Something new and it’s very networky

Those darn people at Jobster are winning me over. I’ve been speaking with them for some time, but now they’ figured out how to hook me…allowing me to publish jobs on my blog and to give all of you the ability to share my info without having to act as middle person (do you get those e-mails too?…I want to tell those people to just contact me directly…seriously, I am not that hard to find even if you are 3 degrees away).

I know, I know. My first thought was “ugh, more social networking stuff…more so-called connections”. This is different. You know I wouldn’t try it if it wasn’t. So here’s the deal:

You all are well networked (I know it because some of you have sent people my way). Knowing that some of you might not be looking for a finance or marketing career *right now*, your network of contacts could. And they might even appreciate you forwarding our job info their way (or putting them in touch with someone that could help them out down the road…yep, that’s me). The best part is that they don’t have to “connect” to me. You can forward our job info on to them and I don’t even need to know about it. You and they can sign up to hear from us on jobs in the future if you want, but you don’t have to. So instead of trying to make everyone 1 degree away, your network stays *your network* (brilliant). And you get to decide what info passes along to the people you know.

Well, I suspect that the Jobster folks would do a better job of explaining it than I would. Suffice it to say that the pesky things that bug me about social networking (“I know we have never met before, but please join my network”), don’t exist in Jobster’s offering. So I have agreed to take it for a test drive. Let’s see if you like it. Click on the link below to enter and we’ll take it from there. This is an experiment, kids. Feel free to try it out and let me know if it’s something that you think you and others would be interested in. This is not sales pitch…if it’s great, let’s use it…if it isn’t, let’s not.

Microsoft is hiring!

View jobs

1. neilster says:

It is so great to see you using this new feature. I am working with your "partners in crime" over in the recruiting group to push this feature to a new level through your feedback and experimentation.

Go Heather!

2. Interesting site and concept. I see that Jobster is an invitation only for the job seeker side. I guess they wish it to be somewhat out of reach for the masses and have them seek to be invited in by the recruiter. So only the great connected people get in that can give the most and best referrals.

Bottom line is that Jobster takes the 80/20 rule and keeps out the 80% who have almost no value and celebrate the 20% that can give the most benefit. Very smart if you get the best and right 20%.

3. Gautam says:

Have refered some folks from my B School your way !

Let me know as to how they turn out !

regards

Gautam

4. Phil Weber says:

Hey, Heather: What’s with the funky "(read more)" business in your RSS feed? I can no longer read you on an airplane! Please bring back full-text RSS!

5. Hi Heather,

Seems to me Jobster has created an interactive Internet recruiting tool that captures the essence of what has traditionally been the primary role of executive recruiters. We’ve talked about Microsoft using job boards to source entry/mid-level talent – but Jobster could potentially move this way up the food chain to senior positions and hard-to-fill highly specialized jobs, by taping-in to the passive job market (where exec recruiters make their commissions).

Looking forward to getting your feedback regarding Jobster, and hope to interview the "Chief Jobster" Jason Goldberg, soon. Will let you know when it airs.

6. Patiently waiting... says:

I have a question. It’s been 7 weeks since my onsite interview, still waiting for the result.

Hi Heather,

I enjoy reading your blog. It’s very informational. Thanks!

I wanted ask about the process of having a candidate who had an onsite interview waiting, because it’s been 7weeks since my onsite interview and waiting for the result.

I’ve read that after an onsite interview, very few people might have to wait 2 months. I was wondering, if the person is a "No Hire" do they tell you immediately rather than having that person wait?

Is no-News yet, a good news?

Please advise.

Thanks a bunch!!!

7. HeatherLeigh says:

Phil-OK, I’ll stop excerpting. I saw other bloggers mention that their readers prefer excerpts with links to whole articles. Since it sounds like that isn’t preferred here (OK by me wither way), I’ll know it off. Peter-good luck on that interview with Jason…he’s an interesting guy and I’m sure it will be a great listen! Patiently- yikes. That’s not good. No, it’s not common practice at all. The recruiter should have gotten back to you either way. Please send me an e-mail at heathham@microsoft.com and let me know who you are and what recruiter you are working with and I’ll send them a gentle reminder e-mail. We will make sure that someone closes the loop with you. I apologize that you havne’t heard anything back.

8. daryllmc says:

I gotta with Phil on the full text thing. I find myself taking you on plane rides as well and that would seriously harsh my buzz.

On a side note, I see a lot of discussion around some "content producers" syndicating excerpts to bring people to their sites (to see ads, build their traffic numbers, etc.). IMO, the readership of a blog makes a good post.

Heather, yours is one of those blogs that has a great, active reader base that post interesting comments. And the fact that you create a "dialogue" via your posts [by replying to comments] brings me back.

As long as your blog continues to have great active readers I’ll actually visit the site to read your posts. So 1) kudos to you for your interesting posts and 2) kudos to your readers for engaging in conversation.

9. HeatherLeigh says:

Daryll, you are so nice (and so right about the readers here)…the dialog keeps me coming back too ; )

10. Mark says:

Can anyone help a recent college graduate out with a jobster invite? You can view my resume @

http://www.geocities.com/mark_r_mortensen. I do have 4 college level degrees and am looking to make contacts. mark.r.mortensen@gmail.com

Skip to main content