Best thing I have heard in a while

Via Seth Godin, and if you know my musical taste you understand:

“You have to bring some funk to get some. You just can’t walk in a place and expect to get some funk. If you ain’t bring no funk, then you can’t get no funk… Another thing is, you can’t fake the funk or your nose will grow.”–Bootsy Collins

Kind of like what I said here, but way funkier.

1. Tim says:

Excellent quote! And I was just starting to think Bootsy was insane. Whew!

2. Russ says:

Seth listened to some P-Funk, Cameo and Sly and the Family Stone. Funk is organic, funk is universal, funk makes the world go around. Interesting how our music shapes our thoughts.

This was the daily music scene in the weight room, whomever went outside to get a drink of water had their music changed involuntarily.

So we went back and forth between Parliament,Cameo and (don’t laugh) Frampton Comes Alive.

3. I like to listen to funky jazz myself to get the creativity and life going.

I say BRING THE FUNK!!! We all need some funk.

I pledge allegiance to the funk,

the whole funk,

and nothing but the funk,

so help me James, Sly and George,

Amen.

— Another Bootsy quote

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Russ-nothing wrong with Frampton. I saw him in concert about ten yers ago (I think it was at the Greek Theater in LA) and he’s really tiny.

Chris-I never would have pegged you for funky jazz…good to know. I’m pretty much all about the old-school funk. EW&F and Commodores mostly. The shinier the outfits the better! I mean, who’s funkier than Verdine? The man emits funk all over the place!

5. Paul says:

EW+F and Commodores are pretty new school, following the P-Funk early 70s stuff. For modern old school, I’m a James Brown fan (Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag), but Mezz Mezzrow is the real old school (Funky Butt,with Sidney Bechet, 1947 – I think he might have done an earlier version in the 30s, but this song is considered the original Funk). I like my funk original, raw and stinky.

Frampton was OK too. Had to replace that album when the grooves wore out.

Funkadelic man . . .

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Paul-I guess it depends on how old you are. Early 70s is about the first music I can remember so it’s old school to me…at least for that brand of funk.

7. Paul says:

Touche. My grandfather was really into jazz, and turned me on to a very wide range of music appreciation. Anyway, if you like the ‘new’ stuff, you should give the old ground-breaking stuff a listen. (If you want to be really nerdy, listen on vinyl, and preferably 78s if you can find an original recording and a decent player – there’s nothing like it). My parents thought James Brown was sin incarnate (they didn’t like David Bowie much either), so naturally, that had a lot of appeal for me.

Funk lives!