So Mark Jen is fired from google for blogging about confidential financial info (that was the reason they gave). Blogs have no editorial process.

Someone accidentally posts google’s financial forecast, you know the kind they won’t release publicly because of their “no guidance” policy, on their company website. Corporate websites do have editorial processes (OK, if you are going to argue that they don’t, let’s talk about big companies with lots of money….I used to recruit for microsoft.com…you don’t just pop stuff up there). My question is whether someone is in trouble and whether there’s some accountability for consistency in handling the “release of confidential financial data”. I’m not calling for anyone’s head, just asking.

1. Hubert says:

Do you really think it was accidental? Google likes to show themselves as "independent innovators", free-spirits with no company guidance, working on private, cool projects. There is no business model in that of course, and no company can work this way. So I think most of such "leaks" have some purpose.

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Hmm, Hubert, that’s a good point. It would be risky if the public found out, or even felt, that it was orchestrated. It would go against their "don’t be evil" thing.

3. Dudley says:

You’re just being modest.  This is clearly an example of one evil Borg empire pilfering marketing ideas from another.  Google was just inspired by the Origami marketing effort, and figured "WTF?  Our stock has to tank sometime, and this is as good a way as any to bring it down to reality.  I mean, come on, how valuable can a stock that doesn’t pay a dividend be?"  MS gets accused of pilfering ideas from others all the time, so it’s refreshing to finally see it inspire one.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

haha…Dudley. Now that’s an interesting theory. You’re just trying to push my buttons by using "evil" (to refer to a company) and Borg (capitalized?) in the same sentence. You better be careful of I’ll open a can of evil on you ; )

5. Dudley says:

Yeah, you and what Borg army?

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Me and the Billg mini me borg army. You didn’t know about it?

7. Dudley says:

An army of mini yous?  My ankles are trembling!

8. HeatherLeigh says:

not mes, bills. Mini bill borgs. Are you kidding me, they don’t want a bunch of mini *me* Heathers around here. Even I would find that annoying. Wherever I go, there I am.

9. Dudley says:

Oh, that one.  The Google guys say that’s nothing to worry about.

10. Mark Jen says:

As far as whether someone got fired for the information leak, I’m sure it depends on who it was. If it was some administrative assistant or contractor, they were shown the door immediately 😉

I wasn’t fired for posting confidential financial information (I didn’t have any confidential financial information to post). I was fired for not following the unspoken rules of the Google culture 🙂

11. HeatherLeigh says:

Hey Mark, good to hear it straight from you. And yes, I understand the "unspoken" reason. I think it differs from the official reason that was given by google, though, right?

12. Tim says:

It’s such a good thing I have no idea what my company finances look like.

13. JoshyCA says:

Do any one of you have any idea about what was the stock market impacts due to this.

14. HeatherLeigh says:

JoshyCA- I bet Mark knows. And I bet the stock market wasn’t impacted. Just a guess. The question is whether the real concern was sharing financial info or whether it was a new employee complaining about their company’s benes, etc. I think it’s interesting but not a major business event. Just my take.