Subscription only articles for free with Congoo

So I found this in RealSimple magazine. Congoo has something called a NetPass (warning before you click: their site has audio). It’s a toolbar that you can download that will give you access to articles that you usually have to buy a subscription for.

It’s actually pretty brilliant. The publications are willing to give you access to a limited number of articles because they want to engage your interest in the hopes that you will sign up in the future.

I know I’ve been frustrated when I want to access something and the publisher wants money (which is more than I am willing to pay for a single article).

Just thought I’d share.

1. Simone says:

Heather, people expect everything everything on the web to be free of charge. I have had numerous tech clients go out of business because of this mindset. The best and only way to combat this are free product trials. Try not to be part of the problem- purchase the service and you’ll likely enjoy it all the more.

Imagine if someone downloaded a trial copy of Windows and decided to crack it rather than purchase it. How would that make you feel?

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Congoo is in partnership with the publishers. It’s not piracy, it’s a business arrangement where the publishers get to market their content. I’m not part of "the problem", I’m just blogging about an innovative business model.

3. Darby Ward says:

This congoo is actually a great idea.  Who has the money to subscribe to hundreds of these publishers?  This way you get some access and for the folks that want to subscribe for unlimited access, they can.

4. Bhaskar says:

I think free subscription for few issues is good to both parties.And it really helps the reader to assess the quality of content and subscribe if one feels it subscribable ..

5. RecruiterGuy says:

I couldn’t agree more, Bhaskar.  I have always been frustrated when something like this wasn’t offered or had to be "negotiated."

Publishers win.  Consumers win.

Nice find, Heather.

6. HeatherLeigh says:

My ridiculous magazine habit comes in handy! Now there’s a new feature for the blog: "what I learned in magazines this week"…Hah!

7. Jim Durbin says:

I liked the idea behind Congoo, but shortly after installation, my Firefox browser started freezing and crashing on a regular basis.  I deleted Congoo, and the problems went away.

The NetPass articles alson don’t get you into the good stuff.  It’s almost worth it to pay the $20 a month or $1 per article at other places.

The problem is not Congoo – the problem is the information available that is free doesn’t really help you any more than a reading the top 5 pages on search engines would do.

As for the crashes – I was using Firefox on a Mac, but was still surprised to see it happen.

8. HeatherLeigh says:

Jim-good feedback. Who offers the articles for $1? I might be interested in checking that out.

As for Firefox on a Mac, it sounds like Samuel L Jackson’s next low-budget release. : )

9. There is actually a lot of content you can get with this netpass that you cannot get anywhere else without paying.  If you read analyst reports from morningstar you know that you CANNOT get them if you are not a subscriber.  Try to access this Morningstar report on News Corporation:

Now if you have that Netpass….you get in.

I will never pay for content so for me this is cool.