When your pseudo-fake stealth marketing isn’t as cute as you think it is

Rarely does an advertisement, stealth or otherwise, make me want to trip someone and steal his lunch money. But this one does  because it’s not as cute as it thinks it is. Yeah, dude, we get it..you’re so cool and stealth and cutting edge that we should want to drink what you drink. Only in this “advertisement” you remind me of that guy in high school that would yuk it up in class and even though people couldn’t help but laugh, nobody wanted to hang out with him because he couldn’t turn that stuff off. Enough! We know you’re a hipster and your fake-honesty is cutting edge. Please, put the sugar water down.

(And by “dude”, I mean the “dude” of the advertisement or whomever wrote the copy…who knows if it was even Kyle’s idea, and if that’s even a real name)

Edit: just to clarify, I thought it was a fake (meaning sponsored) satirical stealth ad (under the guise of being an article) in a satirical publication, not a satirical article for a fake product in a satirical publication. I was thinking that Mountain Dew was appealing to people that like satire and are still in their demographic. Knowing now, that there’s no such product (yeah, so I should have checked…my bad), I realize it’s the latter. Thanks to all the meanies and trolls out there for clearing that up. Now you all have a good weekend and don’t forget to kick your dog for being cute (psst, that’s sarcasm) ; )

1. Ed Kaim says:

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not, but The Onion is a satirical newspaper. For example, read http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29743.

At the same time, it would be interesting to know if Mountain Dew did pay some money to get the publicity…

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Maybe I’m becoming more pessimistic. I assumed there was some $$ behind that. It’s hard to tell these days. I’m sure someone knows.

3. Chris says:

Heather, you may want to pull this post — you look kinda’ like an idiot.

The onion is a fake newspaper and the article was a slam on stealth marketing.

True Blue doesn’t exist.

I always knew Marketing was the weakest link at Microsoft…

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah, whatever…I’m an idiot but I am not pulling the post. I know what The Onion is and I still don’t think it’s funny (though I did assume that it was a paid arrangement…I’m a dolt, hahaha). I didn’t know that True Blue doesn’t exist because I don’t drink any of that stuff but thanks for so politely and anonymously bringing it to my attention. I didn’t catch your blog url, Chris.

You know it’s a good thing that you don’t make mistakes, Chris, like not knowing the fact that I don’t work in marketing here. Sorry, everyone, I am not down with the name-calling thing, especially when it comes from someone that doesn’t leave a trail.

People do dumb stuff, including and especially me…life goes on.

5. You’re braver than I am Chris — I was afraid to say the Emperor wore no clothes . . . but I too was confused if Heather “get’s it” and is herself trying to be more clever than “The Onion” – but this was a prime example of a confusing blog entry.

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Anonymous criticism is brave, huh? Go figure.

7. nate says:

As long as we are talking Onion, any thoughts on the article below?

8. nate says:

"Anonymous criticism is brave, huh? Go figure."

Sometimes people criticize anonymously because they fear costly retaliation if they criticize openly. So as long as we are talking "brave", why not throw in all the people in power and privilege who oppress people who exercise free speech?

This is not to say I defend anonymous criticism in all instances or across-the-board or in this instance.

9. HeatherLeigh says:

Talk about getting off the subject. I think anonymous criticism is cowardly; it’s saying it in the open that is brave. I mean, what kind of "costly retaliation" does Chris fear from me? (Let me give you a hint, I don’t run Microsoft or have anything to do with the government). Maybe if the retaliation is so costly, people should find a nicer way to say it. I’m open to people disagreeing with me, but calling someone an "idiot" is rude, and doing it anoymously is cowardly. Sorry, that’s how I feel and this is my blog so I get to say that here.

Many bloggers don’t allow anonymous comments, by the way. Now, I can kind of see where they are coming from.

10. nate says:

I did not say anonymous in this instance was okay. I do not completely understand the situation.

In general, I do not enjoy personal attacks. It is called "ad hominem" and is somewhat of a common logical fallacy.

Your blog is apparently very successful so I have a hard time seeing Chris’s viewpoint.

Mistakes are a good thing as long as they are not super costly and you learn from them. And I do not think this was necessarily a mistake anyways. It got people engaged in your blog.

11. HeatherLeigh says:

Nate-now that I can agree with ; )

Yes, *some* people assumed I didn’t understand The Onion…obviously people that are new here. I do understand it. In fact, I was thinking that if someone was going to place a satirical pseudo-ad for a soft drink, that would be the place to do it (because their audience gets satire). I could explain "context" to them but assumed that most people would have figured that out. My mistake was not knowing that the drink doesn’t exist and not explaining in enough detail why I didn’t like it as an advertising medium (personally, I think for satire to improve brand perception or product awareness it needs to say something positive about the brand and/or get people to buy the product…I just was not getting that from the stealth "dude"). The fact that the product isn’t real (which again I could have checked out and didn’t, my mistake) actually makes me feel a little better. Whatever. I can’t take it too personally because I know I am not an "idiot". Plus, Chris thinks it’s a good idea to pull down a blog post because you made a mistake. I don’t agree. Live and learn.

12. Chris says:

Er’… Sorry Heather for not leaving "a trail". I don’t have a blog. I believe that only about 5% of those who have blogs, should actually have blogs. You know, Don Box, Chris Anderson — people who know something and really have something to say on a regular basis. While I wish I was one of those people — sadly, I am not.

Would you like my home address instead — or perhaps my phone number?

13. HeatherLeigh says:

Sure Chris, why don’t you leave that info here and then we can get together for some tea.

14. I admire that you left the post up. Make you more human and interesting. 🙂

15. Chris says:

No, really Heather. You give me crap about being a coward, what would you have me do?

…oh, Merry Christmas.

16. HeatherLeigh says:

Chris-maybe not go out of your way to be mean to someone you don’t know. I mean, you keep coming back, why? If I’m an idiot and my blog stinks, feel free not to read it!

17. ed adkins says:

1. It doesn’t appear that this Chris is a troll. His comment to you was no more biting that the comments you posted towards the writer of the Onion article. Really, critiquing something you misunderstand does make you look like an idiot- but we risk that every time we criticize people like you did in your post. Anyone of us stating our opinion so often will look like one at least 5-10 percent of the time- it’s a universal law.

2. Anonymous commenters are commenting where? On your blog. You are the one choosing to attach your name to your words, and you give them the option not to. I get plenty, but I don’t consider them cowards- just not exibitionists like me.

Most people who have a beef with blog writers are just adding their opinion. Once you hear them out they quit. Unless you enjoy playing around with them- that can be fun as well.

18. HeatherLeigh says:

ed, I just disagree. I think it’s easy to be mean when nobody knows who you are. I don’t go around anonymously ripping into people..do you? And throwing stones at others who attach their identity to what they write is very convenient. It’s easy to act superior when nobody gets to see your mistakes (we all make them, even Chris, right?). Yes, I give them the option to comment, but they choose their words (and their anonymity). I also have the option of censoring what they write, which I have chosen not to do. I stand by what I said…all of it.

19. D-Wang says:

My 2 cents… I agree with your take on stealth marketing Heather… it makes it very hard to know the truth.

I think the Onion article was pretty funny though. I think we might just leave it that since whether Chris is being satirical himself or serious…. hearing and reading are too different mediums. If I were talking to you, you could actually see/hear the satirical tone… however, reading the typed comments would lead you to believe that I was a meany!