In my element…

I try not to talk too much about my passion for college football here because the urge to edit out comments from haters would be just too great for me to bear.  We have an NCAA college football e-mail alias here where we all snark at each other (and you know I love that). When it comes to college football, everyone is right, their team is the best and they will never concede that their conference rival is the owner of one positive attribute. Politics and religion are less divisive. OK, I need to stop.

Anyway, college football is a part of my life. I can resist the urge to recap games like I did The Apprentice. But I won't hide from you the fact that I am magnetically drawn to the campus of USC once a year, if I am lucky, to watch my Trojans play. Last year it was homecoming. This time, it was the USC v. Notre Dame game; one of even greater consequence this year (for the benefit of the uninitiated).

If you just developed a nervous twitch because you went to UCLA and you wonder how you ever landed on this blog page, just consider it a study in sociology. Kind of like the sparrows returning to San Juan Capistrano. It's just that these sparrows like to watch some other sparrows make some Irish sparrows blow snot bubbles. Does it make sense now?

So I also have a little story. Anyone who talks to me about my college football rituals knows that Lee Corso drives me nuts. I bet a lot of you don't know who he is, but I guess you aren't getting up at 7 AM to watch college game day on ESPN, right? He's one of the three commentators on the show that is preview of the days games with some feature stuff thrown in. He's an older guy, used to coach some teams (I think Indiana and ???) and I refer to his game predictions as being ever so slightly better than flipping a coin. He doesn’t technically fall into the category of "homer", but the fact that there's no subconscious benefit to be derived from his wacky picks makes it ever so slightly more enraging. It's all in good fun, of course. So his refrain of "Cal is the best team in the Pac Ten" leads to some shouting at the TV that really confuses the heck out of my dog, and maybe my neighbors.

As you can tell from the previous post, I was in Arizona for Thanksgiving and we flew into LA on Saturday for the game, back on Sunday (and I flew home Monday...more on that later). Since I am one of those people that will accidentally tell you the same story three times unless you stop me (or unless I have story-telling deja vu part way through), here's how I explained my story to the NCAA football alias (just feel the need to acknowledge the cut and paste in case some bored person on the alias reads this and I sound as annoying as I do on the third re-telling of a story):

We pull into the valet parking at the Omni hotel and who was there getting into a car? Who? Lee Corso! I kid you not. I finally had the opportunity to unburden myself of the built-up angst over his only-slightly-better-than-a-coin-toss predictions. I said “Hey, Lee, you still think Cal is the best team in the Pac Ten?”.  He says “They are but they don’t play like it”. I say “You are only as good as you play” and then I tell him how much better I feel because it was more fun talking to him than yelling at my TV. Of all the people…Lee Corso…because you know how I feel about him. I hate myself for saying this but he is much better looking in person than he is on TV and he was gracious as hell.

Brent Muskberger (sp?) and Bob Davies were standing in front of the hotel too, but you know I made a bee-line for Lee. I had to.

Anyway, I don't expect you to understand the depths of my college football obsession or how I walked away from that conversation thinking "cool!". I'm not really interested in supposedly famous people. I simply had a friendly bone to pick with Mr. Corso. Anyway, it was fun. I look forward to yelling at him through my TV set next Saturday.

Before the game:

After:

1. Mike says:

My favorite Lee Corso moment this year was that even after my beloved UT Volunteers blew Cal out in the first game of the season, he STILL insisted that Cal would go on to win the National Championship.

2. Wine-Oh says:

Since my team (SU Orange) was out of it before the season even began (hint: need a new coach), I havent watched college football as intensley as Heather. I am however looking forward to some SU basketball coming up! GO ORANGE!

3. HeatherLeigh says:

Mike, that’s the thing about Lee; he’s committed to his mistakes. I remember that. There was something about that team he just loved. I still can’t figure out what it was other than that Ayoob was no linger QB (poor guy). I still can’t figur eout what Lee saw in them. I do feel bad for Cal fans though and I’m secretly hoping they get selected for the Rose Bowl. It seems that they are built up and then have their hopes dashed each year.

Wine-Oh, what? You don’t watch when they don’t play well? You aren’t as good at the self-loathing routine as I am. I watch my Trojans no matter what.

4. Steinkamp says:

Great post!  You handled yourself very well with Coach Corso and I can bond with you over yelling at the TV – I think I even through a dog toy at it when he was stating that Cal would play in  the national championship game with one loss.  Now – could you take care of SEC/ACC homer Craig James as well?   I was at homecoming and beating Oregon was great but I would have liked to have been there Saturday.  Beat the Bruins!  Fight on!  By the way – you look skinny!

5. HeatherLeigh says:

Aww. Steinkamp..thanks!  I lost the baby fat in my face. Right now I feel good about that but I’m sure that I’ll wish for it back later : )

Let me at Craig James.

Mark May is my favorite of the lot. There seems to be a brain under there that actually vetts what comes out of his mouth. He even handles Holtz with the appropriate amount of respect and disbelief. Gotta love May Day.

Herbstreit is even growing on me though I had to consider that his wanting to keep Michigan out of the BCS championship game did smack of a tiny bit of OSU homerism. At the same time, I don’t want to see that game again either. Kirk handles Corso well.

I would love to see us beat OSU in the championship game and shut a lot of people up. Doubters beware.

We are SC!

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Let me at Craig James.

We are SC!

7. Patrick says:

As much as I like reading your blog, I don’t think SC could beat Michigan either!

Of course my beloved Wisconsin (11-1!!!) is out of the BCS as well.

Big Ten!  I think SC – OSU will be a good game, SC just has too much NFL-level talent, but I think OSU will pull it out.

8. HeatherLeigh says:

We’ll see!

9. Wine-Oh says:

I tried to. I really did. I think even they gave up after a while. New administration brought alot of changes so it will be eons before SU football goes back to the days of yester year when they could actually play.

10. I may be the sexiest man alive(!) but you are right up there on the sexiest female list 🙂

I think you should change your thumbnail picture though… it really doesn’t do you justice.

Best-

GC

11. HeatherLeigh says:

Wine-Oh, hang in there. We had a real rough spell during the 90s. Those things have a way of turning around with a good coach and some decent recruiting. The Orange shall rise again : )

George Clooney- are you sweet? I really loved you on Facts of Life, but ER and Oceans Eleven? What was that stuff? I kid. Anyway, whomever you really are, thanks for making my day! I actually have to agree with you that the thumbnail isn’t the best. I am going to get some new (professional) headshots taken at some point.

12. Wine-Oh says:

With the "cameo" by George Clooney on heathers blog, does this mean there will be other surprise celeb cameos? I have heard of some ways to increase viewership, but having George Clooney leave comments is a bit over the top. Heather can now put a "As read by George Clooney" logo on the mast head.

13. HeatherLeigh says:

Haha…I may do that. Excuse me while I daydream about George Clooney for a few moments. Yowza.

14. Pablo says:

I kinda like Corso.  He’s unique.  Sure, sometimes I have no idea how he thought up his analysis, but that’s part of the fun.  Or maybe it’s because I think he looks just like Mel Brooks.

15. HeatherLeigh says:

Pablo-that’s generous of you to refer to it as analysis. But I am with you on Corso. I like him more now after having met him. He’s still usually wrong. I hadn’t thought about Mel Brooks, but you are right.

16. RJD says:

Corso’s picks are mystifying.  No idea where he comes up with some of them.  Does he watch the same games we do?

BTW–not like I thought you needed the workout program, but you look great.  Not to mention the added bonus of being a gal who can appreciate a close game after the two minute warning.

Roll Tide!

17. HeatherLeigh says:

OK, before anyone asks, yeah, I am disappointed. But went into this year thinking it was a rebuilding year and hoping that we could get to the Rose Bowl and that is where we are going. I had predicted 2 losses this year, but not to the 2 teams we lost to. With all our young players, we are going to be great next year.

Skip to main content