Best Movie Marketing Ever

Snakes on a Plane

I mean, I’m not going to see it, but you definitely should.

1. Jaz says:

What! Why?  you have to see this film, it’s going to be the most amazing film ever.

Samuel L Jackson and some snakes on a plane.  What could possibly be wrong about this movie?

I wonder though, if Gates and Ballmer will parody this film at one of your big meetings you have each year ala da vinci code.

Go see it. otherwise i’ll have to fly all the way there (hopefully with no snakes on board) and drag you to the cinema.

2. Simone says:

This is an interesting case. They were obviously in a state of duress months ago when they were going to rename this movie "Flight 189", Sam Jackson (I’ve met him twice, a very sweet man) demanded they retain the original title because he understood the campiness. What to do when faced with a hurdle of a movie being so bad? Rather than starve it’s marketing budget and let it sink to the bottom of the barrel, they instead saw the public’s reaction to the film’s silliness. They leapt at this and went full out. The kicker is that the film industry moves so fast that marketing is pushed out the door quickly. This is effective, high energy marketing at its finest. This film has great viral energy.

What are your thoughts Heather?

3. HeatherLeigh says:

Jaz- the only thing that scares me more than flying is snakes. I don’t think I can handle it ; )

4. davej says:

I’m with Jaz. I would like to see a goofy Steve Ballmer jump around on stage covered in rubber snakes a la a Pentecostal Holiness Church that engages in snake handling. He def jiggled his way into my heart with his "developers x 4" performance from a few years ago.

5. Lauren Smith says:

It’s a good thing snakes don’t have feet, or that’d be one more thing they’d have to worry about.

(Gel shoe inserts!!!)

I’m waiting for the next movie, "Jello on a Plane". And there ain’t a got-d**n thing you can do about it!

6. HeatherLeigh says:

davej- sounds, um, interesting ; ) i agree about the "developers, developers, developers, developers" thing. We love us some developers.

Lauren- snakes with gel inserts? Dude!

7. Tim says:

I guess When Life Gives You Snakes…

Wait, maybe it was something else.

8. HeatherLeigh says:

Tim, gross ; ) Clearly Samuel L Jackson is not seeing the bright side of MFing snakes on an MFing plane ; )

9. Jeremy says:

Is it really the best marketing ever if no one went to see the movie?

10. HeatherLeigh says:

Possibly…if the movie stinks and the reason anyone went to see it is because of the marketing. And the marketing was cheap. Yep, still qualifies as brilliant marketing in my book.