Want to add more marketing goodness to your day?

MarketingSherpa is holding it’s blog awards again. And while I couldn’t be bothered to vote (having an opinion can be exhausting), I reviewed their nominees and added some to my blog reader. It’s an interesting list (and proof that blog traffic does not equate to value as some of those blogs have very few readers, yet are interesting none the less).

I also found out a few things about myself:

When I created a folder for “marketing blogs” in my blog reader, it occurred to me that I should create another folder for blogs I should be ashamed to read. Who knew Brittney Spears could be so entertaining?

1. Paul Pajo says:

"I get some delight in my policy not to subscribe to any blogs that ask for my vote. That’s democracy in action."

wow. good rule. kind of simplifies things for you, doesn’t it? and … britney spears … she just gets entertaining by the day (especially when she drives … hehehe)

2. tod hilton says:

Britney Spears’ blog?  Talk about a guilty pleasure…kind of like how I used to watch Party of 5.  I try not to talk about it too much though.  :-

3. Heather, Harry Joiner at Marketing Headhunter asked for readers’ votes and he’s a nice guy with a good blog. So, your policy, to some extent, is like shooting yourself in the foot.

4. --Lisa says:

That’s funny… I have a couple of blogs on del.icio.us as "not shared" for the same reason. 🙂

5. HeatherLeigh says:

Paul, yep. It just turns me off a blog when they ask for votes. Like campaigning for a popularity contest.

tod-really? Party of 5? Ahh, I’m just teasing. It’s OK. I won’t tell anyone.

Lisa, I’m sure we all have them. The first step is admitting you have a problem ; ) I still have the Britney interview on my Tivo.

6. so uh… how do you usually pick your presidential candidates?

(!!!!vote SEL as most excellent SEM BLOG!!!)

7. HeatherLeigh says:

There are marketing bloggers running for president?

8. I will be running for president in 2008.

plus: http://www.blogforamerica.com/

9. HeatherLeigh says:

Only one shameless link drop per reader please

10. hey! it’s not my fault! your comments hyperlink automatically!

I might be a lowly d-list blogger scrounging in the gutters of my blog – and in marktd (dot) com, poor besmirched-by-me marktd – for a vote of approval from the mainstream of marketing thought, but I would  *never* stoop to actually adding an HREF in someone’s blog comments.

OK I ADMIT IT I WOULD!!!

I’m HONGRY for that MarketingSherpa award! I want it bad!

If that turns you off, then maybe we should just take a little time off, give each other some space.  Maybe in time we can be friends.

In the mean time here’s a link to Brittney Spears’ personal blog:

(omitted by board of blog decency)

and here’s a link to ALL the marketing bloggers who’ve never once shilled for themselves about anything:

(invalid request – no results found)

(…when I run for president in 2008 I’ll see if I can do something about people like me 😉

11. HeatherLeigh says:

haha…good use of the quasi-word "Hongry". If nothing else, you are funny. I just don’t like asking for votes..people should vote because they like the blog, not because someone asked them to. Just a personal preference and probably the reason why i don’t win anything. That and the fact that I’m not Hongry.

As for taking time off, I hope you are joking! You just visit my blog a few times and then break up with me so heartlessly? You’re toxic, I’m slipping under.

12. …sigh.

I know what you’re talking about actually.

Snap (one of Bill Gross’s companies – he invented the web’s *other* major turn off – paid search) had a contest where they incented – with cash – people to give them suggestions on how to market their search engine.

That’s right, they paid cash to the submission that got the most votes (plus the site that referred the person with the most votes, which encouraged the contest’s viral spread).

I interviewed the guy who did the campaign (link available upon request) and he admited that his favorite idea only got 2 votes, compared to the most popular, which actually got 700 or so.

It troubled me to some extent that the best ideas weren’t going to win.

Snap’s still going to implement only the *best* ideas of course, as opposed to the ideas that got the most votes, and in the end Snap benefited from all the links and exposure, which is worth far more than the $20k reward.

Just as MarketingSherpa’s benfiting from all the "vote for SEL" links on my blog. Think of the brand value alone, to have THEIR name on Search Engine Lowdow… My GOD they should be paying ME!

Ahem… anyways, these are marketing blogs in the running here, and winning will result in fanfare, popularity and industry attention which will likely result in more cash-a-liciousness for the winner.

I don’t own the company I blog for, MarketSmart Interactive (link available upon request), and I’m not rewarded financially based on how much my blog is visited.

For me it’s definitely a prestige thing. I’m hungry for industry recognition/attention.

There were over 1,100 blogs in the contestant pool… I’m PROUD of the fact that I made it in.

Those bloggers who aren’t asking for votes probably don’t care that they’ve been nominated, which is kind of a turn off to *me*.

But if they’ve got valuable, interesting, unique thoughts on their blog I will look past this distasteful display and subscribe to their feeds anyways 😉

13. HeatherLeigh says:

Hmm, none of which explains why I wasn’t nominated. Rats!

14. Harry Joiner says:

How on EARTH did I miss this string?  This is hilarious!  Thanks goodness for late nights and cold beer!

15. HeatherLeigh says:

Harry, now we know how you spend your evenings!

Garrett and I are going to take our show on the road. Right Garrett?