I Wish I Were an American Express Superstar

I love the American Express advertisements. You know, the ones that make you want to be BFF with Kate Winslet, play cards at the breakfast table with Ellen Degeneres and her dog, admire the beauty of Ken Watanabe (come on, I’m not alone..admit it). The photos are striking and the questions make you feel like you are getting a little peek into the real person; the one you don’t see on the red carpet. Anyway, since American Express hasn’t asked yet (I just checked…my phone isn’t broken), I thought I’d blog how I would answer the questions with the hopes that I am a fraction as interesting as Kate Winslet (ew, that kind of reads like “please love me”, but it’s just for fun not a need to be voted homecoming queen of the blogosphere). And because you are interesting too, you should do the same…

My name: Heather Hamilton

childhood ambition: to be a lawyer because arguing is fun (and your parents think it’s cute when you have an opinion on everything at 5 years old)

fondest memory: late 70s/ Southern California/ New roller skates

soundtrack: Garden State

retreat: it’s what happens when you already had a treat and you want another one. Ah, seriously, it’s all about the call screening (at home).

wildest dream: this is my work blog so I, uh, don’t remember. Seriously, I have that one where I am falling all the time and also the one where I missed my last final exam in college and won’t graduate and my life is ruined (don’t bother analyzing…I already got it)

proudest moment: 100% financially independent, 1991…I can still taste the PB&J

biggest challenge: remembering to take my vitamins every day

alarm clock: the thing that lets my dog know it’s time to nudge me with a cold nose

perfect day: one sandy beach, 85 degrees, good books, a cold cocktail

first job: video store back when Beta was cool

indulgence: champagne, seafood, Mexican food, Thai food, hand bags

last purchase: lumber (I built a bed platform yesterday…really!)

favorite movie: The Last Emperor, The Usual Suspects, This is Spinal Tap

inspiration: the better me I imagine

My life: could change at any moment

My card: does not include a fax machine number

Edit: added link to ad site 1/4

1. What are you talking about? You’re already a superstar!

Great questions – fun answers. We’re getting to see a different side of HeatherLeigh. This is kinda like Heather’s original meme (with a lil’ AMEX muse).

I’ll take a stab at it when I’m able to think straight (and that would be after the game tonight). Notice, all of my trash talk has greatly subsided as kickoff time nears.

2. Rajnish says:

I liked them too, this was one ad I actually read through, specially Tiger Woods, Liked your’s too.

Btw, your biggest challenge reminded me to take my Co Q10 today.

3. HeatherLeigh says:

Masked one…there’s a big possiblity I am going to hurl today. I’m never one to say "we are going to win", but I sure hope we do. I’m just so darn proud. And completely nervous and afraid to eat anything. GO Trojans! Oops, sorry, that just squeaked out.

Rajnish-of course I forgot my vitamins last night! Argghhh! ; )

4. Brad says:

They are compelling ads. Any idea who that one guy is? Is he the inventor/creator of the Blackberry?

The cynic in me wonders if the celeb’s answered the questions truthfully. The gullible in me says they did. I’m also curious about the handwriting…is it really theirs?

BTW: You got that right about the Last Emperor. Such a beautiful movie. It partly influenced me to major in chinese history way back in the day.

5. HeatherLeigh says:

Brad-do you mean Ken Watanabe or someone else? Ken’s an actor (I believe he was in The Last Samurai). Good questions about the authorship and writing. I’d say they probably did the answers themselves with some help. Ah, maybe I am gullible too ; )

WRT The Last Emperor, "beautiful" is the right word. The cinematography is outstanding. It really enhanced the experience when I was actually able to visit the forbidden city and see it first hand.

6. Brad says:

No, not Ken Watanabe. One of the print ads features an older white male who is pictured tinkering on what looks like a Blackberry. I keep meaning to Google, err MSNSearch, him. 😉

Ahh, Beijing is definitely a place I’d love to visit especially the Forbidden City.

7. HeatherLeigh says:

Hmm, couldn’t find that one. Here’s the site: http://www.mylifemycard.com/mylifemycard.html

I’ll link to it in the original post.

8. Brad says:

*scratches head*

Hmmm, I’m going to have to go home and search through my magazines, because that ad isn’t featured at the AmEx website. I’m thinking it was in a recent New Yorker…

I’ll get back to you on this important issue 🙂

9. HeatherLeigh says:

Please do. The curiousity is killing me so iut’s very important ; )

10. DY says:

There are a couple small pinholes in the AMEX campaign bubble. The answers were scripted and handwriting is not authentic. A good campaign never the less.

11. HeatherLeigh says:

DY-we want details…how do you know?

12. DY says:

LOL No big mystery, just happen to know a couple of the agency people. I recall an article in one the trade rags regarding the campaign as well. Pinholes or not, here we are bloggin on about it…. 😉

13. HeatherLeigh says:

Ah, I thought there was some dish. Yeah, I guess it’s still good advertising if it’s gotten our attention (and I still want to be friends with Kate Winslet).

14. DY says:

Well there is a small dish on this. Ogilvy was named in a lawsuit by a credit card supplier in Cali. Long story short: it’s a trademark infrngement charge on the tagline "my life my card."

15. person who likes to answer questions says:

Here’s the ‘mystery’ "old guy:"

16. HeatherLeigh says:

It looks like it may have been launched in Canada only. Interesting. I wonder if there are more coming.

17. simper says:

DY –

Sorry, but the only pinholes are those you wrote. The print campaign is filled out by the actual cardmember and the handwritting is real. Neither are made up.

Check out the adcritic article and check your facts.

Oh and yes, Mike L. is the inventor of the Blackberry.

18. person who likes to answer questions says:

Maybe the person who saw it is from Canada or a border state

19. Brad says:

Well I am glad the mystery person’s identity has been solved! Thanks person who likes to answer questions, and simper.

/Can sleep easier tonight 😉

20. Tim says:

You’ll probably think it’s funny, but I hadn’t seen them before (that’s what I get for giving up TV). The print ads are beautiful and the Robert DeNiro commercial is heartbreaking, isn’t it?

Do you wonder, Heather, how they would should you (or me for that matter) in your own city? How would you look? What would you say?

21. HeatherLeigh says:

Tim-yeah, there’s something dramatic and real about them…even if they aren’t real, they feel real. If it were me, I might say what I said above but seeing it in print might be a bit different than seing it on my blog. As fpr how they would shoot me, I guess it would depend on what they found captured "me"…maybe trying to kiss my dog on the nose as he turns his head away. Giving up on umbrellas and just getting rained on. At home trying to do some ridiculous home improvement project.

22. simper says:

Heather hunny, baby, darlink.

The ads are real. Real handwritting and celeb answers.

go to:

23. HeatherLeigh says:

Simper, sweety, snookums, booboo. I think we covered that already.

24. Sir Denis Eaton Hogg says:

But will the ad play big in Japan ?

25. DY says:

Clearly you (and the AdCritic are the keeper of all facts, I acquiesce to your ultimate authority). I stand by what was written. The answers were scripted, the writing was produced (yes the signatures are real…that part is authentic…duh).

26. Shauna in Nashville says:

Heather, I love the picture in the ad with Ken Watanabe. I have the magazine somewhere with the picture in it. I have, unfortunately, looked high and low for it and can’t find it. I want to use the picture as my wallpaper on my computer (mostly to drool over) and have looked everywhere on the internet for a suitable copy with no success. Any advice?

27. HeatherLeigh says:

Shauna-trust me, I understand! Try to go to the Amex campaign site I linked to in one of my comments above and see if you can get the image there.

28. Connie says:

If any one finds out how to order a picture of Ken WatanaBe in the American Express Ad with the horse and dog, would you let me know.

Reference Ken WatanaBe in the subject line so I don’t delete it as junk.  As an animal lover, I think it is an awesome picture!