Expecting power…

Wednesday or Thursday, optimistically. This weekend at the latest, I hope. Today’s goal is to do laundry. I spent plenty of time doing laundry in laundromats when I was younger….ah, memories.

Here’s an article explaining how the power companies are prioritizing the delivery of power to different areas. I can’t really complain about their method of determining what gets fixed first. If anything, my complaint would be that they didn’t have a plan to get enough crews flown in, in the event of an emergency such as this. I’m sure emergency plans will be reviewed when all of this is over. In the meantime, the crews working diligently to fix the power grid deserve a big thank you from all of us.

It’s really interesting the role that ones state-of-mind plays in their coping with stuff like this. I’m hearing on the radio about people that have stayed in their homes, in the cold. I don’t like being cold as it is..my thermostat usually set to 72 degrees. When it dipped below 45 degrees and I was having trouble warming up at all, I knew I had to get out. It didn’t matter how many comforters I piled on. People staying in their homes haven’t been able to shower either. Speaking of coping mechanisms; showering each day has been one of my keys to not totally losing it. Let me say that I know that people have gone through worse things than this so I am not trying to bring the drama. I had been looking forward to actually trying to relax during the 2+ weeks off over the holidays. Now, I’m thinking that the relaxing part will come later in the vacation when I can get back onto my home. Something that makes it a little tougher for me is that I haven’t gotten a good night of sleep since Wednesday night. I really look forward to sleeping in my warm bed sometime soon. On the radio, they were just talking about people being in “zombie mode”…yeah. I know how that feels. I’ll be careful driving.

Another thing that is difficult is realizing that most people have just gone on with their lives. Hey, I’m sleepy. I can get ticked off about that kind of stuff.  I know the world doesn’t revolve around me and my lack of electricity. But it’s hard not to find it annoying that other people have the nerve to sleep in their warm homes and  then get in front of me at the grocery store…the nerve! When my power comes back on (I know, that optimism is kind of cute, isn’t it?), I’m going to try to find a way to help someone that doesn’t have electricity. See, look at that, I am assuming I won’t be the absolute last person to have power restored.

Anyway, the news is reporting the stories of what is going on. As much as I had intended to blog while I was enjoying my nice, comfy time off, my mind isn’t on much else and I’ll have a hard time coming up with interesting posts. So consider that this post is for anyone who cares or is wondering what it would actually feel like to have this happen to you. It stinks but I’m making do.

1. Brandon730 says:

Why haven’t you just gone on a little vacation rather than putting up with the storms and no elecicity?  I am sure it would have been better to just drive down the coast and find a vacancy somewhere on the beach.  Being spontanious is fun every now and then, especially when the circumstance is as yours.

I remember two years ago my city lost power for about two weeks it was one of the worst ice storms of the past few decades, it was hell.  I can completly sypathize with your situation.  I organized a gathering of friends and we all stayed in one house for like 4 days it was a blast.  Like a little camping trip in a house.  If you need any ideas of things to keep yourself occupied just let me know I got lists for ya.

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Because the power usually doesn’t go off here for long. Because I needed to take care of my house. Because I have a dog that does not get along with other pets. Because I did not budget for a vacation.

Anyplace that I would have wanted to drive to would have taken a couple days to get there and a couple days to get back. I really expected the power to have been back (my neighbors said the lingest we have been without power is 4 days and they have lived in their house 28 years).

Staying in hotels for vacation could have conceivably cost me a couple thousand dollars for any length of time. Considering I just dropped a big bundle on my kitchen remodel, it’s just not happening.

Thanks for the sympathy, Brandon : ) It is definitely appreciated. I’ll wreite more about what I am doing to get by after it’s all over.

3. JayG26 says:

Another way to look at it is that this will be your lowest electric bill for December Ever : ) .

Plus if you are staying at work during this does that mean that you really aren’t on vacation and get these days back (that’s what I would tell my HR people anyway).

Anyway, I am glad that you are getting along well and hope your lights come back on soon.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Hmm, yeah and all the expenses caused by the lack of power and the storm? I’d take the electric bill. This one is going to be costly…broken fence, ruined gutters, all the stuff I have had to buy. The generator I am going to buy when they aren’t in such short supply. It’s hard to see a "bright side" when you are in the midst of it. It just sucks and that’s that. That’s not to say that other people don’t have it worse.

5. --Lisa says:

Heather, I truly feel for you.  I was out of power for 10 days after Hurricane Wilma, and we are thrilled that it wasn’t 95 degrees outside – it was in the 80’s so you could actually sleep.  My hurricane (no power) kit has gotten signifantly larger after that little adventure.  I hope you guys get your power back very, very soon.  If I could send you a generator or a wood stove I would.

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Aww, thanks Lisa! My neighbors are borrowing a gnerator as of today. I saw them when I stopped by the house to pick up laundry supplies (thought the luandromat is a little too packed to venture in…hmmm). You know if the weather was warm, this would be a different situation entirely. At least then I could live in my home. Perhaps I’ll find a generator tomorrow. I suspect that many are being truckewd in from other places. We are exepcting another storm tomorrow…not nearly as bad, but lots of rain I guess.

I think the worst part is that I am cranky because I am tired. I’m sure gonna sleep when this is over!

7. mrscrooge says:

>I think the worst part is that I am cranky because I am tired

Yeah you hit the nail on the head there – I was getting so irritable. Well it was a combination of being tired and eating crappy food (and way too much alcohol:) ). Anyway my adventure came to an end late last nite, power came back on. Hang in there Hamilton! PS if you need anything like movies, etc to keep you occupied don’t hesitate to ask. Heck I think the Pizza Party is still a good idea 🙂

8. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah, I might be into that at some point. Right now, Iam so darned irritable, i almost can’t stand myself. I’m willing myself not to cry….no crying! : )

I just called the Home Depot and the very nice lady told me ot keep calling back to check on generator deliveries, starting Wednesday night.

The food is starting to get to me too! I’ve been living on left-over Thai food, which I normally like, but you know…not for every meal.

I did drink some wine the first 2 nights when I was sleeping at home thinking it would help get me to sleep. But at some point, when body temperature seriously becomes an issue, it’s not a good idea.

I think I am going to give the Laundromat a try again tonight. Whee!

9. --Lisa says:

Hi Heather, I hope you get a generator soon.  Mine was small and only ran the fridge and a string of christmas lights strung around the living room.  I am not sure how big a one you would need to run a small heater.  And absolutely do NOT try to run it in the house or garage.  Please.

I lived on Tasty Bite packaged Indian food and oatmeal for days.  Hot water was about all I could manage on the grill.  We are thinking about you down here. Feel free to cry – it does release the stress.

Good luck with the laundromat!

10. tlamothe says:

Heather,

At my last job, I did a course through the Red Cross on how to manage an emergency reception center. All the things you are talking about, irritability, wanting to cry, sleeplessness are all common responses to people affected by disaster.

Some things you can do to help; get lots of physical activity (take Jonas for a good long walk if you can), recognize and talk about your feelings and take time to do something you enjoy.

Hopefully a few more days and you’ll be back in your own warm bed.

Todd

11. s miller says:

Heather, sorry to hear your plight:). There’s a little something called a "Ho Bath" that I recommend to everyone living without hot water. It lessens the shock of the cold water. I’m sure everybody is familiar with this tactic. Anyway I hope your situation gets better.

12. Kevin Eshbach says:

With the power being out for this many days have people begun looting ala New Orleans style or are people just too busy trying to stay warm?

13. HeatherLeigh says:

Lisa- they are warning people about CO poisoning. Unfortunatley there have been a number of cases. I’d rather be cold than bring that kind of stuff in the house. Thanks for your thoughts! I’m back in the house now with electricity…doing laundry like a crazy person!

So I did get a good cry in last night. One of the last things my Tivo recorded befire the outage was the Oprah show with Will Smith and Chris Gardner (the person Smith portrays in The Pursuit of Happyness). Man, that made my little temporary situation look minor in comparison. I needed to get that out : )

tlamothe- that validation helped! See? I’m not crazy! That’s normal. I’ll tell you, for someone who is pretty steady most all the time (and a creature of routine) this was a tough one!

s miler – not sure I knew about that one, but I had access to a shower…never really appreciated the showers at work that much before! I actually had hot water through all of this since my water heater is gas (I won’t pretent to know how all of that stuff works). So the taking of thw shower wasn’t the difficult part, it was the getting out : ) Did I mention before how much I hate camping?

Kevin – there hasn’t really been looting. Many people are staying in their houses. I can’t imagine doing that unless I had zero other options (because sleeping in my office was much better!) but I di believe that is what a lot of people are dong. Also, it’s kind of news to me, but there are a lot of generators out there. I’m not saying that a significant % of people have them, just more than I expected. My neighbors got one hooked up yesterday just in time for the power to come back on.

I’m sure that there has been some opportunistic theft, but nothing on the level of what happened in N.O. No stores being looted or anything like that. The police are a visible presence. I saw one camped out at the high school yesterday. I’m sure they want to be seen.

On the news last night, I heard about a family’s generator being stolen right out of their backyard. Even the lady that owned it was saying that she had hoped it was someone who needed it for their kids versus someone trying to make $$.

Yeah. part of it is probably that people are too busy staying warm and without lights, it’s hard to tell who is home or not and I guess you wouldn’t want to accidently break into a house whose chilly resident had a shot gun or something.

14. --Lisa says:

We had the generator stealing issue here too, after Wilma.  People were desperate, and others were taking advantage.  They usually have a heavy metal frame and we had to start chaining ours to the fence, unfortunately.  It isn’t like you can hide you have one with all the noise they make!