Is it too late to give thanks?

Over the thanksgiving holiday, I noticed a bunch of blog posts about what people were giving thanks for; family and friends, etc. I decided not to subject you to my own saccharine post. We all have people that are important to us and without you knowing my people, what difference would it make to you? Plus, it’s not like me to talk about that stuff regardless of whether any one person is or is not the wind beneath my wings. You know what I’m saying?

But when it comes to stuff that I am thankful for, well, that is a different story. Granted, it’s a bit trivial. Anyway, I was talking to my friend Holly the other night and she said some words that have come out of my mouth in the exact same form: “the Crockpot is the best invention…”. I have said that so many times. I think I may have even said it here.

Anyway, there are a couple of things (little things, really) that have changed my life. Seriously…changed…my…life. I thought I would share my things. They aren’t things that I can’t live without, but things that I would really prefer not to live without:

1) Crock pot (seriously!)

2) Online bill paying (remember writing checks? They are those pieces of paper you would sign after you got a late notice)

3) Remote control (I could even live without the Tivo, but not the remote)

4) Anti-frizz serum

What are yours?

1. Diana says:

Washer and dryer! I remember when I first bought both. I went out to the garage everyday and hugged them, for months!

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Diana- good one! I remember my first apartment with a washer/dryer (it was my first one in Seatle) in the unit. What a difference not having to hunt for quarters!

3. Doug Burris says:

H2, you can live without TIVO? Are you nuts?  I figured it out. We record 25 hours of TV every week.  (Sad, I know) This does not include the regular recording of Dora, The Backyardigans, etc for the wee ones.  TIVO is the greatest thing ever.  It is the only way I can watch everything the network marketing departments and proctor and gamble tell me I need to watch…

Also thankful for:

BBQ – Duh…

The Treo – allows me to "work" and go to the zoo with the kids AT THE SAME TIME!

Unamed fruit logo MP3 player

Drive Thru Starbucks – Just got a second one here in the cowtown

Target

Wikipedia – how cool is this?

Microwave – because I need popcorn in 1 minute or someone is getting hurt. Not too mention oatmeal, s’mores, etc.

Two Serious Notes:

1.) The Internet/Blogs – Seriously, how cool an age do we live in to be able to seamlessly communicate with people around the globe, research virtually anything, vent, entertain, etc.

2.) Our Troops – No matter your stance on the war, we must appreciate the sacrifice our service men and women VOLUNTARILY make to defend freedom.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Doug- yeah, I might be nuts. I do LOVE the Tivo, I will admit. But not as much as I love not having to get up and change the channel.

As far as the TREO, I am just about to buy a smartphone. I have no idea what I am looking for so I am open to tips!

Drive throu SBUX is good. Though I’m now mostly a brew-at-home gal sine I’m working out of my third bedroom.

Target-yeah, yeah. Can you remember what it was like before Target? Where did we get stuff? I don’t think I could afford stuff back then but I am not clear on where people got it who could afford it.

As for Internet/blogs/wikipedia – don’t be shocked. I could live without them. Well, at least the blogs and wikipedia.

Here’s another one: fake sugar (aspartame, etc).

5. John says:

1. My George Forman Grill (when it’s clean).

2.  The little espresso stand on Avondale that knows I want a triple tall, non-fat , no-whip mocha as soon as they see my car.

3. The fact that no matter what others may think of me, my dog thinks my face tastes great.

4.  The smell of Kauai.

5. Ditto on the Troops.

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Oh, love the lean,mean, fat-reducing grilling machine!

That must be the espresso stand by the Shell station?

7. Val3000 says:

1) The smell of napalm in the morning.

8. Doug Burris says:

I love the TREO 650. I have heard the 700 is all that and a bag of chips.  This is my first smartphone experience and I have been happy. Although "the firm" did invest and get us all GoodLink for email mgmt and it made a world of difference.

I think service has a lot to do with it. I am a former Sprinter and one would think living in Kansas City (home of Sprint) we would get GREAT service…not so much. Coverage blows and I drop a lot of calls.

If given the choice, go with Verizon.

Best of luck.

9. Christine says:

1.  Instant messenger

2.  Cell phones with affordable plans

3.  A dishwasher.  I had no idea how much I loved them until I didn’t have one (still don’t).

10. HeatherLeigh says:

Doug- thanks for the advice. We get great discounts through Microsoft so that will help a lot and I can get off my dad’s family plan (I’m not really loving his comments on how many times I have used directory assistance…tiem for me to be on a separate plan regardless of what it costs). I may have to go with Cingular because I have an existing contract that I would otherwise have to buy out (not 100% sure), but I’ll definitely check out the TREO per your recommendation!

Christine- I’ve got a new dishwasher sitting in my garage (part of my remodel). Can’t wait to get that sucker in. Yeah. it’s tough not having one (or having a sub-par one in my case).

11. patblue says:

I love H2, I think I like that title for you better than HH. Hmmm I might have to change this after the 7 years of calling you HH.

Anyhoo, becaue I am busy and important, I missed this post, but have many things to be thankful for.

1.  My Toyota 4 Runner, after owning and repairing my past Jeep(s), also known as Heeps at my house, I am so thankful to have a reliable and effortless vehicle to own that is nearly paid for.

2.  Windows Media PC AND Comcast DVR (yes there are two at my house).  These devices have literally changed my TV addicted life, I can record 3 programs all at the same time.

3.  My Dog,  He gets me off the couch, fills every day of my life with entertainment.  The cats are cool and loved too, but they don’t give me the commitment, cuddles, or anything that Finn does.  I laugh more because of that dog than anything else.    Who knew that walking could be an adventure?

Side note – agree w/ Doug do Verizon. (period).

12. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah. some of my co-workers have been calling me h2 for a while. I thought maybe I mentioned that here? Or did Doug coincidentally come up with it as well?

Not sure if I have the option of Verizon!

13. tod hilton says:

On a serious note, I’m thankful for friends and family. They know who they are and why.

On a lighter side:

1. ReplayTV (TiVo for geeks) – 3 of them in my house. 🙂

2. Online bill pay – agree 100%!

3. Keurig by-the-cup coffee maker

4. Surround sound – I rarely go to theaters now.

Re: A smartphone. I love my new Cingular 3125! It’s a clam shell, which I prefer over the candy bar style, and gets great reception everywhere even compared to my Audiovox SMT5600. If you have Cingular service through work (or sign up for it) you can get this phone for $150. Actually, with the new CRIL plans you might be able to get it even cheaper. Sorry, but I disagree about Verizon. I was with them for 10 years and found their coverage abysmal (where I live and work) not too mention they didn’t start offering affordable smart phones until 2 years after Cingular. Ping me if you want more info. 🙂

14. HeatherLeigh says:

ALright! I was looking at the Cingular smartphone yesterday (online)…that may be the winner!

15. HeatherLeigh says:

Oh wait…it was a different Cingular one I was looking at…I want a qwerty keyboard. I think I wrote down what it was, but I can’t figure out where I put it.

16. HeatherLeigh says:

OK guys, I did get the 8525. The guy at the Cingular store (if you are local, it’s the one on Redmond Way…the center is called Redmond Creekside) was amazingly helpful. He told me the important things I needed to make a decision without making me feel stupid (trust me, this is a balancing act) and he seemed to be the guy who the others there asked the technical questions. Anyway, his name is Ben Eaton. So if you are in the market for a new phone, I’d recommend him. Also, he was super friendly and laughed at my dumb jokes. More on the phone, I guess, when I figure out what the heck I am doing.

17. vicki says:

1) My curling iron or straightener (you just gotta have options)

2) Wrinkle-free fabric (I don’t iron)

3) Microwaveable food (no pots or pans to clean and cooking, quite frankly, sux)

4) Cereal (again, not liking the cooking thing and I love cereal for breakfast)

5) CDRs – I love making my own library of driving music. When I put them on CD myself, I don’t have to skip through all the b-sides to hear the songs I want

6) My laptop!! BEST THING ever! And, I give thanks to Al Gore for the Internet of course! <please detect sarcasm here>

7) Online job applications

8) MS Office -without Word, how could I copy and paste a document and resume for that job?!

9) My pets – they love me even so I hate cooking and cleaning

10) My husband the soldier. He defends a lot more than your freedom! 😉 He’s my man. He does all the cooking and cleaning.

18. Doug Burris says:

Congrats on the SmartPhone!

Happy to say I came up with H2 in my own dorky way.

How’s the Brisket?

19. HeatherLeigh says:

Doug- at Microsoft, we love dorky : )

The briskett is scheduled to be delivered on the 14th. I’ll definitely raise a glass in your honor as it’s eaten. The thing that I find funny is they send you the fedex tracking stuff. For some reason, the concept of tracking my briskett as it makes it’s way across the country is a little funny.

20. Doug Burris says:

Woo Hoo – My brisket is in Boise!

Question. Do you by chance know David Anderson?  He was part of the MSF team for Visual Studio (now part of Patterns and practices) Recently jumped out of MS and went to Corbis as a Development Director…

I know, this is like asking "You grew up in Minneapolis? Do you know Bob Smith?"

Anyway, I used to work with David and he is my one and only connection to Microsoft (other than my blogging buddy).

21. HeatherLeigh says:

Doug-sorry, don’t know him. Most of my contacts are in the marketing space. I probably only know a small handful of tech folks personally and even then, a lot of what they say sounds like a language I don’t understand.