Northwestern heatwave

It’s all over the news. While the rest of the country was boiling, we enjoyed temperatures in the mid 70s and now we are getting ours. For us, in the Puget Sound region, anything in the 80s or above is significant. I think we are getting into the 90s this weekend. At least it will be dry (our heat waves come from troughs over land, not sea…up from the south…nice and dry).

While in other parts of the country, you can escape the heat by ducking into your A/C, most homes here don’t have it. Fifty one weeks out of the year you don’t need it. That other week, you tend to get through with fans. No more of that for me.

I broke down today and bought a room air conditioner. No, it’s not pretty. But it was cheap and easy to install (well, I didn’t follow the instructions exactly, but it’s wedged in there real good). I keep ducking into my bedroom to see how it feels. Quite nice! Though I think I might need to wear ear plugs to bed.

I can deal with all kinds of heat during the day, when I am moving around (right now I am drinking crystal light with extra lemon to stave off pontoon feet). But at night, I find it hard to sleep in the heat.

I often say, there’s no pretty in the heat. Don’t hate me for being a weather wimp.

1. Mark Howell says:

Coming from the Southeast (Alabama), this is easy!

2. OC_Runner says:

Even here in Phoenix we are experiencing record heat. It should be around 108-110 but we are supposed to get 114-116 today. At night it has been cooling to a balmy 91-93 degrees.

3. HeatherLeigh says:

Mark- yeah, we are wimps!

OC_Runner- that thing they say about the dry heat is true though. But 114-116? That is crazy!

4. OC_Runner says:

The threshold for calling it warm or hot here is around 110, so yes, it is hot today!

Although 116 sounds hot (and you really notice it getting into your car after a day at work when you were too late to get a covered parking spot), our record is actually 122 back in June, 1990.

You expect it to be hot during the day, but it is the 103 at 10:00 PM when you have to take the trash can out to the curb that you really feel it.

But ask me again in February when it is 75 here and who-knows-minus-what elsewhere 🙂

5. HeatherLeigh says:

Right…good point. I’m all whiny and it’s just 89 degrees in here. And it gets hotter around 5PM.

6. Lauren Smith says:

I’m heading back to Tokyo tomorrow and dreading it. While it’s uncomfortably warm here, it’s unbearably hot and humid there.

It’s Nature’s little joke to dump rainstorms on Tokyo while keeping it a balmy 110 degrees.

See you all at the Mariners game tonight!

7. Lauren Smith says:

Sleep well with the A/C noise?

Sleep well with Jamie Moyer giving up like 30 HRs in the first 3 innings??

It did cool off once my and my compatriots decided to move from the nosebleed seats (s309, r24, 21/22) to the bleachers. Then when the season ticket holders left during the 7th inning, we scored some pretty nice seats down by the Boston dugout.

Thank god for A/C in the car.

8. HeatherLeigh says:

Lauren-baseball keep me up at night? What am I, a dude? ; ) College football is another story.