Marketers…want to work in XBOX?

This is the team with the highest *cool* factor at Microsoft (I know, I am automatically a dinosaur for saying it like that but it’s all I got). XBOX Marketing has a bunch of open positions. If you want me to send your resume to the XBOX hiring team, e-mail it to me at Heather.Hamilton@microsoft.com

1. Laura says:

Hi there – I have read a lot of posts on the interview process for software positions. What is the process like for those being interviewed for marketing and finance positions within the Xbox group?

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Hey Laura, I checked with the recruiting manager in XBox and she says it’s the same process as for other marketing and finance positions. Usually that means an intial phone interview with the recruiter, same with the hiring manager, and an interview day with 4-7 interviewers.

As far as the standard marketing or finance interviews, no puzzle questions, but we do tend to use hypothetical or "case" questions to uncover how you think.

3. KevinH says:

Hey Heather, I’m curious: how often does Microsoft do print projects for its console promotions? I rarely see mailers or brochures unless they are included in the games or console boxes…is this something that ROI research has made unattractive?

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Hi Kevin,

I would speculate that given the target audience, there are likely better electronic channels to engage them. Given that there’s a gamer community out there, I suspect that the XBox team wants to figure out how to engage them directly with the goal of providing a playing experience. And I would assume that new entrants into that gamer community (like younger kids, for example) are influenced more by peers than collateral. But that’s just me speculating.

If we are lucky, John Porcaro might jump on here and respond (though with the upcoming launch I suspect he’s got a lot on his plate)

5. KevinH says:

Some thoughts/questions here for you smart minds:

Jane McGonigal’s ( avantgame.com ) work on ilovebees was a innovative way for marketing a new product and it created a ton of publicity and interest.

Is this something that you think could be a future creative direction for Microsoft?

Quiet ideas like obeygiant.com have a great guerilla marketing way of generating their own efficacy because they offer a hint that makes people want to know more–and what’s more they are not just the same song-and-dance commercials that we ignore.

The word is out on them though, and they are recognizable now. Are they still effective, and are they a credible new direction?

6. Will Wilson says:

Hi

Im a New Zealander wanting to work in xbox/xbox360 but have no idea how to approach microsoft in New Zealand.  Do they have a division here or should i be looking overseas?

7. Andrew Bennett says:

Hi i am a huge fan of the xbox and xbox 360, and i have wanted to work with microsoft when i first heard about the xbox it was crazy mad graphics and mint game play.

I took photography, media, e-media, and art hoping that with the skils that i would gain from the subjects i was taking i could make a good impresion with microsoft.

Ive played games all my life ive held 2 year long contests in my house with every one i know being a stuped amount of people posh and poor but, i have resantly droped out of college after i completed the first year of college because i found it to easy i tryed some other stuff but i think ive basicaly wrect my life cause i have talent but not so good gcse`s and A levals  any ad vice of a company that might take me on would help alot plz can some one sugest some thing cause ive got 8 week be4 i get kicked out of my house and am only 18 years old i just carnt find the right work for em

zooman24@hotmail.co.uk plz any one email my adress with any thing at all to help

8. Andrew Bennett says:

btw to the xbox team u guys are amazing uve made the xbox in to the king of all game stations best of luck to you in the future.

from andrew bennett

9. Sue young says:

i hear that the curry is very spicey is this true and that there is a nex xbox that has 100 extra mother boards and a chip in the controller that can play by itself is this true?

10. HeatherLeigh says:

I’m guessing that is a joke. I may know a thing or 2 about curry (the hotter the better), I don’t know jack about motherboards.

11. Carlos says:

what kind of qualifications do I need ?

12. HeatherLeigh says:

Carlos – they are listed in the descriptions. Keep in mind that this is a post from 2005. If you want to see current openings, just go to our career site (microsoft.com/careers) and do a search for positoins in XBox.