Wrong Thanksgiving Food

My friend Mark made me think of this…all the food that comes out at Thanksgiving that simply should not exist. I think this is mostly because he’s British and his wife is American, so he can view our American tradition with a little bit of objectivity (though the fact that beans on toast exists—and he likes it— keeps me from endorsing him as a connoisseur). It’s purely a matter of taste, of course. My family loves red cabbage cooked in port and creamed onions….yours might not (probably especially not if you have kids).

What I think you end up with is a list of “must haves” and “never agains”. And just to make this relevant to my blog topic, I’ll speculate that some of these dishes have had the benefit of great marketing. Anyway, share your best and worst…I’ll start:

Must have: cooked red cabbage, green bean casserole (I know, horribly unsophisticated, but I don’t care)

Never again: sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top (blech!)

Your turn.

1. matt says:

My brother absolutely must have cranberry-orange relish. I personally can’t stand the stuff.

2. Mark Tookey says:

Now I can say I’ve really made it – the inspiration for a blog entry!!

You just wait, we’re going to have a baked beans on toast party at your house, and you are just going to love it – you’ll wonder how you ever made it all these years without tasting the food of kings (I actually have some vague recollection of reading once that Prince Charles likes beans on toast, so there!!).

One thing you and I definitely agree on though is the need to keep sweet potatoes and marshmallows apart. Just because you can combine them, sure doesn’t mean you should…

3. Jeff Clark says:

My grandma always made this cranberry/whipped cream/walnut concoction. She’s gone now, so I have to settle for the cranberry gel in a can. Delish!

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Mark-yes, you’re famous now ; ) Looking forward to the steaming helping of beans on (cough, cough) toast!

Jeff-something special about food made by grandma, that’s for sure!

5. Mom says:

Must have is the leftovers for the ultimate sandwich the day after.

Branola Original Bread

Spread on the 3 next ingred.

Cream Cheese

Cranberry (Jelllied) Sauce

Top with

Turkey slice &

I kid you not–the best!

6. HeatherLeigh says:

oh yeah, my mom knows what she is talking about. And she makes the best stuffing ever! Mom-don’t tell granny what I said about the marshmallow potatoes ; )

7. Ian says:

Hey! There is nothing wrong with beans on toast!

Of course, they really need to be Heinz beans and benifit greatly from having liberal amounts of HP sauce applied but I digrest.

The nation that came up with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches can have no comment on the culinary delight that is beans on toast 😉

8. HeatherLeigh says:

OK, ya got me on the PB&J thing but I still say no to beans on toast.