What a relief, I’m not a geek

Just a poser.

via Neville Hobson

1. Hello Heather, you haven’t posted the result of the GeekTest so I don’t buy it 😉

2. HeatherLeigh says:

haha…a little over 7%. You know the stuff I really geek out over wasn’t even included and I have never seen any of those movies. I’m probably more freak (arranges old magazines by title and date, files receipts, etc.) than geek.

3. geoff.appleby says:

I wear my Geekiness with pride.

65.08876% – Geek God

w00t!

4. Chris says:

Born a Geek, will die a Geek! I believe I can make an X-Wing figher. 37.67588% -Major Geek

5. HeatherLeigh says:

See, this is how I know I didn’t date either of you guys in high school. But I can surely appreciate your geekiness now ; )

geoff….your score is almost hard to believe. OK, let me guess, Star Wars AND Star Trek, am I right?

OK, I’m just teasing you (but you had to answer a lot of those questions in the affirmative to get that score….you too Chris).

Obviously, we love geeks here!

6. geoff.appleby says:

Ha! You got me…well, not so much the trek, but definatley the star wars bit.

My score probably would have been higher, but there was a few things that were very location-specific – some stuff i’d never heard of because I’m not an american.

Sad really 🙂

7. HeatherLeigh says:

Yes, everyone around the world should have the same opportunity to be as geeky as we Americans are. I was going to say that I don’t think we invented the concept but I’m not sure..maybe just that we excel in it ; )

What’s some of the stuff you never heard of?

8. Marty says:

Great !!

Not only am I 24.26036% – Geek

but I am also a freak I also arrange old magazines by title and date, files receipts, has pantry shelves labeled by food type, wines and liquor organized by use etc.

9. HeatherLeigh says:

Hah Marty! That just makes me like you more. At the store, do you grab the milk carton the farthest into the cooler so you get the best one? I do!

10. geoff.appleby says:

Hey Heather,

Things I haven’t heard of:

The SCA

We don’t generally have things like marching bands or band camp.

Never heard of ‘hypertext fiction’.

We don’t get MSTK3, Beat the Geeks, Dexter’s Lab (i think) or a sci-fi channel here.

Fantasy Football (this, i know, is a yank thing 🙂

The’re the worst of them, anyway 🙂

11. HeatherLeigh says:

Oh geoff, I imagined helping you out with an explanation of some of those things, but I don’t know most of them either. I guess that goes to show that there’s a geek subculture. Kind of like how they say there’s a subculture living in the sewers on NY. Except the geek one smells better and has better toys. Marching bands, etc: you know I have never thought of how American they are. I’m not a big parade person (parades, fireworks, etc…seen one, seen ’em all). I suspect that maybe some of our national pride rituals seem a little unusual to people that don’t live here. Heck, I wouldn’t know abou tthem at all if it weren’t for football games (American kind). Now the fantasy football thing, if you are completely unfamiliar, is a game where a bunch of people (usually sitting in a stinky bar) pick different real-life players from real professional football teams to create a "fantasy team". Then when the real games are played throughout the season, they somehow (I’m sure someone can fill us in) extrapolate statistics from those games to come up with stats for their "fantasy team". So for example, if one of your players had x number of yards intheir real life game, you would take those yards for your fantasy team. I’m still not clear on how they turn that into touchdowns. But seriously, I have no doubt that at least one of my readers can fill us in. The fantasy football thing though is a little different kind of geekiness though (sports geeks?). You could find people that do the fantasy football thing that don’t do any of the other things on that survey. Here, the SciFi channel is one that I can honestly say I have never watched. BUt if you were to want to see re-runs of Star Trek or 2001 A Space Odyssey (was that the name?) or Invasion of the BOdy Snatchers, that would be the place. So you are inthe UK, right? I I wouldn’t know what kind of cultural attributes in the UK might suggest that someone is a geek. I think we are clear on the star trek/wars thing…anything else that’s unique?

12. geoff.appleby says:

Actually, I’m an aussie. Aussie geeks generally fall into two categories – there’s the obivous type, with the pocket protectors and the really thick taped glasses, etc and then there’s the unobvious ones (which is most common) which look like ordinary everyday people. The unobvious ones generally integrate into society better – unless you happen to mention star wars, star trek, or operating systems in front of them…then you better watch out 🙂

I’m happily one of the latter. But I don’t particularly like star trek!

The scifi channel sounds great – might even be worth moving to the states for 😛

13. Marty says:

Yes yes I do reach way in there looking for the best one .. I also check the eggs and anything else that has an expiration date.

14. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah, Marty, you’re a freak, just like me ; )