One of my blog readers just got an offer from Microsoft!

I’m not going to say who it is because that is his business and he can let us know if he likes and you can ask him all the questions you like about the process he went through and his new role, etc. He’s a frequent commenter here and I (assuming he accepts the offer) am thrilled that he will be part of Microsoft! Woo hoo!

It’s a happy day for me when one of my readers gets an offer here…we must be doing something right (he mentioned that the blog helped him prepare and he took my post-superbowl job board advice).

OK, who’s next? Anyone? Buehler?

1. Steve R says:

Oh oh can I be next??? Or is the question "will I be next".

Congrats to whoever it was hehe.

2. it wasn’t me 🙁

Heather said you couldn’t work for microsoft if you don’t like USC

3. Heather says:

I did not! You are so bad Scott!

4. Alex says:

Me me me me me me!

Well, except I don’t think "family concerns" will let me move out of the midwest. Too bad… that job at Amazon would’ve been nice!

5. Nathan says:

Kudos.

6. Well, I had my first interview with Microsoft last Thursday, but no follow-up yet. The letter they gave says I should hear a response in about another week.

I did make a mistake in thinking the interview was this Thursday so luckily career services gave me a call so I was only about five minutes late.

My interviewer did say I was the first for the day to get completely through a line of thought for how to "shuffle" a "deck" of 52 numbers. It would seem the logical conclusion he was looking for was to do a *random* number of swaps of randomly chosen "cards". The key was the *random* number of swaps so that the randomness wasn’t predictable.

The other question I was asked was how to reverse a string which seems to be a favorite. I gave the first answer that came to my mind of spliting the string into an array at line breaks and then output the array in reverse order.

With luck, I’ll be chosen for an internship this upcoming summer.

7. Aaron Weiker says:

Well, not to toot my own horn or anything, but count me as another reader who was hired by Microsoft in the past week.

8. I’m glad people are getting offers…. people like myself (111 days and counting) and Chris Buckley (of http://my-microsoft-diary.blogspot.com/ fame) have been waiting for months! Good luck in your new roles and for those waiting, keep fighting the good fight.

Farhan

9. Heather says:

Brant…hope you hear back soon!

Aaron-congrats! I had no idea..totally schweet! ; )

Farhan-you are very kind! Keep at it!

10. The BlogDiva is doing a great job.

Congrats to all you new MS hires. Make us Heather groupies proud!

I would apply to MS but my wife does not want to move away from family again in the Midwest.

11. Mark Tookey says:

Can we all consider ourselves "Heather groupies" (there go the rabbit ears!)?? Don’t think I’ve ever been a groupie before…

Mark

12. Pradeep says:

Geee Thanx Heather – all this publicity 🙂

But seriously I never thought HotJobs and Monster.com worked…. and how!

I just put my resume in that and during the second half of Superbowl when the Eagles were getting crushed (damn – I live in Philly, remember)

From the time of uploading to HotJobs to the time of unofficial offer – 45 days!!

From the time of my first cold-call from the microsoft recruiter to the recruiter – 25 days!

And all this when I been I been a Heather groupie since the inception here and an active Microsoft persuant for 3 yrs!!!

I will be glad to talk abt the process(es) and role etc – once its all set – so gimme a week on that.

🙂

OH wat fun!

13. Heather says:

You guys are all "so funny" (bunny ears intended) ; )

Good deal Pradeep..thanks for stepping out from behind the curtain and welcome to Microsoft! We’re so glad you are joining us! Maybe you can help me install the new bonsai tree and water fall in my office (as if!)

14. Adam says:

I just glanced through the comments… and didn’t notice anyone saying… Isn’t it "Bueller"? not "Buehler"… or maybe I missed some inside joke or something.

15. Gautam says:

that’s great news !!

congrats mystery person ! And congrats heather!

16. Gautam says:

ooops

Missed that comment from Pradeep !

Congrats Pradeep!

17. Heather says:

Adam-I think that is because my normal readers are beyond correcting my spelling. I could take the time to look that stuff up but I guess I am not that worried about it since this is a blog and informal. And correcting other folks grammar and spelling isn’t really that interesting. Sorry. I’m just not going to be that worried about it.

18. Adam says:

Heather-I wasn’t trying to be mean or condescending or anything… just a funny observation. I just love Ferris Bueller’s Day Off 🙂

And, I’m from Spokane… and Ben Stein is in Spokane quite often (becaue he has a place in North Idaho)… so it was a little extra funny to me I guess.

No hard feelings 🙂

19. Heather says:

OK, OK, Adam. I just get folks trolling for grammar and spelling mistakes a lot. No harm done.

20. Tony says:

Hey Heather!

Just started reading your blogs; quite interesting :o) Currently in Japan and travelling with Up With People – you know the bunch of young people that used to sing at the very first Super Bowl Half-Time Shows…

Anyway, I have a flyback to be scheduled when I get back home so in the meantime, I’ll be religiously reading your blogs to prepare myself as much as possible. Maybe I’ll be able to add my name to the "your blog readers that got hired". :o)

See ya!

21. Heather says:

Tony…good for you! I hope you do add your name to that list!

22. D-man says:

Wow…. I feel like Sally Field when she won the Oscar… "You really like me!" – Congrates Pradeep!