Major airlines starting to reconsider allowing cell phones

Thanks the deity of your choice for this one. Since I have moved into my current building, I’ve been in 2 separate offices that attracted cell phone users; one because it was outside of a training room and now because I am near an exit by bunch of cubes where people can’t have a private conversation. What I’ve noticed since I’ve been here is:

1) People on cell phones talk much louder than people speaking or even people on regular phones

2) Because people tend to be making personal calls, there’s more silly giggling and more “dude”s or “honey”s and recaps of social excursions. Much more distracting than business conversation.

3) Some people think that holding that electronic device up to their ear makes them invisible.

4) It also gives them a blind spot around anyone else within earshot, even if that person rudely pushes their door closed with their foot ; )

Seriously, cannot imagine one of these people sitting next to me on a plane! There’s not enough wine in Italy to make me OK with that.

1. Sanketh says:

One reason why people are loud on cell phones as compared to regular landlines is that in regular landline phones, a small component of your speech is diverted back into the headset. People who have gotten used to landlines miss this when they move to cell phones (which, for some reason, don’t do this) and talk louder because they think they aren’t loud enough.

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Interesting Sanketh…thanks for the info!

3. Mom says:

Lets not forget- they weave when they drive

and they are oblivious at a 4-way stop as to

when they arrived and when it’s their turn to go. Grrrrrr . . .

I know–this is a slightly different subject-phoning while driving.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah! You tell ’em Mom!

5. Mark Tookey says:

Personally, I think I would rather walk than have to sit on the plane next to someone on their phone. Some trains in Britain have cars where phones are banned, just so people can get away from the yapping.

6. Patblue says:

I dread this – all of it. I would be arrested for air rage. I cannot stand cell phone useage in my personal space. Having someone force their conversation on me with no escape would put me over the edge I fear, at 35k feet this will be a nightmare. I see many ruined cell phones by angst ridden passengers and flight staff. "oops, that turbulence was so bad it knocked the coffee right out of my hand, I hope your ear isn’t burned badly…and your phone is ruined??? oh, I do apologize for that, really I do."

7. HeatherLeigh says:

Mark-sounds like you Brits have it right!

8. Mark Tookey says:

Funny the subject of "accidental" cellphone destruction should be raised – my dad commutes by train in the UK every day to work, and he has witnessed a person’s cellphone meet just such a fate. Said individual was engaged in a personal conversation at full volume when it just became too much for one fellow passenger – they got up, seized the phone and tossed it out of the window onto the tracks (at 100 plus miles an hour!!). The funny thing is, when the phone’s owner summoned the train staff, every single person in the car denied having seen anything and claimed the person must be halucinating….

9. Aaron Weiker says:

Long time listener, first time caller. (Always wanted to say that, no it’s not true).

This is why I bought a mp3 player (not going to mention the brand, will get called a traitor). It’s entire purpose in life is to keep me company while I fly. With the appropriate headphones it even has the capability of blocking out that annoying engine noise. Oh, this is also one of the reasons that I program in headphones.

10. HeatherLeigh says:

Mark-that’s funny. I think that’s called vigilante justice here! They may have invented that in Texas…ask your wife..she may know.

Aaron-it’s OK. I have one too. I also just bought the in-ear earphones that are supposed to block out the noise. I wanted the big ones but I’m not spending that much on earphones quite yet.