Get Abstract

I often wonder how people find the time to read business books. I can never get through all the things I need or want to read. At this very moment, I have 3 months worth of magazines stacked up next to my fire place. I’m trying to decide: entertaining reading material or fire starter. Better decide before it gets too warm outside. That’s not to mention the basket of work related articles, e-mails, etc., that I had sitting in a pretty little basket in my office. Who gave me the advice to take it home? It’s sitting under a console table by my front door.  And I started a new basket in my office! Ahhhhh! At home,  I have shelves and shelves of novels waiting to have their spines cracked (most purchased at a discount, I’ll have you know). And lots of business books at work that mock me; “Heather..you need to read me..how else will you understand ‘The War for Talent’ and ‘How to Make your Contacts Count’? And I sit in the library so I keep getting more free books. Who could resist?

Reading used to be my favorite hobby, after being a control freak. Now the fact that I can’t get a handle on all of my reading (refer to hobby #2), has made me totally lose it (refer to hobby #1). This is leading me to hobby #3…wine. Like Susan Powter said…”stop the insanity!”.

Anyway, here’s a link to a site that was forwarded by one of my co-workers (thanks Nancy!). Getabstract.com provides abstracts of the most popular business books. You can prove your mastery of the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People over martinis…because you’ll have time for a social life if you don’t have to read the whole book.  Plus you won’t have to endure the giggles of co-workers when they realize what you’ve been reading (just a not that my copy of “Dealing with People You Can’t Stand” was purchased well before I started here, but it gets a few laughs when people see it). I generally find that most of these kinds of books stretch out simple concepts so the book has some heft (for $17.95, there better be). So why not skip the fluff and get to the good stuff? Like having a life (Or in my case, getting one)!

1. Hey Heather,

You’re situation isn’t all that uncommon. However, I caution you with one phrase that has changed my life forever and based on your career path, I’m going to jump out and presume it will affect you too…

"You’ll be the same person in 5 years as you are today, except for the people you meet and the books you read."

By no means am I suggesting the person you are today is insufficient, but I’d be willing to bet you have some plans for personal growth over the next 5 years.

The abstracts site is a good one. You might also try http://www.audible.com (especially if you commute much) for audio books, and then you might look into systems like the Evelyn Wood speed reading system, using the OPIR system, using rip-n-read for magazines, etc. There are many ways to get the gist without wasting time. And yes – you can and should have a life! Good Luck!

2. Pradeep says:

A superfluous list of unread books and an office next to library – maybe there is a theme here, eh Heather? 🙂
    <br>
    <br>I’ve used my driving time to hear some of the biz books (thanx to the library at my current place of work) Ofcourse i am categorizing the Dilbert principle &amp; The Hitchhikers galaxy (I work with engineers dont I) along with the Gung Ho! set as biz books.

3. michael says:

Which marketing books are the most popular around microsoft?If any?

4. Anonymous says:

BusinessBits &raquo; Will Devin Get An MBA? Nope.

5. Xavier Ashe says:

Take a look at http://www.summary.com. It has a better selection and better prices. I have been a subscriber for about two years now.

6. Heather says:

Interesting perspective Brian. I have actually been considering speed reading (my commute is all of about 7 minutes). I have mixed feelings about it because I like to read for pleasure too. Can you kind of turn your ability to speed read off and just enjoy a book or are you always a speed reader?

Pradeep-I love books. I can’t help it. I even love the smell of them. Weird, weird, weird.

Xavier-thanks!

7. Heather says:

Michael-I’m not sure. I’m a mis-fit in the library since I don’t actually work for the library…just an office space thing. But I do get the free books. From what I understand, when a new book comes out and there’s big demand, they buy a bunch and then when demand wanes, they give away some. I have Carolyn 101, The Hidden Power of Social Networks, Microsoft Rebooted, Making your COntacts Count, The War for Tealnt. I don’t htink that makes them popular though. I think it just means there’s been a drop-off in demand for those books. There isn’t really a book that I consistently see in peoples’ offices around here.

8. Anonymous says:

DarrenBarefoot hates business books

9. Speed reader says:

Do you want to speed read?

Try some experiments by yourself.

First experiment: Open the text editor and delete all blanks from the text. Try to read. Do you well. What’s wrong? Look to yourself and try to understand your reading strategy. How douse your eyes path throw the text. How do you understand how does words separate?

Second reading experiment: Delete from the text the next letters "a,o,i,e". Can you read the text now? Try to understand how do you read and how do you understand the words.

Third reading experiment: Mix the letters from the words. Amaze that you can read the mixing text!

Forth experiment: Print the text and make strips from the text. Mix the strips. Try to read this text. Try to understand how do you read this text.

Fifth experiment: Skim the text by 1 min. Think about reading. Skim the text by 1 min. Think about reading. Skim the text by 1 min. Think about reading. Skim the text by 1 min. Think about reading.

Read the text from back to front. Fix you eyes two times on each lines. Skim the text. Try to read foreign language text.

The main purpose for speed reader person is to understand how this person read! You need to read and look to yourself from out side. Try to decide how you can improve you reading rate. All text contains 50% of garbage. You can’t absorb all information what you’re read. Use online free trainings on http://www.ababasoft.com/words/ . Some training randomly deletes letters from the text. Anther free online training delete wolves letter. One of trainings strips the text so you can’t read the text in line strategy.

Speed reading is not magic!

10. Speed reader says:

Do you want to speed read?

Try some experiments by yourself.

Speed reading is not magic!

11. Janice says:

Speaking of Susan Powter, i hear she’s back with a new television show on E! coming soon. Amazing buisness women in my opinion, she found her nitche and made millions. Sorry about the total tangent, take care folks.

-janice