What kind of English do you Speak?

Wow, I have to say that this is pretty much what I suspected. Given that I’ve lived all over, I would consider myself a General American English speaker (I aspire to that anyway) but when I hear myself speak, there’s a bit of midwestern something in there. I wouldn’t call it upper midwestern but since they are calling Dixie, “Dixie”, I assume that Oklanhoma, Kentucky, etc., are considered midwestern, so maybe Chicago is “upper”. Thanks to my mom (pronounced like “mahm”) for the 5% Dixie. And I assume all you New Yawkers are Yanks….I’ve never associated myself with that term, even when I was told to my face that I am one (in the South, it’s everyone who isn’t southern). I think there’s more than simple geography in those categories.

Your Linguistic Profile:

75% General American English
20% Upper Midwestern
5% Dixie
0% Midwestern
0% Yankee

via Scott atTales from the Sharpside

1. Alex says:

Wow, you are waaaaaaaay to far out west. 🙂

I’m gonna say that Upper Midwestern refers to the Minnesota/Wisconsin accent… as in "I’m goin’ to take my tooost on the boooot" (toast on the boat).

Did you answer that "route" rhymes with "boot"?

For what it’s worth, I was 80% General American, 15% Upper Midwestern, and 5% Yankee, which is just about right.

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Alex-Illinois is south of Wisconsin and Minnesota, and Chicago is a little to the east. Not West.

3. 0% yankee? we would never work out!

Like the new blog skin!

4. Andy says:

Heh. this is what I got:

70% General American English

15% Upper Midwestern

10% Yankee

5% Midwestern

0% Dixie

not bad for guy who did not grow up in an English speaking area. All the kids I knew spoke Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, or German at home. I think our grade school english teacher hated us she was hard core Brittish but maybe she rubbed off on us at least enough that I don’t have to bad of an accent when I speak.

5. Here are my results; however they are slightly skewed since I didn’t quite have an answer for a couple of them so I arbitrarily selected something

60% General American English

20% Yankee

10% Dixie

5% Midwestern

5% Upper Midwestern

Not bad for a Newfoundlander I s’pose. I was expecting more of a wtf type reply 🙂

6. Rachel says:

Your Linguistic Profile:

65% General American English

15% Upper Midwestern

10% Dixie

5% Midwestern

5% Yankee

Interesting findings considering I grew up in very rural (and not so literate Wyoming)..

8. While I doubt that it is very scientific, the results were interesting:

Your Linguistic Profile:…

9. Nathan says:

Anonymous is so anonymous that even his/her speech patterns refuse to be analyzed. So, <a href="http://www.blogthings.com/whosyourinnereuropeanquiz/">who‘s your inner European</a>, Anonymous? Swiss?

10. 75% General American English

15% Upper Midwestern

5% Dixie

5% Midwestern

0% Yankee

The Dixie must be from my time I lived in Atlanta. 🙂

11. The Upper Midwest is also Michigan I would suspect since that is where I was raised and scored high on.

12. Anil says:

I grew up in Bombay. Therefore, I speak Hinglish (Hindi + English) with my Indian friends. I speak a mix of Queen’s English and General American English with my American friends. Having lived in the U.S. for 9 years, I have gradually acquired a hint of an accent that is General American.

Being a native of Chicago, I can pronounce a few words in an Upper Midwestern accent (with some effort):

‘Fyancy’ – Fancy

‘Nyancy’ – Nancy

‘Mahm’ – Mom

‘Vaadka’ – Vodka

I have some colleagues from Texas. They speak General American English, but this is the way they pronounce certain words:

‘Saa’ – Saw

‘Laa’ – Law

13. HeatherLeigh says:

OK, it was silly, but intersting…

…who knew about all the Brits coming here? Cool. I hope none of them saw me at the Tower of London with the worst hangover of my life (April 1997…anyone?). It felt like the whole country was watching and laughing at me ; )

…and isn’t it cool how we are all sharing where we came from (OK, grammar police, back off….from whence we came)…

and, I’d like to buy the world a Coke…a soda…a pop…oh forget it.

14. Eric Peterson says:

Hey Heather, First-time postah to your blog, though I’ve been following and enjoying for a few months now. I’m what I would assume is categorized as "Yankee," being from Boston.

Here’s a link to a wicked-funny breakdown of the oft-dumbfounding accent:

15. HeatherLeigh says:

Eric-I am pretty sure that Boston is another dialect altogether ; ) I’m sure it amuses people to no end when I hear a strong Boston accent and in my Chicago accent say "can you understand what he’s talking about?" I guess it’s comforting to know there’s an accent out there stronger than mine.

Anil-good job of describing the midwestern accent!

16. Sara says:

Yep…that would pretty well represent Cajun Country — although there could be some questions in there that would absolutely create another category of "Cajun French." 🙂

55% General American English

40% Dixie

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

0% Yankee

17. Cody says:

Here were my results:

55% General American English

25% Yankee

15% Dixie

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

Can someone explain what do "Dixie" people speak like? I have no idea about that one. And what exactly do "Yankee" people speak like?

I come from New York City, so it’s not that surprising that 25% of my vocabulary is NYC-oriented.