Is anyone else watching the Olympics?

The Olympics are much more enjoyable for me, now that we are in the age of DVR (that’s what you call them, right?). Used to be that I would check the listings of a couple sports that interested me and try to tune in.  But these days, I can’t help resisting fast forwarding to the grand finishes of even the events I don’t find all that interesting personally (luge, anyone?) because some of the stories are interesting and people achieving greatness is interesting and kind of touching (I know, look who’s getting all soft). So while I can’t last through all the races and events, I get to see the highlights according to Heather which has been pretty cool. What I’ve enjoyed so far (which I am posting in the hopes that someone will talk to me about this stuff since NOBODY I know is watching the Olympics):

1) Shaun White-is he just the sweetest most adorable kid, or what? I know I am officially 100 for saying that but still. Having achieved so much and acting all normal and grounded. Plus he got all teary when he finished his gold medal winning half pipe run because his family was there. He also gets extra points for the cool factor.

2) I never thought I would say this about an Olympic medal winner, but poor Lindsey Jacobellis. In the women’s snowboard-cross, she had the gold medal in the bag, did a hot dog stunt on the last jump and fell. If she hadn’t been so far ahead she wouldn’t have even gotten silver. The thing is she is just a kid (also 19, I think) and just did a kid thing. Unfortunately, she has to explain it in interview after interview. I think she’s holding up pretty well, though I am just waiting for her to admit that she was showing off a little. Such a lesson to learn in the public eye at that age (and haven’t we all done dumb stuff like that…good thing a bazillion people weren’t watching, huh?)

3) Apolo Anton Ohno turned into an adult. Can’t believe how graciously he accepted his bronze finish in the mens short track 1000m, especially after people have described his training over the last 4 years as “monk-like” (someone buy him a beer!).

4) My favorite so far has been Shani Davis making history in the mens 1000m. I think he seems really focused and I like hearing about the back-story (his mom used to wake him up every day as a kid to go run a mile before school). The media has really picked up on Chad Hedrick’s sour grapes (Chad’s comments really disappoint me). Shani declined to participate in the men’s relay and Chad, who already had a gold medal at that point, said some pretty unnecessary things about Shani (who had yet to race and in only a few days and wanted to save his strength for his best event, his best chance at gold). I kept yelling at the TV  to Chad” “grow up!” and “nobody owes you their participation in the relay, dude!”. Anyway, Chad and Shani face off in the 1500m tomorrow and I can’t wait!

5) It’s always fun to see the host country win, especially when it’s unexpected (4x10m cross country relay). Norway not placing was a shock, the Italians were overjoyed. Cool to watch.

6) Speaking of Italian athletes, I watched the highlights of ice dancing. Usually I have a hard time watching this sport because of the minimal likelihood of someone falling (it’s the risk of falling and the avoidance I enjoy, not the actual falling). Anyway, someone fell and let’s just say that I’m not feeling the love. Yowza! If looks could kill.

All that plus another week to come that also promises to be chock full of the over-used phrase “out there” (“I just want to go out there and skate a clean program”, etc.). I can’t be the only one of us that is an Olympics junkie. Anyone?

NBC’s Olympics site

1. X.Static says:

Summer Olympics I can take or leave, but being a former ski racer from my highschool/college days, the Winter Olympics are a must see for me, and everything else takes a back burner for me.  The biggest disappointment this year has been both the women’s/men’s ski teams…virtually no medals thusfar.  I abhor ice dancing though…IMO it’s the synchronized swimming of the Winter Olympics…bleh ;-).

2. Craig says:

X.Static, I agree with you, Ice Dancing is not a sport and should not be included.

3. HeatherLeigh says:

People could say the same about snowboarding because it has an artistic element, ski jumping too. Don’t you think? What about skeleton and luge? You could make the case for lots of other sports too. I don’t think ice dancing is not a sport, I’m just not particularly interested in it.

4. EH says:

Nice that the italians won the x-country relay… after Italian cops woke the Austrian team up in the middle of the night for a doping raid whch found nothing. Pretty shady business IMO.

5. What about hockey? No mention of the women’s bronze medal. While not playing Canada for the gold is a disappointment they did well. Yeah I am biased as there are many women on the team from Minnesota.

I have become addicted to curling. Not sure why but I have.

But is it a sport? Slide a rock and sweep the ice. Sounds like something my fraternity brothers and I tried one night in college to amuse ourselves.

A new phrase could come from the Olympics. The "Italian Stare". That was something.

6. HeatherLeigh says:

EH-I heard a different story about what they found. Not sure why the coach ran from the police. If nothing was done wrong, why run?

MN headhunter-you can be in charge of those sports bc they are on my fast forward list. My parents used to drg me to hockey games as a kid. I hated it (this may come as a susprise but if you keep a 9 year old up until 11 PM, they get cranky) and I remember trying to get out of it. Just can’t really get into it again. And curling, well, it’s an unusual sport so that makes it a *little* interesting but since it’s been relegated to the minor Olympics broadcast channels here (couldn’t name them), it didn’t get recorded. With your fraternity brothers, who got to play the rock? And how much alcohol was involved?

And yeah, that stare was something else. I don’t know that lady but I’ve made a mental note not to ever tick her off whomever she is!

7. I have cable tv in my office so I am a true junkie. Watching hockey at 10 am is pretty cool although the mute button is getting wore out.

My memory is a little fuzzy (no kidding) but I remember a plastic slide shaped like a saucer, an icy driveway caused by a snow plow, and a little (yeah right) peppermint schnapps with hot chocolate.

We all took turns being the rock (how fitting). The goal was to get the "rock" as close to the dumpster without hitting it.

No one was injured that I can remember…

8. HeatherLeigh says:

The Schnapps might have something to do with the fuzzy memory. I’m just saying. Skitching and parking lot donuts were our vehicles of stupidity during icy Chicago winters. And let’s just say that one of my highschool boyfriends was plenty into the donuts. Something about being indoors most of the season, the shiny ground and a beater car with a high center of gravity makes it irresistable, I guess.

9. Apparently, the Austraian coach ran from the cops because he’s banned from the Olympics, and wasn’t supposed to be there.  That made him a wanted man in Italy for some trespassing infraction.  Appearing in the team photo taken at the Olympics may not have been the bet way to keep a low profile.

Parking lot donuts haven’t been the same since front and all wheel drive cars have taken over.  My college was on a really steep hill (yes, just one, it’s not a big school), and we’d steal trays from the dining halls and use them as sleds down Main Street.  Mmmmm…peppermint schnapps and hot chocolate.

10. tod says:

1 reason in 2 words to watch the olympics… Gretchen Bleiler!  Any woman that can snowboard like she does, look so good (on and off the board) and appear to be such a nice person is all-right in my book.  ooo-la-la  😉

11. HeatherLeigh says:

Richard-my college was in a really bad neighborhood. Our fun was parking a car and hoping it was still there when we got back. Freshman year, my bike was gone in 2 weeks. Now any alcohol consumption on my part…I’m not telling!

Heehee, tod is a bit of a snowboard groupie ; ) Cool to seey ou rooting for the girls.

12. I can’t escape some of my tales–they’ve become legends.  I was twice elected social chair of my fraternity, and even 14 years later, the stories are retold at reunions and get-togethers.  Some stories lived on in the chapter house for a good 6 or 7 years after I graduated.

I’ve had the flu for the past several days (yes, something got through the germophobe defenses), and curling is absolutely mesmerizing when combined with Day-Quil.  I would never think a rock sliding on ice could be so fascinating, but it held my rapt attention for the entire time it was on.  The American girls are really, really talented, but they’ve been beat by some very aggressive strategy.  The two sisters are absolute sharpshooters with the pebble (which probably weighs about half as much as they do).  But, even in the legend-making heydey of yore, I would never have concieved of freestyle aerials.  What crazy bugger thought of that?  Having personally fallen from two stories, it hurts, and things sometimes break.  So yeah, let’s go 5 stories high, do it on skis, and combine it with a gymnastics floor routine while we’re airborne.

13. HeatherLeigh says:

Some crazy kids thought of the frestyle aerials by accident, I’m sure.

Your description of watching curling reminds me of myself trying to do Sudoku on the airplane after taking Atavan. I felt totally fine but the Sudoku just was not working.