Snow what?

There is snow expected here tomorrow (or tonight)…for some reason our weather-casters are wrong about 50% of the time (what a job…can I be wrong 50% of the time and still keep my job? Probably not!). They obviously have not figured out that if they predict rain/overcast between November and March, they have a pretty high likelihood of being correct. Generally, the kind of snow we get around here is pretty wimpy, at least that’s what my inner Chicago girl thinks. We get just enough for us to relish the novelty but not enough that it becomes bothersome. Enough to get out your camera and have some fun with your dog or kids; not enough for it to become a soot slurpee. Enough to get out the scarf and mittens; but not enough for the ski mask.

Anyway, due to the novelty of our annual dusting of snow (it pretty much seems to happen just once a year, if that), people pretty much freak out; and by this I mean that they stay home from work (which is fine by me…I live at the top of a very steep hill; going down is easy, coming back up, not so much). We are all reminding each other to take home our laptops tonight, “just in case”. See, Seattle doesn’t really have all the plow trucks that our eastern brethren do. So basically, we have the adult version of a childhood snow day and all us so-called grown ups get a little giddy at the thought of working from home as the white stuff drifts down from the sky. Keep in mind that we could work from home anytime, but for some reason, the snow day is still a guilty pleasure (add tomato soup and grilled cheese and it’s perfect).

1. oldnewthing says:

The problem is that if you have highway divider bumps (aka Bots Dots) you can’t have snowplows because they would just dig up all the dots! (Unless you spring for the more expensive recessed dots, which Seattle doesn’t.) Seattle is the only city I know that has both bumps and snow, and it suffers from the combination.

2. Marcus says:

Yea, I’m realizing more and more that no one else quite knows the extremes of weather as well as someone from Chicago.

3. RIch Dudley says:

Or Pittsburgh! 20 degrees F and 4" of snow on Thanksgiving, 60 degrees F yesterday.

Heather–what part of Chicago? My folks moved to Deerfield when I was in college. Thankfully I had to memorize the Great Lakes and US Presidents in elementary school, or I’d never be able to navigate downtown! I worked for a summer on Hubbard, which was an awesome location–just a few blocks from everytning (including the Billy Goat–cheezborger, nofrieschips).

4. Jeff Parker says:

Heh, I have to laugh because I know just what you mean. I am right in that huge lake effect snow line from Chicago to Traverse City. Unfortunately we are so used to it we just do not get snow days anymore. I laugh though because I went to visit my sister one year for Christmas in North Carolina, they got a half inch of snow. The whole area seems to shut down. Cars in the ditches, utter chaos.

5. HeatherLeigh says:

Marcus-it got cold and windy. I worked in a building at the windiest intersection in the city (Jackson and Wabash) and remember having to hold on to a light pole one windy slick night.

Rich- went to high school in Glen Ellyn, but when I lived there as an adult, I ended up in River West (as you might expect, just west of the loop by the river—Chicago and Halstead). I had THE COOLEST loft apartment ever! Had to give that up to come to Microsoft. So you must have been near the Wrigley building. I was in the CNA building (red building), so I always looked forward to Taste of Chicago because it was pretty much across the street from my office.

Jeff-I remember talking about and wishing for snow days when I was in school (I was in jr. high and high school in Illinois), but I don’t actually remember us actually getting any. It was like an urban legend.

Ah well, our snow didn’t happen last night (like I said, they weather folks are often wrong), but possible today.

6. eleanor says:

"what a job…can I be wrong 50% of the time and still keep my job?"

Maybe if you are in software development or project management! ;p

In project management courses, they usually tell you that roughly 50% of projects are incorrectly estimated.

7. HeatherLeigh says:

saw some slushy rain today…could it be coming?

8. HeatherLeigh says:

we have big fat snowflakes folks…yay!