One more entry in the category "truth is stranger than fiction"

I got an mass e-mail yesterday from Alaska Airlines. I guess I get these because I have a frequent flyer card. Anyway, the subject line of the e-mail is “Tell us Your Favorite Alaska Airlines Story” and links to this website.

Hmm, where do I start? And do I really have to tell the story again? Maybe I’m not the best person to ask.

It’s not even ironic, just funny and sloppy marketing.

1. DanF says:

Sorry to point out the obvious, but I love that the URL for the site looks like "Ass Stories" at first glance. Very funny.

2. HeatherLeigh says:

DanF-that is really funny because my story would apply in that case!

3. Tim says:

Maybe you need to take it literally. That’s probably not your FAVORITE story. What about the time they gave you free drinks because they mixed up your seat? That’s probably your favorite story. Okay, enough covering, sloppy marketing.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Maybe, but the part where they gave me a free ticket is part of the whole story I linked to. Besides that, I can’t think of a happy story. Nothing bad either, but nothing stands out as a "great story".

5. Wine-Oh says:

Its an interesting promotion. Usually signals some damage control. Wish United followed in Alaska airlines footsteps. They wont even acknowledge the fact the flight I was on 2 weeks ago made an emergency landing and we were promised free tickets. When I asked and followed up all I got was "we dont know what you are talking about?" I finally got $125 out of them.

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah, I wonder how heavily Alaska Airlines is moderating the stories. Also, they were all really well written. I’m not suggesting that they aren’t authentic, just that I’d like to see some typos and someone ticked off about a bad flight to make me think it’s really authentic. Man, maybe I have been blogging too long (that thought has occurred tome more than once).

7. patblue says:

I got that same email and thought..ok I will tell you a story, but what will I have the chance to win (nothing).  Then I thought…I really don’t have a favorite Alaksa Air story either.  I do however have a favorite pet peeve that you may like.  I watched United 93 this weekend (don’t do it, the movie causes much angst and emotion).  I digress,  in the movie the air traffic controller referred to a flight as ‘ALASKAN AIR’.  I have a friend that also says ‘I just love to fly on ALASKAN AIRLINES’…  it’s a lot like  the words moist or irregardless, send shivers right up my spine.  Don’t get me started w/ NordstromS and SafewayS.

8. HeatherLeigh says:

haha! I love it when PatBlue has a peeve! That reminds me of one I have been meaning to blog about.

9. Ben R Alonso says:

I don’t get it. How was it you weren’t able to score major benefits from the episode. My approach, yes I need this fixed. And yes, you also need to make up for it BIG TIME!

People will do as little as possible to help you until you remind them you can cause inconvenience as well. I guess it’s just a matter of telling people what you expect as compensation. I’ve used that approach and even though I don’t get everything I want. It is a lot more than just waiting for them to come forward with an offer.

Just a thought. I’m catching up; I was busy with other things.

10. HeatherLeigh says:

Ben R Alonso- I’m not sure I understand the question. Are you asking in regard to the original situation? We can’t go back in time, but I’m not sure I know what price you would put on an invasion of privacy or sexual harassment (which is a little more than an "inconvenience", don’t you think?). It’s not a free airline ticket, that is for sure. I’m glad they did something but I would have preferred not to have had the situation happen in the first place.

This post was about the ridiculousness of the mass email as it relates to my situation. Let’s say that they have flagged frequent flyer accounts with "issues" (which wouldn’t be hard with some kind of marketing database), then they could decide not to send out the "stories" e-mail to the people with those accounts. It’s pretty simple.

Anyway, if you are saying that a free ticket should make up for what happened and I somehow came out on the better end of the deal, that is not the case. Frankly, I’m still totally skeeved out by it. Ask some female relatives how they would feel if they found out some guy was peeping in their window but left them a little gift on the window sill. Still creepy? Oh yeah!

Anyway, I’m not going to defend why this was upsetting to me. I was really just bringing it up because of the irony of the e-mail.