Fear in the heart of one sedentary blogger

Today is my first official session with my personal trainer. I’m scared. He referred to me as “sedentary” and then told me it was his job not to lie to me. That’s when I knew that he was the personal trainer for me. I suspect that his willingness to humor my whole “I hate exercise…please don’t hurt me” routine is going to end today at noon.

I’m one of those folks who likes to have control of certain aspects of their life, like health. Eating healthy isn’t a problem for me. But it’s when that control aspect collides with inertia and pain avoidance that I run into problems. Thing is, I’m out of excuses. I want to feel great. And also, I want to look like Madonna.

1. anon says:

maybe you will inspire me to go to the gym and exercise.

being in great physical shape is potentially overrated.

been there and done that.  it might be nice to be content and happy and somewhat secure in life.

2. --Lisa says:

Heather, we are so in the same boat.  I joined a gym last week (finally) and the first workout with a trainer was a huge eyeopener as to what shape I’d let myself get into.

3. HeatherLeigh says:

anon-I’ve never been there but I hope to some day! Hoping it also helps my moods (not they they are bad but my mood elevates after exercise) and insomnia.

Lisa- good! Let’s encourage each other! I’m SURE I’m about to experience a similar eyeopener! Yikes!

4. Patblue says:

I am glad you got someone who doesn’t lie.  You see I lie all the time about my allergies to excercise, and personal trainers don’t believe it.  I wouldn’t know what to do if I ran out of excuses like you have…I think I will make busy making more up just in case.

5. HeatherLeigh says:

Patblue-that sounds like a good plan. I couldn’t even use the "takes too much time away from work" excuse because it really doesn’t when I work from home. Also, I actually found some anti-excuses like the fact that I can pick up lunch there so I don’t have to worry about what to make at home.

Well, anyway, I survived and it wasn’t as bad as I thought. I need to go out and buy a heart rate monitor and gloves and you know how much I love the shopping. Added bonus, when you tell James you hate him, he laughs at you and says "good!"…where else in life is that OK to an actual person (that’s a rhetorical question, kids)?

I feel kind of proud of myself and motivated to do it again. This is all very, very wrong.

6. Mark Tookey says:

Heather,

Congratulations! At least the rest of can now say that we know someone who exercises and as everyone knows, that’s almost the same as actually doing the exercise yourself!

Cheers,

Mark

7. HeatherLeigh says:

Mark, hahah….I’ve done it once. Not sure I qualify as someone "who exercises" quite yet. But I have paid for 12 personal training sessions up front fi that means anything.

8. Tim says:

As long as you don’t act like Madonna, you’re okay. I’ve known a few people who’ve worked her out and…. eeeeyyyyaaaahhhh.

Congrats to you, though! It won’t feel like torture after 4 or 5 times.

You may even get to like it.

9. Brad says:

Do yourself a favor – at the start of a session, don’t complain about the session before. If I do that, my trainer ‘cranks it up a notch’!

10. David.Wang says:

Hmm… I had been contemplating sessions with a personal trainer. I’m curious to see how you progress… Waiting to hear about session #2, #3…

I have no problems motivating myself to go to gym every other day in the late evenings when it isn’t so packed, and I can leisurely do my aerobic jogging and free weights routine. For me, it’s the amount of people at Pro Club that matters; I hate crowds, and being there at peak-time completely changes my enjoyment and motivation.

//David

11. Kristen says:

About 4 years ago after college I reached my highest weight, 145.  At 5’7" that is not terrible but I didn’t like the frumpiness that I felt.  I started a simple workout that included power walking and a decent diet, I love food so this was rough for me.  4 years later, I now do sprint and half triathlons and weigh 115 during the winter and about 110 during the summer.  My goal is to do the Hawaii Ironman triathlon some day.  I have started doing weight training because my weight is a bit on the low side so I now spend even more time working out.

The upside is that I only need about 4 hours of sleep a night and ready for this I can eat just about anything I want.   Now I feel weird when I don’t workout, I am one of those people that go on vacation and use the gym in the hotel or go for a run.

I wish you the best of luck and just remember to start slow.  One of the reasons people tend to quit workout routines is the soreness they feel because that started too quickly.

12. Would this be the early-80s Madonna, with big hair, bangles and fishnet gloves, late-80s Madonna with the cone bra, 90s Madonna with the low-ride jeans painted on (think American Pie remake), or the 00s Disco Madonna in the hot pants (be careful–this one currently has a hernia from working out too hard)?  And, will your mom send pictures?

13. HeatherLeigh says:

Tim-no, I’m not planning on donning a fake Brit accent either. I just think her toned but not skinny shape is admirable. And  hope to get to like the workouts!

Brad-I already told him that I was only planning to whine through the first couple of sessions. I think once I feel a little less self-conscious doing some of the strength training, I’ll mentally chill out a little bit. I also felt it was only fair to warn him about the blog (at the very least he can go home and show his wife the kind of crazy people he has to deal with at work) since pretty much anything is blog fodder.

David- I was there at 3 PM and it was not crowded at all. I guess it depends on when you need to be at work. My schedule is super flexible. So if you can make a daytime appt work for you, it’s good. James says that 10 AM and 2PM are good targets for off-peak.

Kristen-thanks for the encouragement! Also, I’m going to try not to dislike you for your height/weight numbers ; ) I will never be 110 and I’m just 5’3". Of course, I am sharing no numbers here! Guess it just depends on what is right for your body. This is mostly a fitness thing for me (and let’s be clear, I’m not athletic in the least) but if I can drop a few at the same time (hence the south beach) that would be great (I’m kind of in that "happy but could be happier" place with regard to body image…ugh, did I just share that?). I have to admit that there’s a certain feeling of control in knowing that you can change your body, so I kind of just want to see what I can do…and also feel healthy.

Dudley-it’s the current Madonna..who looks much better than her age! I aspire to look much better than my age. And let’s just say that weight shifts around at a certain age. I refuse to go down without a fight! Heck, if I looked like Madonna, I’d post the pictures of myself, are you kidding me? My mom just warned me about the weight at which she thinks I will look gaunt (for me) and not trying to get there. I’m going for fit, not skinny.

14. nate says:

After your post, I’ve coincidentally been to the gym three times.  I’ve done at least 20 minutes of cardio and some weights each time.  This post apparently did not hurt my fitness.

15. HeatherLeigh says:

nate-I hope it wouldn’t *hurt* anyone’s fitness!

16. "Rantony" says:

A friend once told me if you can go to the Gym 10 (ten) times,  after that it will be a habit.

It’s true.

I get up at 4:30 ish am to get to the Gym as it opens at 5:30

am.

When you start a work out regimen, the first 9 times are most difficult. After that, it’s a habit and believe it or not, you’ll start to look forward to it . If you miss a day, you will regret missing it.

Whatever you do, don’t let the trainer burn you out or loathe going. It’s hard enough to motivate yourself to work out. It really is a form of self punishment. Don’t let the trainer add to that.

Just my $.02

“Ranthony”

17. HeatherLeigh says:

Ranthony-good advice. I actually look forward to the trainer part. We are doing sessions 2x per week for the firtst few weeks and then once a week and I’ll be working out on my own. But he seems to be cautious not to ramp me up too quickly, so it’s good. I really hope it starts to feel like a habit! So far, it just really feels great afterward and I’ve been sleeping through the night (falling asleep at 9PM no less), which is a big win for me.

18. nate says:

Not to be too long-winded, but…

I wanted to write that this post inspired me to go the gym, but I am not for sure.  It could be spurious correlation – I may coincidentally have gone to the gym after reading your post.  There are other things that may have inspired me to go the gym.

But I can say that your post did not prevent me from heading to the gym.  Maybe "prevent" is better word or idea than "hurt"

19. HeatherLeigh says:

Aha! Gotcha. Now that makes sense. I guess we can consider the post a *reminder* to go to the gym. Every time I log back on to my blog, it’s reminding me. : )

20. Darrell says:

You want to look like Madonna!Good lord  no;that woman has turned into what i not so kindly refer to as a skankmonster.Double yuck!