No more celebrating…I need rest!

OK, first of all, Happy Birthday to me! Yay, I’m finally 29! Oh and for that guy that doesn’t get sarcasm but totally does get rude comments “<wink><wink><sarcasm>”…happy now?

This holiday was definitely busier than most and I have my awesome neighbor-friends to thank for that. I decided not to travel this holiday. I’d traveled enough this year, hitting Miami, NYC, LA and Phoenix since the beginning of September and the idea of staying at home *really* appealed to me. My travel schedule, combined with that trying snow storm and then that trying power-outage. Yeah. I felt some serious nesting coming on. I could have totally done the ceremonial opening of the spaghetti sauce jar but my neighbors would have none of that and I am glad that they encouraged me to be social. I spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with friends; the best part being watching kids rip into their presents. Who knew that Dora the Explorer was such a big deal? Also, it seems that princesses are big this year. And video games. I’m super fortunate to have the best neighbor-friends (that’s my new word for my neighbors) ever.

The goal for today is the avoid any opportunity for actually celebrating my birthday. Saying “Happy Birthday” is one thing, but actually *doing* something is pretty much out of the question. First of all, I am not a birthday-celebrating kind of gal. The idea of celebrating my own birthday makes me uncomfortable. I think it’s because deep down I am a little shy and not really that comfortable drawing much attention to myself for something as frivolous as a birthday celebration. Second, I am kind of sick of food right now. My normally healthy eating habits make me perfectly unequipped to deal with the onslaught of sugary/creamy/rich holiday food. Today is about drinking lots of water and eating salads. My system would like to return to its normal state. Anyway, thanks to the friends that have wanted to celebrate my birthday (I appreciate the thought) and for understanding why it just isn’t going to happen. Blame my parents who were always too tired in the 26th to really make the birthday thing work…I understand. I’m tired too.

The one thing I have typically done on the 26th is gone shopping. At the holidays, given that my birthday was close at hand, I could always count on a gift check under the tree and what better day to spend it than the biggest sale day ever? This year, I don’t have the heart to brave the crowds. I’m known in the neighborhood as quite the internet shopper (“is that brown truck stopping at her house again today?”) so I’m doing the sale shopping in my own way; by buying the set of dishes I want for my new kitchen on sale at Pottery Barn online. What a sense of satisfaction I get from actually exercising enough patience to wait for them to go on sale (a challenge for me)! Yeah, this holiday break has been quite busy with online shopping. When that delivery truck stops, you never know what you may have bought online and then forgot about.

Anyway, I will likely do some more blogging this week, but didn’t want to forget to wish everyone a Happy and Safe New Year!

1. tod hilton says:

Happy Birthday Heather! 29 is a great age… πŸ˜‰

2. JayG26 says:

Happy Birthday!

I hope you are having a great birthday and get everything you want.   I know it must be wired to have a birthday so close to Christmas. I have a friend whose birthday is the Week before Christmas and growing up his parents would always celebrate his half-birthday in June so that he could have a β€œreal” party.

3. ausic says:

Happy belated birthday and I hope the UPS truck is in today . Happy and healthy new year to you too.

4. Bhaskar says:

Heather,

Many Many Happy returns of the day…!!!!!!!!

& Wish you a Happy and Prosperous New year 2007..

bye

bhaskar

5. Lauren Smith says:

Happy Birthday, Heather!

(I really don’t get the point of age inflation.)

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Aww, thanks you guys! That’s nice!

Lauren – if you are pretending you think I am younger than 29, then bless you! : )

7. Derek Bigelow says:

Happy Birthday!

[I would have guessed 27, but now the cat’s out of the bag]  :]

8. Karthikeyan R says:

Belated happy b’day Heather. I can sooo relate to having a birthday during a rather festive period! Always seems like a non event for everyone!

And it sure seems unfair that on one designated day in the year you all of a sudden seem to grow a WHOLE YEAR older!

Cheers n keep smiling,

kr.

9. Christine says:

Happy birthday, Heather!  I’m sure the stores online will be having great sales as well.

I hear you about eating healthy!  I think our New Years resolutions kicked in today; I feel like you could have rolled me to work.

10. Doug says:

H2.

Happy Birthday a bit late!

As the proud parent of 3 under 5, I can confirm Dora and the Princesses are indeed  quite the deal. A local writer is absolutly sure that Disney is out to conquer the world one 3 year old at a time with the Disney Princess thing.  By Noon Monday my house was awash in Ariel, Jasmine, Aurora and Belle dolls, clothes, toys and accessories. The only thing that kept me sane was 4 hours of building slot car track for the boy.

I am thrilled to be back at work in order to get some rest before the traditional "stay up late to eat S’Mores and Popcorn while watching an animated film in our sleeping bags fest" at the Burris house.

All the best wishes for a successful, prosperous and most importantly fulfilling New Year.

Doug

11. Mom says:

Really? 29?  WOW–that makes me 47!

Hope you had a happy day!

Many happy visits from the UPS man.

12. mrscrooge says:

Happy Birthday Hamilton! Hope you’re having a nice relaxing day at home with Jonas. I’m writing this, happily ensconced in a relaxing common space in my work building :). Yep, came into work today. Looks like you got some flurries in Redmond last night!

13. rupert says:

Happy Birthday Heather! You look too old to be 29. Is t his a joke?

14. Steve G says:

Happy 29th Heather! I hope you had a great day enjoying the peace, quiet, lack of crowds and not going to the Airport.

Have an awesome 2007.

BTW, I stopped at celebrating birthdays at 33, just this year I celebrated my 18th 33rd birthday. They keep getting better. πŸ˜‰

Steve

15. john cass says:

Happy Birthday! Interesting triva, today was the 100th anniversary of the screening of the first motion picture in 1906.

16. DCMT says:

I applaud your parents for resisting the temptation to name you "Carol" or "Holly."

… 39 and holding

17. Jim S says:

Happy b-day and the standard holiday salutations Heather!

18. HeatherLeigh says:

Thanks all of you..um, except Rupert. : )

19. patblue says:

Happy Birthday HH!  Another year older and another year wiser.  Here is to a very good 2007 to you and Jonas.

20. HeatherLeigh says:

Well, older at least : ) Thanks Patblue!

21. rupert says:

I’m sorry for offending you. Sometimes I take things literelly.

22. Tim says:

Looks like I’m the last one on the bus, but hey, happy belated, Heather! Wow, talk about your 1-2-3 holiday punch. You’d better get some rest.

23. HeatherLeigh says:

Thanks Tim! I’m getting there…starting to feel normal again (that’s normal for me, not in general).

24. Jessica says:

Happy Belated Birthday! Myself and my boyfriend both understand the underwhelming birthday right after Christmas. I turned 23 last Saturday (the 6th) which I always thought sucked as a birthday, and as I get older both potential gift receiving and party having days seem to get less and less exciting, sad because I liked how fun it was and don’t mind a small celebration. (No really mum, the starter kitchen set with pots and pans and things that help cook things were great, the rocket blender thing absolutely thrilling, but nothing compared to the birthday cutlery set – none of which I am allowed to take out of the box yet ): just change the locks and be done with it).

I however am fortunate compared to yourself and the other half, who’s birthday is on New Year’s Day (or international hangover day as it sometimes known). Not only are people exhausted and stuffed after Christmas, they go that extra mile to party till they drop NYE so his birthday flashes past without so much as a whimper.

25. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah, I’m content with having a non-wimpering birthday too at tis point. Even when other people want to celebrate, I just don’t.