I found some extra time in my work day

While everyone else is talking about this, I’m working.

I can’t be the only one that doesn’t understand the allure. I just can’t get into it.

1. Michael says:

Heather, you are really missing out.  Next season, watch from the beginning.  Trust me, you’ll be hooked.

I should know…I stood with 15,000 others at 6AM last August to try out :-)…

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Michael-I tried that. Frankly, I found the audition episodes the most annoying. In general, if I want to be sung to, I turn on the radio or digital music player and pick my music. Bad singing makes me change the channel. It was novel the first time but I’ll never watch it again.

3. Michael says:

I agree with you on some level.  But for me, it’s not about being sung to.  It’s more like "singing with"…the beauty of shows like Idol are that you could, on your best day, imagine yourself up there.  That’s why 100,000 people try out and 30 million watch!

Plus, Simon is an incredible character (yes, I’ll admit, it’s appropriate to call him a character).

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Yep, just a  matter of opinion. I certainly have some questionable TV viewing habits myself. They just don’t include American Idol. I can’t help it but I find the whole Simon/Ryan/Paula dynamic really annoying….almost insulting.

5. Mel says:

Reality TV for the most part is not my thing, except for AI.

People tune in for many reasons… some love Simon’s comments… some enjoy watching the singers grow & in a sense, fullfill their destiny to go from rags to riches… some simply want to play judge and predict winners… and some just enjoy music so anything with music is magetic…

I’ll admit I tivo’d yesterdays show and watched it when I got home at 1 in the morning when I really should have been sleeping… especially since I had a 8am meeting. Sleep or watch Taylor Hicks & crew perform on recently purchased plasma? hmmm… put that plasma to work… i have the rest of my life to sleep 😀

~ mel

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Mel- I watch college football for all those reasons ; )

I met a friend at the gym yesterday and we watch the last 15 minutes after we grabbed dinner (our gym has a bistro with a bar…don’t worry, I don’t imbibe after working out). i really only watched because he cared.

7. Dennis Smith says:

H ~ I’m with you.  I watched exactly 30 min’s of the final episode (my only Idol time of the year).  My 12 year old daughter really wanted to see the finale, so we caved.

Nope, I just don’t get it.  And, the segments of the show where they focus on the people who can’t carry a tune but think they’re all that…..well, it seems far too fake to catch my interest.

8. HeatherLeigh says:

Dennis-yeah, and it makes my ears bleed. Well, not really but it feels like they are bleeding. I think it’s the new millenium version of the Gong Show. Where’s Chuck Barris when you need him?

9. Jason says:

I watched the first season, but never really got into the second season.  There are too many shows that are far better on Tuesday night.  Trust me people…Veronica Mars, The Unit, Scrubs and The Shield are much better.  And they all air on Tuesday night.

10. HeatherLeigh says:

You know, I’ve never watched any of those but have heard all are good. I have to admit that since I record all my shows, I really am not near as aware of what night each airs (with the exception of Sunday nights).

Right now, my favorite shows are Cold Case (which I think is underrated…love it!), Rescue Me (Dennis Leary….love to hate him) and I’m looking forward to the next editions of Survivor and Rock Star.

Also, much has been discussed between my mother and me with regard to The Dog Whisperer, which she had to call me about mid-viewing- Marathon. Not to share too much, but did you see Nate Berkus’ embarassing admission about his dogs on Oprah? We have some of that action going on in my house. Jonas is only agressive to other dogs but when people come in the house, he’s relentless in his annoying, cold-nosed quest for attention. I get him to leave me alone by stopping eye contact with him but it’s hard to tell a guest in my house to do that. And he goes nuts when he sees people or animals outside my house. Anyway, there will be some dog whispering happening in the near future and though I can’t find it on TV, I may be buying the DVDs so I can see what everyone’s been talking about. I hear Ceasar’s pretty great.