Opportunity for Podcasters: Howard Stern’s move to Sirius

I was thinking about this topic this morning during my AM commute, if you can call it that (7-12 minutes door to door). I’ve been listening to Howard Stern since the early 90s when I was in LA (and when he was available wherever I was living at the time). I enjoy the news and interviews and I could sometimes catch snippets of them on my way into the office. Anyway, the local station broadcasting Howard is where I tuned my radio dial each morning. Of course, that all ended last week.

I read that Howard is disappointed that more people aren’t signing up for Sirius now that he’s moving over. I personally think that this will happen over time. OR people will find something else that interests them. Frankly, I don’t spend enough time in my car to justify forking out the dough for a Sirius radio. When I want some music, I generally listen to my iPod. The radio was all about Howard and NPR for me.

So I am wondering now if prominent podcasters know what an opportunity exists here. Millions of eager ears in search of some interesting commute-time programming. I’m not suggesting that Adam Curry develop his own “whack pack”…just that all those Howard fans making decisions right now about where to tune in (let’s not pretend that it’s David Lee Roth, OK?).

I’ve personally subscribed to Hobson and Holtz’s For Immediate Release (“woohoo..stop the presses!”).

Has anyone else thought about this too?

1. Paul says:

Nah, it’ll never happen. The whole point is that Howard is live, in your car, and requires no preparation to listen to; you just flip him on when you dash out the door and jump in your vehicle. Nobody’s going to listen to podcasts while they drive to work…especially considering how few people have their ipods rigged into their car stereos. I guess you could drive with your headphones on but that looks pretty dumb (it’s illegal in most states too, btw). I still can’t figure out how sirius plans to get the $100mil per yr to pay him though…

2. You might want to consider Opie and Anthony. They’re like Stern, but younger, yet somehow more mature and clever. They’re on XM Satellite Radio, but the shows are available on Audible.com for $70 a year, far less than a satellite radio subscription. That means you can get the show every day and sync it to your portable device (Windows-based or iPod). If you’re looking for your missing Stern experience, this is your best bet.

3. Todd N says:

Might be pretty slick to do some podcasting about careers with your company eh?

Talk about your virtual job fair!

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Hmm, I must be unusual…I have the cassett input thing and the itrip (is that what it’s called) and it’s pretty easy to just plug it into the top of my iPod for now. I guess i am the exception.

Nathan-for me, it’s pretty much Howard or nothing. I *may* eventually buy a Sirius (someone I work with is getting one for Christmas so I’ll check his out) but I would wait for the price to go down since my short commute doesn’t justify the expense. Doubt I would gamble on getting XM to hear someone I don’t know. Anyhoo, for now, I am going to try the podcasts and we’ll see how that goes.

Todd-I have to admit that I have been planning that for so long but it keeps getting pushed to the back burner. But the fact that you brought it up is reminding me again!

5. lynns says:

Heather, I just recieved my IPOD Nano, an early Christmas gift from my company. It is one of the coolest pieces of technology I own. Please move your plans for a podcast to the front burner, it would one that I would subscribe to.

I know there is some heartburn about ipods on campus, but I would also like to see more podcasts from the product groups.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays & Happy New Year

6. Frank A says:

I think it can totally work. Just a matter of the right targeting. Podcasting is on the acscension. Great call!

PS: I took the liberty to include the URL of this short flick on iFilm (owned by Stern’s former employer) that struck my fancy. Enjoy!

7. TJ says:

Satellite radio completely replaced podcasting for me.  In fact, I rarely even use the regualr Ipod anymore (just the nano, for working out).   With Sirius I get Stern, a bunch of NPR channels, like 80 commercial free music channels, 5 to 10 other talk stations worth a listen.  The hardware needs to improve, but I’m already a lifelong subscriber.

Podcasting require too much maintenance to ever go beyond the level of niche.   It’s a great medium if only cause of the depth of offerings and diversity possible, but that same depth and diversity will also insure it never reachs any mainstream success.

Skip to main content