The human body is unbelievable

Friday, I went to the Bodies Exhibition in New York (at South Street Seaport). Before you click on the link, let me tell you that you are going to see the human body in all it’s glory and though I was unoffended, it may gross some people out and it could freak the kids out a bit (think about the human body without skin).

Scientists were able to preserve real humans bodies through some kind of process that allows them to display the bodies in forms very similar to living humans. The exhibit was fascinating and really gives you an appreciation for the body and it’s functions. The exhibit explores the different systems in the body (skeletal, muscular, nervous, etc.). If you ever wanted to know what your body looks like on the inside, this is your chance to see it. It was simply amazing.

The exhibit is going to be in Seattle at the end of the month (it appears that there are several exhibits as the dates in different locations overlap). If you have a chance to see this, definitely do! And if you have kids that really like science, bring them too (and may I recommend that you eat lunch *after* you see the exhibition…it wasn’t too bad but I’d wished I’d gone vegetarian).

1. BlakeHandler says:

I couldn’t agree more — we’ve had this here in Los Angeles . . . both my daughter’s schools went to the exhibition two years in  a row. A must see for all (but eat your lunch later! ha ha)

2. Tim says:

Like Blake I saw it in Los Angeles, it was a real eye-opener for my wife who owns a Pilates studio. It was fascinating for me, too, but after a couple hours I really did crave seeing a human with its skin back on.

3. Todd says:

Saw it a couple of years ago in Los Angeles … actually found it a bit discomforting.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Blake-very progressive for the schools to go. Good for them.

Tim- I told my trainer (who likes to be referred to as "El Dibalo"…he wears the nametag) that it was great and he’s planning on going. If someone is in the fitness industry, it absolutely makes sense to go.

Todd-how so? I suspect that some people would rather not know/see. In which case, I’d definitely say don’t go. But if you can take it, it is fascinating.

5. Todd says:

Indeed — it wasn’t that it was too gross, I just didn’t enjoy looking at dead bodies that much. Guess I’m in the minority.

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Todd- maybe not. I did find myself incredibly focused on the fact that the bodies were people who had lives and the curiosity around who they were. Also, how did they opt in? I’d say it was unnerving…we can probably agree n that ; )