Its 7:30 AM and there’s jackhammering

It’s 7:30 AM with partially clear skies (somewhere in Seattle, because we have the part with the clouds here in Redmond). I’m well into my cup of coffee this morning and there’s jack hammering going on across the street from my house…some kind of underground utilities thing. Granted, it’s a work day. But still….7:30? Jackhammering? How is that OK?

1. Bad_Brad says:

(Sign)  People in Seattle (especially that work at Microsoft) are just clearly not morning people at all!  During my first weeks at Microsoft, I set up an 8:30 meeting to discuss what I thought was a pretty pressing issue.  You would have thought I asked my co-workers to sacrifice their first-born!

I also heard stories about how bad the parking situation is at our building.  Which I guess it is pretty bad, if you’re unable to make it into work before, say, 10:30 or so …

Before I came to Microsoft, I worked at a field location for another Seattle-based company.  I was on Central time, while my boss and many of my co-workers who I interacted with were on Pacific time.  I quickly learned not to call any of them before roughly noon my time because they likely would not be in the office yet.

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Hmm, I was online at 4:30 AM yesterday and 7 AM today…just for the record. Working from home can do that to you (oh, and trouble sleeping…I’m blaming my mint aromatherapy socks…don’t judge!). I’d say rush hour around campus is rughly 9:30 but I know plenty of people that are in quite early. I think it depends what kind of group you are in. Many of the developer groups seem to start the day later.

And as much as I can understand someone being disappointed that they have an 8 Am meeting, I can’t imagine them voicing displeasure. Seriously. Plenty of people have to get up early. We are lucky to have so much flexibility, that an occassional early morning meeting should be understandable.

Though I stand by my opinion that jack hammering at 7:30 Am is too early. My next door neighbor has a newborn. I bet she was thrilled.

They can start at 7:00. I’m not aware (nor have I ever seen) any local ordinance (at least for Redmond) that set this differently. You could always talk to the foreman to see if they can arrange the start schedule to do other, less noisy tasks first.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Nah, I was already up. I just found it strange to start that early about 20 feet from someone’s house.

5. Christine says:

I live in Boston and they used to start jackhammering outside my apartment at 6 am, then stop at 10, then begin again from about 2-6.  I think they did it just to stop traffic.  This went on for about a year.

But hey, in Boston, the unions can do whatever they want.

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Ah, I love Boston.

With what is going on on my street (we are purely residential), I would have thought that they would have left a little flyer on the door telling people what is going on. Only reason I know is that my next door neighbor, who is retired, knows everything. Yesterday, they accidentally hit a water line and my water was off for about an hour, which is not a big deal, except that I had no idea what was going on. Evidentally, it’s the city and they are doing something electrical and then Verizon is going to come in and install new fiber optic cable. Fortunately, I am not one of the hoeowners whose yards they are digging in….yet. Guess I would have liked a little "hey this is what’s going on on your street" or "hey, this is why there’s a tractor parked in front of your house" kind of notice.

7. Tim says:

Be glad it’s jackhammering and not gunshots?

8. HeatherLeigh says:

Tim – I guess that is one way to look at it!

9. Mr. T says:

Be glad they are not jackhammering through out the night, starting at 11pm till 6 am.  Yes that is right, 11pm till 6 am and they have permits given by the city…..sigh