentice.  I suffered through the last 2 seasons and feel like I lost too many brain cells.

Initially I liked Trump’s style in the first couple of seasons, but the way he has replaced George and Carolyn with his own son and daughter takes the nepotism a little too far for my taste.

It sealed the deal when I saw the commercial for this season…the losers have to stay in tents. WTF?

Having said that, I do look forward to hearing your thoughts on the show. Keep us posted.

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah, I am not a big fan of the tents concept. Mostly because I practically break out in hives at the mere thought of camping. I’ll be watching the show for the contests not the boardroom ridiculousness (well, at least not the ridiculousness on the management side of the table…Ivanka really takes herself so seriously, doesn’t she?).

3. Bad_Brad says:

I like The Apprentice, although I agree that it is unfortunate that distinguished and experienced professionals like George and Carolyn have been replaced with Trump’s twenty-something son and daughter.  I am also not a big fan of the tents.  At no point in life will a professional have to sleep in a tent for simply getting beaten out by someone else.

The boardroom in the first couple of seasons was pretty good, it was a good session of defending a strategy or set of tactics that failed, or in some cases, simply detailing what went wrong and what could be learned or changed in the future.  Any more, it is simply a cover-your-@$$ and blame it on the other person no matter what.  Then again, maybe that’s more like the real business world than the other way.

As for Rosie and Donald, don’t think for a minute that their two publicists aren’t on the phone every day playing this thing out.  "Okay, you have Rosie say this, and we’ll have Donald counter with this.  And if that doesn’t prop up your ratings of The View by this much, then we’ll have Donald add on to it by saying this."  Because I can 100% guarantee you that’s happening.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Oh man, I would hatge to think that is happening. If my publicist would be orchestrating anyone calling me the names that Donald has calle Rosie, I would fire that person promptly.

And you are right about the tents. Not sure if I ever wrote about a "morale event" here shortly after I started where we went hiking. Yeah, I didn’t plan that one.

5. Wine-Oh says:

Any word on if Microsoft is a sponsor for this season? Anything but Tide to Go (I still am haunted by the martha version and that awful song) or a movie whos title no one can pronounce (Xathura)

6. HeatherLeigh says:

No clue, but if we were to sponsor something, people outside the immediate sponsoring grop (and maybe PR) would not really be privy. So if we do, I’ll find out when you find out. How exciting : )

I have to say…and maybe I’m just being a total homer…that our episode was mild relative to others with sponsors. I didn’t find ours incredibly annoying. I’ve got 2 words for you "Cheeseburger pizza".

7. Jim S says:

Microsoft should sponser The Apprentice. Who knows, if it were to work out they could slap their logo on the fat guy from Lost.

8. HeatherLeigh says:

That’s really nice Jim.

9. Well they’ve already snapped up Carolyn, haven’t they? And they were in season 5 with the famous video challenge. Whilst we’re on sponsorship though, Trump appears to be taking a cue from his show by getting his own name in some films. Saw his name in both Borat and Night At The Museum (at Wollman Rink).

Will you be blogging recaps of this season, Heather? I’m adding you to my blogroll if you are. I’d love to hear your reviews.

10. HeatherLeigh says:

Angry Medic – I think we just did some kind of deal with Carolyn. I don’t think she’s an actual Microsoft employee. I

m not sure.

I’m going to blog something…not sure if they will be full recaps. I need to double check my Tivo though…something isn’t right. It’s not getting recorded. Probably user error.

11. Manuel says:

I feel the same way. I think Ivanka is way too plastic though. Did you catch the new assistant? I don’t think I’ve seen her before. Andie (sp)? Is that his assistant in real life? Does anybody know anything about her?